Home Open Account Help 186 users online

Passenger Trains > TASI & Caltrain: So How Are Things Going?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/27/12 14:03
TASI & Caltrain: So How Are Things Going?
Author: calhog

After much discussion on Friday regarding the Amtrak to TASI changeover on Caltrain, I was just wondering how things are going so far? I know the big test will come Tuesday when a full schedule is run.

Date: 05/27/12 20:50
Re: TASI & Caltrain: So How Are Things Going?
Author: jrwadman

So far, so good. But, after a couple of long-time engineers put their two-cents worth into helping fill the holes today, staffing was kind of a mess. Odd couplets, SJ conductors one way, SF conductors the other. But all in all, not too bad this weekend. Hauled plenty of people today, including 700+ on 433. I'm sure the others were just as busy.

Date: 05/27/12 21:03
Author: golden-spike

It must of been interesting for a new engineer being turned loose for the first time without meet sheets. Sat is ok and can get away withit. Hope all paperwork is at hand for week day operations. Transitions are cool when former carrier locked out new bees on co-mingle operations for training. Their new engineers realy needed to be with the current engineers for cross training. Loosing a bid is tough.

Date: 05/27/12 21:45
Author: golden-spike

I was just thinking. This Caltrain change ovewr could be the State of California rail operation within two years edepending who gets into office. Thye offit that took over Caltrain has the money and can and will riswk under bidding any contract to get the bid. Amtrak can't do that because of Congress. yes, Caltrain big was bid very low. Like under water. Hey, this is the big one. TASI never seen anything this big in their entier operating exsistance. This is the stepping stone for them. If they make it, they got the state of California in the near future.

Date: 05/28/12 04:56
Author: coaststarlight99

Whew! I sort of get it.

Date: 05/28/12 07:58
Author: stone23

golden-spike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was just thinking. This Caltrain change ovewr
> could be the State of California rail operation
> within two years edepending who gets into office.
> Thye offit that took over Caltrain has the money
> and can and will riswk under bidding any contract
> to get the bid. Amtrak can't do that because of
> Congress. yes, Caltrain big was bid very low.
> Like under water. Hey, this is the big one. TASI
> never seen anything this big in their entier
> operating exsistance. This is the stepping stone
> for them. If they make it, they got the state of
> California in the near future.

"Repeat that please"

Date: 05/28/12 08:09
Author: darkcloud

golden-spike poorly texted while speeding down a very bumpy road:
> I was just thinking. This Caltrain change ovewr
> could be the State of California rail operation
> within two years edepending who gets into office.
> Thye offit that took over Caltrain has the money
> and can and will riswk under bidding any contract
> to get the bid. Amtrak can't do that because of
> Congress. yes, Caltrain big was bid very low.
> Like under water. Hey, this is the big one. TASI
> never seen anything this big in their entier
> operating exsistance. This is the stepping stone
> for them. If they make it, they got the state of
> California in the near future.

I need that stewardess in Airplane to translate.

Date: 05/28/12 10:58
Author: filmteknik

Is the "Amtrak California" equipment 100% state owned? If not it could muddy up anyone else taking over the state-supported trains. Also, if the poster is serious about the bid being underwater just to get the business then I think Amtrak's friends in government might get involved.

Date: 05/28/12 13:29
Author: EtoinShrdlu

>Is the "Amtrak California" equipment 100% state owned?

First off, none of the Caltrain equipment is "Amtrak California". That stuff is for the Capitol Corridor, San Joaquins, and Surfliners, which are all state supported-inter city rail service. "Caltrain" is local, agency-supported commuter service, no different than Metra in Chicago and Metrolink (SCRRA) in LA. The Caltrain equipment is owned by the JPB, the Peninsula Joint Powers Board, including the majority of the R/W and tracks, although at one time the equipment may have been owned by CALTRANS (not sure). There have been state and Federal subsidies and grants involved, but "Caltrain" is just a DBA ("doing business as"), as it was when Amtrak was the contract operator -- no different than "Metrolink" has been for SCRRA through three contract operators (Amtrak, Connex/Veiola, then Amtrak again).

>If not it could muddy up anyone else taking over the state-supported trains.

How? All contract operators, including Amtrak, are equal players in the bidding game, provided the player has received FRA certification as a rail operator.

>Also, if the poster is serious about the bid being underwater just to get the business then I think Amtrak's friends in government might get involved.

What does this have to do with the Gov't in any way shape or form? If the successful bidder is playing a loss-loser game and fails in the long run, then: new contractor operator, and the creditors of the failed one beware.

Date: 05/28/12 13:59
Author: TrainRyder

You asked how things are going??? If this weekend is any indication, "fasten your seat belts we are in for a VERY ROUGH ride"!!!!!! On Saturday "San Jose Control" was having "TRAIN CONGESTION" problems (stated on the radio) trying to get trains in & out of San Jose Diridon Station.

Let me be more specific; With the new tracks open in San Jose, Track #1 is for ACE, Amtrak & UP, Track #2 is for Capitol Corridor Turns, Tracks #3, 4, & 5 departing Caltrain, Tracks # 6, 7, 8, & 9 arriving Caltrain and those returning to CEMOF.

NOW, Saturday, San Jose Control had CC #728 on Track #1 for a 9:50 departure, bear in mind that Amtrak #11 is scheduled for a 9:55 arrival on the same track. Well "due to train congestion" #728 could not depart on time. Now what does San Jose Control do, they put #11 (which had 16 cars + 2 locomotives) on Track #5. This blocked ALL arriving & departing tracks (read switches). The CC could not depart because they were told they had to wait for a Caltrain being moved to CEMOF, which could not move because #11 had the switches blocked. As for the attitude of San Jose Control - DO NOT even mention San Jose Control the the #11 conductor on Saturday. He will not hear anything you say because the smoke is still coming out of his ears & his jaws are tight!!! Can you spell BAD PR?????

Sunday was rather smooth, the problems have been solved and it was just a bump in the road. Not so fast there!!!!!!

Lets now see how things are going for Monday (thank heaven, it is a holiday), Sunday evening when CC747 came into San Jose, it was moved to track #8, and someone (from TASI???) placed a "BLUE FLAG" on the train and did not remove it before going off duty. Now we get to Sunday morning when #747 is to return to Sacramento as #724, with a 7:50 departure - no can move the train, BLUE FLAG!!!!! NOW what shall be done, #1 - should TASI contact the employee to see if the flag can be removed ~NOT~, #2 send someone from CEMOF to inspect the train and remove the flag ~NOT~. So Amtrak sends 3 members of the "OMF Safety" team from Oakland to San Jose to inspect the train - THEN remove the flag. All of a sudden San Jose control realizes that #724 should be departing from track #2 and have the train moved. Did they bother to tell the station staff of the track change? That would be a BIG "NO". So the ticket agents are sending the passengers to track #8, then a scramble to get the passengers to the train on track #2. Bear in mind that by this time the passengers are already over an hour late.

Now #724 departs San Jose and meets #723, probably between Santa Clara/University stop and the end of controlled siding at Expressway. San Jose Control places #723 on track #1 (remember #1 is for ACE, Amtrak & UP) to turn as #728 (turns on track #2???) for a 9:50 departure. Keep in mind that Amtrak #11 is scheduled to arrive (on track #1) at 9:55. Well this time San Jose Control brings #11 in on track #2, this is a problem - the platform is not long enough for this train. Track #2 is for a 5 car Caltrain, #11 is 12 cars + 2 locomotives. The locomotives (2), baggage car, transition sleeper (read revenue rooms) are in the ballast south of the platform. Seems that the Conductor & Asst. Conductor had to struggle across the ballast with outgoing and incoming bags.

NOW we get back to the outgoing #728, that is scheduled to stop at Santa Clara/University station. San Jose Control ran them up the controlled siding, a whole track away from the platform, for their station stop.

The good Lord had better be locking down on the operation on Tuesday, because if the actions of TASI during the past 2 out of 3 days is any indication, "FASTEN YOUR SEAT BELTS, WE ARE IN FOR A VERY ROUGH RIDE". OR "is this anyway to run a train?"

Someone posted how GREAT things went on Saturday (????) they also indicated that AMTRAK kept the TASI folks out of the area, prior to the transition. This is not what I observed. I met my first two TASI folks at Diridon station in the middle of February. It sounds to me like the weekend operator at San Jose Control does not know how the tracks & switches are laid out. Even if they could not get the track schematics, they could have at least gone to Google Earth and looked at the satellite view to get an idea of the layouts - IF they are interested/concerned in doing a decent(????) job. TASI should have insisted that AMTRAK provide some technical coverage in train control - LIVES of employees & passengers are at stake!!!!!! JPB should have insisted that there be more than a handshake as the folks passed at the gate.

The real blame for the past (3 days) and future operational problems rest squarely with JPB - they are the ones that hired both Amtrak & TASI!!!!!!

Date: 05/28/12 14:16

>TASI should have insisted that AMTRAK provide some technical coverage in train control - LIVES of employees & passengers are at stake!!!!!!

TASI is in absolutely no position to insist on something like this. Once Amtrak's operating contract expires, it's out of the picture. Any liabilities for employees and passengers are the JPB's responsibility, nor can the JPB require Amtrak to stick around after said expiration. "A new broom sweeps clean". If all TASI has been able to hire are inexperienced individuals (or lunkheads), c'est la vie.

It's also a case of you get what you pay for.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/12 18:09 by EtoinShrdlu.

Date: 05/28/12 15:20
Author: sphogger

Don't get too far from your phone Calhog. They might need a few good men.

I know a UP engineer who was called for some sort of job over the weekend. Hadn't worked Caltrain since SP ran it.
He just happened to be plucked out of some sort of telephone database. Can you claim a call and release if you
don't work for the outfit?

sphogger

Date: 05/28/12 19:13
Author: rcnutt

TASI did not place those blue flags.......the same that pulled them had placed them when the daily was done that night......

Date: 05/28/12 20:55
Author: calhog

sphogger Wrote:
> Don't get too far from your phone Calhog. They
> might need a few good men.
>
> I know a UP engineer who was called for some sort
> of job over the weekend. Hadn't worked Caltrain
> since SP ran it.
> He just happened to be plucked out of some sort of
> telephone database. Can you claim a call and
> release if you
> don't work for the outfit?
>
> sphogger

Not sure if I could find my way up the Peninsula anymore George. It's been nearly four years. Did TASI bring in their own dispatchers or did the Amtrak guys stick around? If they couldn't get trains in and out of the station on a Saturday with all the new tracks to use, I hate to think
what Tuesday will bring. Then again, maybe Jack was on duty. Anyone who's tried to bring a train in or out of San Jose with him at the dispatcher's desk knows what I'm talking about.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/28/12 20:58

Since Amtrak NO LONGER has any maintenance facility in San Jose (Oakland is the nearest Amtrak yard), are you saying that someone drove all the way from Oakland to "service" the train - - NOT!!!!!! When Amtrak operated the Caltrain maintenance facility in San Jose, they could service the CC trains, now they would have to pay ($$$$$$) TASI to do the same. Therefore, I think itwas a TASI person that hung the flag and fled!!!!!!

Date: 05/28/12 21:01

Believe that Jack has stayed in San Jose Control (I sure hope so!!!!!). A couple of us are going to bring our beach chairs and popcorn to sit and watch the goin's on tomorrow!!!

Date: 05/28/12 21:10

>Since Amtrak NO LONGER has any maintenance facility in San Jose (Oakland is the nearest Amtrak yard), are you saying that someone drove all the way from Oakland to "service" the train - - NOT!!!!!! When Amtrak operated the Caltrain maintenance facility in San Jose, they could service the CC trains, now they would have to pay ($$$$$$) TASI to do the same. Therefore, I think itwas a TASI person that hung the flag and fled!!!!!!

Amtrak "lost" the San Jose maintenance facility 3-5 years ago to a group headed by Bombardier. Thus, Amtrak has been paying a contractor to service the CC trains in SJC for years, which may or may not be this Bombardier outfit (not sure, particularly the car cleaners). AFAIK, Tasi is the operating contractor (i.e. running the trains), not the maintenance one (fixing the trains). If this is the case, then Bombardier is still there. This blue flag phenomenon even happens occasionally in Amtrak's own WOPY.

So what's your point?

Date: 05/28/12 21:24
Author: ThumbsUp

TrainRyder Wrote:
> Since Amtrak NO LONGER has any maintenance
> facility in San Jose (Oakland is the nearest
> Amtrak yard), are you saying that someone drove
> all the way from Oakland to "service" the train -
> - NOT!!!!!!

That's exactly what I have heard. Oakland mechanical forces are driving to San Jose every night for the tests/inspections on 547/524.

Date: 05/28/12 21:59
Author: crossbucks

TASI was contracted to operate the trains, dispatching and mechanical at CMOF. I think all the dispatchers from Amtrak stayed with TASI except a couple.

Date: 05/28/12 22:05
Author: Highspeed

ThumbsUp Wrote:
> That's exactly what I have heard. Oakland
> mechanical forces are driving to San Jose every
> night for the tests/inspections on 547/524.

But this will be short-lived. They company Amtrak contracts with to do the inspections in SAC & ARN will be doing it in SJC as well.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.094 seconds