Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Passenger Trains > Engineer at Texas State Railroad Retires After 36 Years

Date: 02/15/11 15:02
Engineer at Texas State Railroad Retires After 36 Years
Author: TexasStateRR

Roger Graham, Texas State Railroad Chief Mechanical Officer, will retire from the railroad after over 36 years of service, on February 16, 2011.

During his time at the Texas State Railroad Graham held many titles. He began as a part of the Bridge and Track Crew, and then worked as locomotive hostler and fireman. In 1977 he was promoted to engineer on both steam and diesel locomotives. Graham has also played a vital role in training, shop operations, and engine restoration, including the recent restoration of Engine 300 in September 2009 and the current restoration of Engine 400.

“I really have enjoyed working with all the people at the railroad,” said Roger Graham. “And seeing the smiles on riders’ faces and hope they enjoyed what we do as much as I have enjoyed doing it.”

While at the Texas State Railroad, Roger Graham had the opportunity to pull some important trains. He was part of 18 films shot at the railroad; some of the notable films are “The Great Debaters” and “American Outlaws.” He also pulled most of the Governor’s trains starting with Dolph Briscoe all the way to Rick Perry, only missing George Bush. Graham has given over 36 years of service to the Texas State Railroad and his knowledge and experience are very much appreciated.

"Old Engineers never retire they just keep on 'steaming' through life. Roger Graham has been a true team member at the Texas State Railroad for 36 years, willing to be a leader at every assigned task. In fact, there is probably no job at the railroad that Roger has not done. We will all miss him day to day, but somehow I think he will always be a part of the Texas State Railroad's future," said Owner of American Heritage Railways, Allen C. Harper.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds