Home Open Account Help 364 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 06/07/11 18:55
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/21 23:52 by F40PHR231.

Date: 06/07/11 19:20
Re: Nor'eastour: Acela Express to Boston
Author: hsr_fan

Sorry to hear about your ankle, hope it's feeling better! Thanks for sharing....just curious, you're from Cascades territory, right? How would you compare the Acela service to the Amtrak Cascades Talgo service? (Assuming you've ridden the latter....)

Date: 06/07/11 22:27
Author: Mgoldman

148 MPH... Cool!

Nice view of the Hell Gate Bridge, too.

/Mitch

Date: 06/08/11 01:09
Author: poffcapt

Anyone; What's the difference in 'tilt' technology between Acela and Talgo? Thanks.

Barry Stone
Edmonds, WA

Date: 06/08/11 05:21
Author: cutboy2

TRAINS magazine explains it well this month.

Date: 06/08/11 05:42
Author: shoretower

Acela uses an "active" tilt system. You can hear it cut in as a train pulls away from a station (and whir and a "clunk") and cut out as the train stops.

Talgo uses a passive "pendulum" suspension. The CofG is actually above the top of the train, so the carbody tilts inward on curves.

It's Hell Gate (singular), not "Hell's Gate". The mess in the Bronx was the Pelham Bay neighborhood, and the water was Pelham Bay. To the west, the enormous apartment buildings are Co-op City, a coop apartment complex built on the site of a short-lived 1960s amusement park called "Freedomland".

Speeds east of New Haven for Acela Express vary (lots of restrictions, down to 25 MPH in New London), but there is some 125 MPH running just east of New Haven. And of course, once you pass Westerly there are two stretches of 150.

Thanks for the report. It's nice to see familiar things through the eyes of a Westerner -- makes me appreciate my neighborhood a bit more.

By the way, the tilework in the former IRT subway is nice. Thanks for noticing. The MTA white-on-black signage is in Helvetica typeface, very readable. And I like the TV screens showing diversions for maintenance work. Part of my job used to be planning and scheduling track work, but in the 1980s we had to print posters to advise riders of service diversions.

Date: 06/08/11 10:10
Author: toledopatch

F40PHR231 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> 18) Somewhere north of NY, plenty of trash and
> dilapidated buildings.

Oh, you're still very much IN New York for that shot -- somewhere not too far east of old OAK tower at Oak Point Yard.

Date: 06/08/11 11:25
Author: toledopatch

F40PHR231 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> toledopatch Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > F40PHR231 Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> >
> > > 18) Somewhere north of NY, plenty of trash
> and
> > > dilapidated buildings.
> >
> > Oh, you're still very much IN New York for that
> > shot -- somewhere not too far east of old OAK
> > tower at Oak Point Yard.
>
>
> I guess I should clarify that it's somewhere just
> north of New York City.

The Bronx is part of New York city. You exited the city a couple miles north of Pelham Bay Draw, when you entered Westchester County.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0743 seconds