Home Open Account Help 236 users online

Passenger Trains > TSA works to implement standards for U.S. HSR systems

Date: 01/16/12 09:59
TSA works to implement standards for U.S. HSR systems
Author: railstiesballast

This headline from the High Speed Rail Updates is all I have, I am not a subscriber and cannot access their report, however this is something to look for in the general media.
I fear that turning the TSA loose on rail passengers could be the "great equalizer": it would greatly reduce the economics and market appeal of rail travel vis-a-vis airlines.
While the airlines may quietly cheer this development, the real winners will be Ford and Exxon et al, as driving automobiles becomes the last bastion of free travel.

Date: 01/16/12 10:05
Re: TSA works to implement standards for U.S. HSR syste
Author: abyler

Monday, January 16, 2012
Securing security measures: TSA works to implement standards for U.S. HSR systems

High-speed rail (HSR) systems in the United States are years away from completion, but the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) already is working to establish security practices for the mode.

Last year, TSA officials in the mass transit and passenger-rail security division decided to begin actively developing security standards for future HSR systems. It’s best to implement security measures prior to beginning construction or detailed design work so that security measures can be integrated, according to a TSA official.

However, TSA officials realized that in order to obtain expert opinions on how to shape security standards, they would have to work with people who had implemented security measures on other high-speed systems — and for that, TSA had to round up security experts from overseas.

In September 2011, TSA held a meeting of the minds in Baltimore, bringing in 30 international HSR security experts to discuss how security measures had been implemented on systems in countries such as France, Germany, Japan and Europe, and how those measures could be adapted for U.S. HSR systems. TSA officials promised participants that by the end of the three-day conference, they would have a copy of best practices for U.S. high-speed rail security in hand to take with them.

And participants played an active role in creating that document. Participants were divided into three working groups: one focused on security operations for law enforcement officials; another that examined elements of a security plan, including best practices and training exercises; and a third that focused on how to protect HSR infrastructure by analyzing station design elements and right-of-way protections.

A group of facilitators and record keepers were on hand to monitor the activity within the working groups. Once the meeting adjourned for the day, those facilitators and record keepers worked with TSA officials to write up best security practices based on the day’s collaboration. When the meeting re-adjourned the next morning, participants had a living document to review, edit and discuss.

The group will meet again Feb. 15-17 in San Francisco to refine the best practices established during the Baltimore meeting. This time, more than 40 international experts will participate. The TSA official couldn’t discuss in detail what the working group would be discussing, but did say participants would be looking at passive measures in station design that can contribute to security. For example, security measures can be integrated with station-area components such as shrubbery, stairways and doors, he said.

Since the Baltimore meeting, the working group has kept in touch through conference calls and, more often, a web board, which enables group members to post, analyze and share information without having to factor in the various time zones where members are located.

And the working group likely will continue its communication after the San Francisco meeting. Security experts appreciate the opportunity to discuss practices and measures with other industry colleagues, the TSA official said. Security officials within the rail industry are particularly open to collaboration since many rail systems connect with or feed into one another, he added.

— Angela Cotey

Date: 01/16/12 12:25
Author: MEKoch

An utter waste of taxpayer dollars..........

Date: 01/16/12 13:40
Author: calzephyr48

Someone else had a post illustrating how HSR was going to die in California. Here's the final nail in that coffin...

Date: 01/16/12 13:55
Author: 2839Canadian

This is a complete waste of time and effort--HSR is NEVER going to be built in the U.S.--how is it going to be paid for? China is getting fed up with loaning us money.

The TSA really needs a significant budget cut.

Date: 01/16/12 15:12
Author: WAF

Turn them loose and will totally F it up

Date: 01/16/12 17:11
Author: Lackawanna484

Prior to the sad events of 9/11/2001, Continental Airlines built a luggage check in booth at the Newark Liberty airport's station on the NEC. The idea was you could drop your bag there, and CO would bring it directly to the plane for you.

Date: 01/16/12 18:29
Author: MSchwiebert

I wouln't be surprised if the TSA is formulating standards for stagecoach & canal services as well...but I expect no different from a useless organizaton in a bureaucracy that is rampant with them...

MEKoch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An utter waste of taxpayer dollars..........

Posted from BlackBerry

Date: 01/16/12 20:11
Author: cchan006

seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
> This is a complete waste of time and effort--HSR
> is NEVER going to be built in the U.S.--how is it
> going to be paid for? China is getting fed up
> with loaning us money.
>
> The TSA really needs a significant budget cut.

I'll say it again until everyone's head hurts. TSA's budget: $8 billion. Amtrak's budget: $2.6 billion.

It seems the "government" is footing the bill so the airlines don't have to spend money providing security. Why aren't the "pro-freedom" and "smaller government" pundits screaming foul here? (I can hear the pin drop) Such hypocrisy.

Personally, I'm not against what TSA is trying to do, but it's time to ignore and silence the anti-rail establishment's bias, who are ridiculously one-sided.

Date: 01/17/12 06:00
Author: OliveHeights

cchan006 Wrote:
> seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This is a complete waste of time and
> effort--HSR
> > is NEVER going to be built in the U.S.--how is
> it
> > going to be paid for? China is getting fed up
> > with loaning us money.
> >
> > The TSA really needs a significant budget cut.
>
> I'll say it again until everyone's head hurts.
> TSA's budget: $8 billion. Amtrak's budget: $2.6
> billion.
>
> It seems the "government" is footing the bill so
> the airlines don't have to spend money providing
> security. Why aren't the "pro-freedom" and
> "smaller government" pundits screaming foul here?
> (I can hear the pin drop) Such hypocrisy.
>
> Personally, I'm not against what TSA is trying to
> do, but it's time to ignore and silence the
> anti-rail establishment's bias, who are
> ridiculously one-sided.

The government came up with the security theater for the airlines, not the airlines themselves. The airline passengers pay for part of the security through taxes on each and every ticket. The government has not really set the same standard of security for Amtrak and only randomly check passengers. The government doesn't impose any taxes, that I am aware of, on Amtrak tickets, not for security or anything else. You are probably far more likely to be blown up on a train than an airplane. Lastly, how much of the $8 is spent on airline security and how much of the airline passenger tax dollar is spent on other modes of transportation?

Date: 01/17/12 06:38
Author: Lackawanna484

The government responds to what it perceives the public wants, or is scared into believing it wants. More people are killed in drunk driving accidents each year than in terrorist attacks on Americans, yet drunk driving laws remain woefully inadequate to get persistent drunks off the road.

People are fearful when they board planes, Fearful of crashing, catching some disease, of having somebody recline into them, of terrorists and hijackings, etc. Irrational, of course.

Trains are considered safe, somewhat more luxurious, not a source of fear. Like cars. What could possibly go wrong?

Dead is dead, whether you got that way via al Qaeda or Jack Daniels.

Date: 01/17/12 08:45
Author: jimB

Any advantage High Speed Rail might have over flying could go away if they impose security procedures similar to airlines.

Jim B

Date: 01/17/12 10:26
Author: djansson

Has anybody really taken a long hard look at was TSA REALLY DOES??????

I doubt it.

They make a BFD about toothpaste or fingernail clippers in your luggage, and GOD FORBID you have a belt buckle or loose change, and all the while they merily pass your suitcase - WITH TWO STEEL RODS THAT CAN BE EASLIY MODIFIED INTO FOOT-LONG SPEARS - through the magic machine.

Am I the only person who thinks this is !!!!@#$%^#!!#$ NUTS???????????????????

Date: 01/17/12 14:28
Author: 2839Canadian

They make a BFD about toothpaste or fingernail clippers in your luggage, and GOD FORBID you have a belt buckle or loose change,- - - -

Two years ago while undergoing pre-flight screening the TSA confiscated my nail clippers with a one inch file on it, as well as a tiny wrench with no sharp edges, however they let potential lethal weapons pass thru, such as pencils and pens, which could easily be used to puncture the juglar vein of an attendent. When I complained about their confiscating these items, and informed them how pens and pencils could be used as lethal weapons I was taken to a side room and questioned. Their priorities are REALLY screwed up---the TSA is only performing "feel good" measures to make the traveling public feel "safe", but they aren't doing ANYTHING to improve the safety of fliers. Only really stupid people think the TSA is a worthwhile agency that is doing anything useful to help us.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0691 seconds