Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 07/09/11 02:08
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/21 23:58 by F40PHR231.

Date: 07/09/11 03:42
Re: Nor'eastour: Boston Transit
Author: bandob

Just fantastic. I have really enjoyed your tour, thank you so much for sharing it with us, and standing your ground when necessary.

May I ask what camera you use?

B&OBill

Date: 07/09/11 05:16
Author: Lackawanna484

wonderful tour! thanks for sharing it with us

Date: 07/09/11 07:44
Author: stone23

Just great as usual, Chris!

When I worked for the T, eons ago, the stop location of the middle pic of your PCC ride was called Milton Lower Mills by the natives!

And, yes, Bostonians are usually "proper" people!

Bob K.

Date: 07/09/11 07:49
Author: keithinmiami

Great work ...enjoyed your posts. Thank you!

Date: 07/09/11 07:59
Author: BostonMaine

Thanks for the memories. I loved the shots of the various T lines. My family was from Revere and I was raised in Winchester. Oh, by the way, did you spot Charlie on any of those T subway trains?

Date: 07/09/11 08:04
Author: RS11

Many, many years ago I lived in Maine. I remember driving from Maine then would ride the "T" from Haverhill (I think it was) to North Station to visit a friend who worked at a fire house near there. Other thing I used to do was ride into North Station to go to a Bruins game. I guess these days I could take the train from Portland now.

Date: 07/09/11 10:00
Author: tq-07fan

This has been a great series. I have rode on most of what you've done here in the Northeast other than NYC. Boston is one of my favourite cities. The historic streetcars you saw are at Boylston, I think. And man you are spot on, Boston has an abundance of classy women. Of course I always stay focused on the trolleybus or streetcar or, or whatever it is I was supposed to be there for.

The Silverline bus should be clarified, it is actually known as a Dual Mode Articulated or DMA. It runs in the tunnel from South Station using trolleybus style overhead to power electric traction motors. When it gets to Silver Line Way the operator automatically retracts the trolley poles although a T inspector (supervisor) secures the trolley retriever ropes to boat like tie downs. The DMA then runs as a hybrid bus to Logan Airport or the other terminals and back to Silver Line Way. Back at Silver Line Way the trolley retriever ropes are freed and the poles are automatically raised to the trolley wires by the operator and runs as a trolleybus in the tunnel back to South Station. The DMA you rode should have been funded by MASSport and probably had luggage racks installed for the run to Logan. These DMAs were built in 2005 by Neoplan USA and unfortunately the bus manufacture quit in the middle of a large order for diesel buses for Boston (at bus 139) so it's hard to tell what will happen to these in the future or if any other manufacture will pick up the licensing and technology if desired.

Well that was more than I expected, needless to say I like the DMAs and followed their early existence.

Jim

Date: 07/09/11 11:15
Author: F40PHR231

bandob Wrote:
---------------------------------------
> May I ask what camera you use?

Nikon D300, 12-24 mm lens, and a 200-400 mm for the long shots.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/09/11 16:06
Author: Ray_Murphy

Thanks for the great series of posts. I was in Boston for a few days at the beginning of June, and rode on about half of the lines you covered. Fortunately, the quilted jackets and coats were no longer needed!

Ray

Date: 07/09/11 16:31
Author: amtrak251

Fantastic series! From Boston originally (San Diego now) and I used to love riding the T with my grandfather who's name was Charlie. He would ride the T everyday to work in Downtown. At his funeral in '09 I stuck a "Charlie Ticket" that had a balance left on it in his coat pocket for the ride home. Thanks for sharing!

Jesse

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/11 16:33 by amtrak251.

Date: 07/09/11 19:28
Author: RuleG

Chris:

Thanks for sharing your excellent photos. I'm glad your Boston experiences were positive and that you found my suggestions were helpful.

Date: 07/10/11 12:31
Author: TheOssman

Nice pictures. Always interesting to see how someone who isn't from around here views it (I've lived relatively close to Boston my whole life). Appears you also managed to get a ride on all of the equipment types, though I don't see a picture of one of the newish Breda type 8 Green Line low floor cars. Older Green Line cars were at Boylston as previously noted. Blue Line transfer from third rail to overhead catenary and reverse does normally occur at Airport station, due to it normally being the longest stop on the line, but I've also been on it where it was done at Maverick. Silver Line is very convenient, and it does announce the airlines that are at each terminal for the five stops (A, C, E, and two at Terminal B). You also lucked out with taking off right over the city, I've only had four combined takeoffs and landings at Logan and they've always been over the ocean.

Date: 07/10/11 14:01
Author: 494

jesse, what an incredible sentiment...
F40PHR231, growing up on the south shore of boston and now living in oregon, i especially enjoyed & appreciate the mood of the last few photos of the return trip on the cascades. great series.

Date: 07/10/11 20:00
Author: ironmtn

Great, great series. I'm not a Bostonian, but have visited often enough over the years, and have ridden a number of the lines you portrayed. A very interesting system, which you captured well. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Honor is due.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds