Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Passenger Trains > Nebraska Zephyr Excursion: Deadhead Question(s)

Date: 08/24/12 20:00
Nebraska Zephyr Excursion: Deadhead Question(s)
Author: FBU32804

Is it too early to say when they'll head from Union into Chicago and back? I was thinking it'd leave IRM that Friday morning & work its way to the Amtrak facility at 18th Street, overnight, then back in to CUS around sunrise Saturday (and Sunday) morning...then tie back up at 18th St Sunday night & head out Monday morning back to IRM.

Thoughts?

Date: 08/24/12 21:06
Re: Nebraska Zephyr Excursion: Deadhead Question(s)
Author: MarcelineSub

Where can you buy tickets for this at?! IRM's site didn't have a link anywhere when I found it last night!

EDIT: Never mind my late night mind last night didn't catch they weren't on sale yet!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/12 21:13 by MarcelineSub.

Date: 08/25/12 11:21
Author: sethamtrak

How do you think they will get there? over the CP or UP?

Date: 08/25/12 16:23
Author: kevink

sethamtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How do you think they will get there? over the CP
> or UP?

Most likely UP Belvidere Sub to West Chicago, then east on UP Geneva Sub to Metra at Western Avenue. Rest of the way to CUS on Metra. Too bad the connection to the BNSF at West Chicago is long gone.

Date: 08/26/12 10:41
Author: ternan92

I Thought the Union Pacific was anti to any foreign trains on their rails? How did the IRM get around it, or are things looking up? IF so, this is great news!

Date: 08/26/12 21:00
Author: NebraskaZephyr

ternan92 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I Thought the Union Pacific was anti to any
> foreign trains on their rails? How did the IRM get
> around it, or are things looking up? IF so, this
> is great news!

Well, the UP Belvidere Sub is the ONLY connection for IRM to the outside world, so it's impossible to avoid using UP. Once you've made the arrangements, going 62 miles downtown is really no more difficult than 30 miles to West Chicago. The main difference is you will need to add an ATC-equipped pilot loco to go from West Chicago to Western Ave.

As a common carrier, UP will happily move your equipment for you if it passes inspection and you're willing to pay. It should be noted UP has been very gracious and cooperative about moving equipment for IRM in the past for free or a reduced rate, depending on the circumstances. The free moves are not as common as they once were, but that is understandable given the time and attention these moves generally require.

Also don't forget any move over the UP will be a DEADHEAD move without passengers using a DIESEL locomotive that has been inspected in accordance with FRA regs, nowhere near as complicated as setting up an excursion.

The only thing I'm aware of that UP has publicly rejected is live operation of non-UP steam locomotives over their tracks. Not going to get into the hows and whys of that decision, suffice it to say both sides (UP and excursion operators) have valid reasons for their position.

NZ
Keeping a certain weekend in September open....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds