Home Open Account Help 221 users online

Passenger Trains > Trespasser struck by train on Surf Line

Date: 10/10/12 18:17
Trespasser struck by train on Surf Line
Author: W3

Just got a call from Mudrock reporting that the Surf Line is closed in San Clemente, California due to Metrolink 808 striking a trespasser.

W3

Date: 10/10/12 18:55
Re: Trespasser struck by train on Surf Line
Author: W3

from the Orange County Register:

Pedestrian killed by train in Dana Point

DANA POINT – A pedestrian was killed by a Metrolink train Wednesday afternoon in what authorities believe to have been a suicide.

Orange County sheriff's deputies shortly after 5 p.m. responded to reports of a train striking a pedestrian on the tracks near Pacific Coast Highway and Doheny Park Road, Lt. Joe Balicki said.

The pedestrian was pronounced dead at the scene, Orange County Fire Authority Capt. Marc Stone said.

The pedestrian was struck by Metrolink Train 808 near the San Clemente Station, Metrolink's official Twitter feed said. The tracks have been closed as investigators go over the scene.

Witnesses told deputies that the pedestrian who they identified as a 54-year-old man walked onto the tracks in front of the train, leading investigators to believe that the death was a suicide, Balicki said.

The death is the latest in a series of fatalities involving pedestrians struck by trains.

In July, August and September, six pedestrians were struck and killed by trains in North County, including deaths in Buena Park, Anaheim, Fullerton and Orange.

Date: 10/10/12 18:58
Author: Mudrock

I had taken Metrolink 602 to San Juan Capistrano and after the train was 15 minutes late called Metrolink and learned my 808 had killed some one at the San Clemente Pier. Surfliner 582 came into San Juan and then left to head to CP Capistrano to get behind 602. I knew I could be stuck for hours so I knew I had to get myself to Laguna Niguel. I chased down a car
and a nice gentleman then drove me to Laguna Niguel and I made Metrolink 643 by just five minutes. Once on the move I helped two passengers one going to LA then other going to Simi Valley who I told take Metrolink from fullerton 91 line train to LAUPT then the Red Line to North Hollywood then the Orange Line to Chatsworth where he husband would meet her.
I let her use my cell phone to set all that up with him. I got home just 25 minutes later than i would have on 808.

Chris

Date: 10/10/12 20:08
Author: Winnemucca

I will repeat what I said in a previous post today:

It is sad that we refer to the tragic death of another human as a "trespasser strike". Suicide or accident, it seems to me that these incidents deserve far more thought than a knee-jerk identification of this unfortunate soul as simply his or her legal status. A human being is much more than that. Yes, of course, there are other victims. Engineer, train crew, emergency responders etc. May we hold them all in our thoughts.

John Webb
Trinidad, CA

Date: 10/10/12 23:29
Author: sp5312

Winnemucca Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will repeat what I said in a previous post
> today:
>
> It is sad that we refer to the tragic death of
> another human as a "trespasser strike". Suicide or
> accident, it seems to me that these incidents
> deserve far more thought than a knee-jerk
> identification of this unfortunate soul as simply
> his or her legal status. A human being is much
> more than that. Yes, of course, there are other
> victims. Engineer, train crew, emergency
> responders etc. May we hold them all in our
> thoughts.

Why sugar coat it, call it like it is. The train didn't veer off the track and chase him down. The problem with society is that everything needs to be toned down. He WAS trespassing when he was struck, PERIOD.

Date: 10/11/12 03:32
Author: Jaanfo

Winnemucca Wrote:
> today:
>
> thoughts.

How would you refer to it then? Don't complain about something unless you can offer a solution, this is the most Politically astute way to refer to it, that's why it's what's used.

I was on 608. 602, 604, 606, and 608 were all terminated at Laguna Niguel and coupled together, then moved in one movement to Stuart Mesa around 11pm, after the tracks were open and the Amtrak mess cleared.

Date: 10/11/12 07:53
Author: HoggerMatt

Winnemucca Wrote:
> today:
>
> thoughts.

They are flat out trespassing, period! Railroad property is private property.

Date: 10/11/12 09:38
Author: toledopatch

HoggerMatt Wrote:
> They are flat out trespassing, period! Railroad
> property is private property.

And this business of standing in front of a train, not only affecting the train crews and emergency responders but also disrupting the lives of hundreds, if not thousands, of rail travelers, is 100% pure selfishness.

Date: 10/11/12 10:10
Author: iliketrains

toledopatch Wrote:
is
> 100% pure selfishness.

Amen. Man up - talk some sleeping pills with a bottle of gin. Good night.

Date: 10/11/12 16:47
Author: sp5312

toledopatch Wrote:

>
> And this business of standing in front of a train,
> not only affecting the train crews and emergency
> responders but also disrupting the lives of
> hundreds, if not thousands, of rail travelers, is
> 100% pure selfishness.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Too much P****fication going on any more. No one willing to take responsibility for their actions. It's always 'the fault of someone else'

Date: 10/11/12 21:46
Author: coaststarlight99

I realize that this was a suicide, but I'm really surprised that more pedestrians aren't hit along the Surf Line. So many people---especially on nice warm summer weekends. I guess they must use a lot of bells and whistles!

Date: 10/12/12 08:23
Author: Mudrock

Most of the line has been fenced off from North Beach to Califia Beach with crossing gates in between to keep most people off the tracks. But if someone wants to do it threy can find a way to get on the tracks.

Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0938 seconds