Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 09/10/12 15:33
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/20 19:27 by F40PHR231.

Date: 09/10/12 15:47
Re: Salt Lake City has come a long way
Author: Out_Of_Service

WOW !!!!!!!! ... excellent excellent photos ... my buddy's son lives in SLC and i'm hoping the next time he goes and visits him that i can tag along ... i've never been to the SLC area and i would love to make a visit

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/12 18:10 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 09/10/12 22:05
Author: davew833

Nice photos! It should be noted that the Salt Lake City area (Wasatch Front) had an extensive interurban and trolley system until the late '40s when everything went to buses made by (ahem) GM...

Here's an article with a brief history:

http://historytogo.utah.gov/utah_chapters/mining_and_railroads/utahsinterurbans.html

Don Strack's also got some interesting information on his Utahrails.net website.

http://utahrails.net/utahrails/swett-index.php

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/12 22:07 by davew833.

Date: 09/11/12 06:27
Author: CShaveRR

May I ask a dumb question?

I can't see on the map any reference to Amtrak or any airports. I've been to (through) Salt Lake City precisely once, so the locations aren't familiar: is Amtrak's station anywhere near any of these transit station?

Or are they just not advertising any public transportation connections to keep outsiders away?

Carl Shaver
Lombard, IL

Date: 09/11/12 09:43
Author: railstiesballast

Salt Lake Central station is where the Amtrak station is, although it isn't labeled as such.
I have admired the Utah work for using very practical, economical methods including "T" rail instead of girder rail, re-use of the old UP shops as their maintenance base, and re-use of a department store warehouse for another carbarn.

Date: 09/11/12 09:52
Author: AmHog

Look at the diversity of the people riding. Businessmen, workers with their bicycles, students, visitors etc. Just shows that given a modern, well run system people will ride.

Date: 09/11/12 22:41
Author: ProAmtrak

Cool pics Chris!

Date: 09/12/12 23:32
Author: cricketer8for9

One comment and one question.

The comment is that by many standards the crowded LRV is not that crowded.

The questiosn is more difficult. How did the politicians in what is (I believe) a rather conservative state a) agree to build the thing in the first place and b) succeed in not disagreeing.

That second question is more difficult because reading the forum threads it is clear that a significant minority of people (even on a railroad forum) simply don't believe any public money should be spend on transit and other passenger operations. I assume these people exist in SLC and Utah in general, yet the thing got built.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0515 seconds