Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Passenger Trains > Next Gen Bi-Level Passenger Rail Car Design Approved

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/31/10 11:13
Next Gen Bi-Level Passenger Rail Car Design Approved
Author: jdellachiesa

The following news release was issued today by Amtrak Media Relations. It will be available this afternoon in the News & Media Section of Amtrak.com.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

August 31, 2010

NEXT GENERATION BI-LEVEL PASSENGER RAIL CAR DESIGN APPROVED BY AMTRAK, FRA, AND STATES
Supports Amtrak fleet renewal and replacement plan and the growth of state-supported corridor service

WASHINGTON – The approval of performance and technical design specifications for next generation bi-level passenger rail cars is a major achievement that supports Amtrak’s plans to advance and support the growth of new or existing state-supported corridor service, renew and replace its national fleet and foster the development of a domestic rail manufacturing industry.

“This clears the tracks and provides strong direction so Amtrak and states can move forward with modern bi-level equipment designed with updated passenger comfort, conveniences and safety features to meet the ever-increasing demand for more rail service,” said Amtrak President and CEO Joseph Boardman.

Today, Amtrak, the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA), and interested states approved the new design as part of a Next Generation Corridor Equipment Pool Committee established under Section 305 of the Passenger Rail Investment and Improvement Act (PRIIA) of 2008. Host freight railroads, passenger railroad equipment manufacturers and other passenger rail operators participated in the technical discussions as well.

The bi-level passenger car specifications are the first to be issued by the Section 305 committee and include three car types for use in corridor intercity passenger rail service: coach car, cab / baggage car, and café / lounge car. It is the third generation of the popular California Car design first introduced in the 1990s and subsequently advanced with Amtrak’s Surfliner equipment. The approved design specifications are available here.

Approval of this design supports the growth of state-supported passenger rail routes because the FRA has indicated that Federal funding support for the acquisition for equipment used in corridor services must meet the design specifications resulting from the work of the Section 305 committee.

Boardman explained that the finalization of this design also supports Amtrak’s implementation of a comprehensive Fleet Strategy Plan to replace and expand its national fleet of locomotives and passenger rail cars. This plan includes the priority replacement of approximately 250 of its bi-level Superliner 1 equipment that have been in service for nearly 30 years. With the bi-level design specifications now in place for corridor service, Amtrak can move forward with using this design as the foundation for the development of new bi-level long-distance equipment to replace these aging Superliners.
The PRIIA Section 305 requirements were developed to primarily promote the creation of a pool of standardized, interoperable equipment for Amtrak and the states to use in various state-sponsored corridors with flexibility and efficiency. This pool equipment is meant to largely share design elements and systems in order to improve maintainability and lower design and acquisition costs. It can also incentivize the creation of domestic manufacturing capacity for intercity passenger rail equipment.

# # #

Jarrod DellaChiesa
Oakley, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/10 11:13 by jdellachiesa.

Date: 08/31/10 11:26
Re: Next Gen Bi-Level Passenger Rail Car Design Approve
Author: joemvcnj

I would hope there would be some step-down transition cars for the corridor version. They would be occasional need to mix with Amfleet and Horizon.

Date: 08/31/10 11:26
Author: Lackawanna484

Thanks for sharing this information.

I wonder if the new generation of the Surfliner equipment will be configured for use in the Hudson River and Baltimore tunnels? Getting the notches right is critical for fitting in the Hudson River tunnels

Date: 08/31/10 11:33

No way can they make eastern tunnel clearances. It requires an overall roof height of 14'6" and tapered or beveled top/sides and ends. Even the LIRR C-3 cars, which can barely make it into NYPS from the east, cannot clear the Hudson River tunnels. There is no such thing as a universal bi-level car.

NJT's tunnel is a dead-end affair even if it can clear Superliners.

Date: 08/31/10 13:36
Author: GP25

I wish they got more of these Cars. Back when they made the 2nd
Generation/Surfliner Cars.

I guess. they aren't going to includ Business Class Cars?
Will the Pacific Surfliner Route be the only route with
Business Class Bi-Level Cars?

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 08/31/10 13:46
Author: shoretower

This is a major achievement for Amtrak, considering how many interested parties were involved in the negotiations. It's a major step forward for Amtrak. Now that there are specificiations, Amtrak and the states can start procuring equipment.

Date: 08/31/10 14:17
Author: sactobob

GP25 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish they got more of these Cars. Back when they
> made the 2nd
> Generation/Surfliner Cars.
>
> I guess. they aren't going to includ Business
> Class Cars?
> Will the Pacific Surfliner Route be the only route
> with
> Business Class Bi-Level Cars?

Configuring the seating for Business Class is a minor matter which can be accomplished within the basic car shell design.

Date: 08/31/10 14:41
Author: Mudrock

Could Superliner cars come into Penn Station New York City via the west side line?

Chris

Date: 08/31/10 14:50
Author: floridajoe2001

I think this is great. Love the Surfliner equipment. But will we ever really get any? I'm not so sure at this point.

Before we get too excited, don't forget Amtrak plans call for acquiring new cars over an incredibly long thirty years, and we will probably lose our favorable political climate in November.

I have a lot of foreboding about Amtrak's "bright future" under the coming Republican Congress--they just don't like Amtrak very much. But what the heck, at least we're "talking" about new cars.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/10 14:52 by floridajoe2001.

Date: 08/31/10 14:51
Author: Lackawanna484

Mudrock Wrote:
> Could Superliner cars come into Penn Station New
> York City via the west side line?
>
> Chris

I don't believe they would clear the short tunnel from 37th, under the Javits Center, and the loop into NY Penn. My understanding is even the Great Dome didn't make the cut

Date: 08/31/10 14:55
Author: hillhippy

Amtrak and Caltrans bought as many Surfliners as funding would allow. I know Caltrans increased their order from 6 cars to ultimately 22.

These cars are designed with seat tracks to allow the easy changing of seat pitch, for things like business class.

Date: 08/31/10 15:41
Author: Jishnu

Mudrock Wrote:
> Could Superliner cars come into Penn Station New
> York City via the west side line?
>
> Chris

No.

Date: 08/31/10 15:51
Author: filmteknik

Why do Superliners need replacement? It's a big stainless steel box. Gut if if you want to and put in new guts...and in the case of Superliner-I's, new trucks under them. But why do they need to throw away the big stainless steel box?

Date: 08/31/10 16:07

< Could Superliner cars come into Penn Station New York City via the west side line? >

An F40 and NJT PL-42's won't even fit. 14'6" is all you get.
Even if they could, they'd be useless. There are all high-level platforms from Poughkeepsie and on down.

Date: 08/31/10 16:20
Author: GP25

This is just about the Surfliner Style Car. That is used
in the corridor Services.
Like here in California and in the Midwest Corridor.
Not the long distance Cars

filmteknik Wrote:
> Why do Superliners need replacement? It's a big
> stainless steel box. Gut if if you want to and
> put in new guts...and in the case of
> Superliner-I's, new trucks under them. But why do
> they need to throw away the big stainless steel
> box?

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 08/31/10 17:13
Author: krapplem

GP25 Wrote:
> This is just about the Surfliner Style Car. That
> is used
> in the corridor Services.
> Like here in California and in the Midwest
> Corridor.
> Not the long distance Cars
>
>
> filmteknik Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Why do Superliners need replacement? It's a
> big
> > stainless steel box. Gut if if you want to and
> > put in new guts...and in the case of
> > Superliner-I's, new trucks under them. But why
> do
> > they need to throw away the big stainless steel
> > box?

The release states that the design will be used as a basis for replacement of long distance Superliners also.

Date: 08/31/10 17:34
Author: MEKoch

All right, I am ready for the State of Ohio to order about 30 cars for their new 3C corridor service.

Date: 08/31/10 18:22
Author: Jaanfo

GP25 Wrote:
> I guess. they aren't going to includ Business
> Class Cars?
> Will the Pacific Surfliner Route be the only route
> with
> Business Class Bi-Level Cars?

Business Class Cars are coaches with more leg room and a countertops, the specification for the coach cars will cover for the business class with regards to FRA approval.

As has been mentioned these designs will form the basis of a Superliner III car, and don't worry about the political climate... Whatever is the safest political course of action will be executed no matter who is in office.

Date: 08/31/10 19:06
Author: floridajoe2001

The HSPUpdate site I belong to has released these new specs in detail along with some drawings on how they will look. In addition, the specs for single level cars, as well as "Amfleet Replacement Cars" are shown. The info is technical, but here a few things that might interest railfans:

HIGH LEVEL CARS (for use on high-speed corridors, not as replacement for the LD Superliners)
. These appear identical to Surfliner coach and coach baggage cars to me.
. There is a separate Business Class car with a rear-of-car module for drinks and snacks.
. There is a separate food service car with booths on one end, and coach seats with tables on the other. Serving area is in the center. Conductor has enclosed office on lower level.
. Here are a few general specs I like:

--All seats will be properly aligned with window post in order to insure maximum passenger viewing; cars can have either enclosed overhead bins or open racks with bracing (whatever purchaser wants).
--Interior will be of high gloss laminate material. Colors can we applied with gel coat if desired.
--luggage racks, seat back trays, etc. will be designed to avoid rattles.

SINGLE LEVEL CARS: (inter-city cars and Amfleet replacement cars look the same)

. Cars are flat sided, and look somewhat like Horizon cars but with bigger windows. They all will ride on Viewliner-l trucks.
. food service car is a completely dedicated car (no AmCafee here) with tables and booths. The food attendant and service counter is at one end of the car. The conductor has an enclosed office in this car.

AMFLEET REPLACEMENT CARS:

. They come in coach and business class formats.
. Food service car is configured differently from the inter-city version. It is also a dedicated car with the attendant at one end, but it has table seating on one side of the car, and "stand up" tables on the other side.
. There is also a cab car version with a nose cone that looks identical to the Metroliner cab cars now being used on the Keystone trains.

Joe

Date: 08/31/10 21:35
Author: MarinCommuter

floridajoe2001 Wrote:

> --luggage racks, seat back trays, etc. will be
> designed to avoid rattles.
>
> Joe

That item alone is reason for celebration.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2078 seconds