Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Passenger Trains > Question about Amtrak East coast over night trains

Date: 12/23/10 06:41
Question about Amtrak East coast over night trains
Author: CS890

Does Amtrak provide blankets for those riding in the Amfleet IIs?

I'm on #19 tonight DC to ATL.

CS 890

Date: 12/23/10 06:56
Re: Question about Amtrak East coast over night trains
Author: Genesis803

I've never known Amtrak to provide free blankets to coach passengers on any train. I'm sure you can purchase one in the lounge car. Have a good trip!

Date: 12/23/10 07:08
Author: RevRandy

The days of the complimentary blankets are long gone.

I would recommend stopping by your local pharmacy (such as Walgreens, CVS, etc) and purchasing one of their inexpensive micro-fibre "throws" which are small enough to convenient carry (they roll up easily) but big enough to cover you. These have a fleecy and so are quite comfortable.

I also always have with me one of those inflatable neck pillows very useful for upright sleeping(which can be used as a regular pillow too), eye-shades, and ear plugs. All of these items can probably be purchased at the same store as the blanket. You will be amazed at how much better one can sleep with stray light and much of the noise taken away!

Add in some simple sleep aid (like Melatonin or Rescue Remedy) or analgesic (like Tylenol PM) taken about 30 minutes before desired sleep, avoid caffeine and excessive alcohol, and I think you will notice the difference too.

Ah, to be warm, comfortable, drowsy, on the way to where one wants to be, without any responsibility for driving, etc., lulled to sleep by the gentle motion of the Crescent -- now, that is traveling.

Date: 12/23/10 07:10
Author: cashfare

No they do not, its best to bring your own pillow & blanket. With 60 people in a coach its also impossible to keep the temperature at everyone's idea of comfortable, so one passenger is freezing, while the next passenger is burning up. Amtrak does provide tiny little pillows, but one from home is always more comfortable. Small blankets are available for sale in the lounge car.

Date: 12/23/10 08:05
Author: joemvcnj

The Amfleet-2's are freezing in the night, even in summer, especially in the aisle seats.

Date: 12/23/10 12:49
Author: robj

Training for Survivor? Let me know if you meet Fabio.

Bob

Date: 12/23/10 13:24
Author: chessiegp39

Get a Snuggy!

Date: 12/23/10 18:34
Author: wa4umr

By now you probably know that they don't supply the blankets. On the other hand, pick up a lightweight fleece blanket at Target or Wally*world. They roll up pretty tight and are easy to transport. Pound for pound and $ for $ they are pretty warm. Then again, a Snuggie sounds like a good idea.

John

Date: 12/24/10 13:27
Author: zephyr18

If snuggies become popular for Amtrak travelers (I have to admit they kind of make sense), I am suddenly seeing a mental image of coaches appearing to be filled with renegade monks...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0297 seconds