Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Passenger Trains > "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"...


Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


Date: 11/05/12 10:00
"New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"...
Author: aussiehinz

Equipment assigned to the new Pullman Service between Chicago and New Orleans arrived from the south on the rear of this morning's Amtrak Train #58, the "City of New Orleans." Here are some views of the train at "MH" Tower: first as it descended the St. Charles Air Line, and then as it backed under Canal Street on its way into Chicago Union Station. A fine sight, even under today's overcast skies.

Cheers,

aussiehinz


All: Amtrak #58 arriving "MH" with Pullman Service equipment... November 5, 2012



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/12 14:39 by aussiehinz.








Date: 11/05/12 10:01
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: aussiehinz

All: Amtrak #58 @ "MH" with Pulman Service equipment... November 5, 2012



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/12 06:53 by aussiehinz.








Date: 11/05/12 10:10
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: retcsxcfm

Mark,
Damn that Amtrash stuff on the HE.Let's get us an IC unit or two (they are out there already painted)
and run a real passenger train.

Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.



Date: 11/05/12 10:12
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: aussiehinz

I have a feeling that may not be too far off in the future, Uncle Joe...



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/12 10:38 by aussiehinz.



Date: 11/05/12 10:31
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: chs7-321

retcsxcfm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark,
> Damn that Amtrash stuff on the HE.Let's get us an
> IC unit or two (they are out there already
> painted)
> and run a real passenger train.
>
> Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.


Some people will always find a reason to b*tch and whine.....

Modern passenger diesels, modern long-distance cars, plus attractively-COLORED heritage cars bringing up the rear. A very interesting and respectable 13-car train.

Nope, no trash to be seen....



Date: 11/05/12 10:31
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: PHall

retcsxcfm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mark,
> Damn that Amtrash stuff on the HE.Let's get us an
> IC unit or two (they are out there already
> painted)
> and run a real passenger train.
>
> Uncle Joe,Seffner,Fl.


Sure, if you want to raise the fares even higher!
Those things aren't cheap to own and operate!



Date: 11/05/12 10:36
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: darkcloud

Some diesels can really pull, man.



Date: 11/05/12 10:39
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: rrhistorian

Thank you for sharing these photos. If you start taking roster photos of individual cars, you could fill the gap vacated by the passing of John Kuehl several years ago.

For those following at home, here is what I show as a consist for the train (corrections, and 800XXX numbers appreciated):

Pontchartrain Club - SLRG 3310
Baton Rouge - SLRG 9115
Sunset View - SLRG 510
Colorado Pine - SLRG 9660
??? - Chebanse - SLRG 9500
Sunset Harbor - MRLX 800701



Date: 11/05/12 10:52
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: co614

I rode it last week round trip Chicago-New Orleans and had a great time. Recommend it to anyone who loves riding trains with great service and wonderful ambiance.

Ross Rowland



Date: 11/05/12 11:22
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: zzzzz

Contrary to most on here, you can get that on a Amtrak train with great service and ambiance.
co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I rode it last week round trip Chicago-New Orleans
> and had a great time. Recommend it to anyone who
> loves riding trains with great service and
> wonderful ambiance.
>
> Ross Rowland



Date: 11/05/12 11:30
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: co614

With all due respect to Mr. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the level of service, quality of the crew, food service and general ambiance far exceeded what one will find on Amtrak. I travel on average approx. 10,000 miles/year on Amtrak so I know from whence I speak.

The difference between Travel by Pullman and Amtrak is akin to the difference between night and day.

IMHO- Ross Rowland



Date: 11/05/12 11:45
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: MEKoch

I don't see a dining car in the consist. Did they serve meals on the lower level of the dome? Or??



Date: 11/05/12 11:49
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: eee

Terrific photos, thanks. We're grateful to Amtrak for excellent handling prior to and throughout the journey.

aussiehinz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Equipment assigned to the new Pullman Service
> between Chicago and New Orleans arrived from the
> south on the rear of this morning's Amtrak Train
> #58, the "City of New Orleans." Here are some
> views of the train at "MH" Tower: first as it
> descended the St. Charles Air Line, and then as it
> backed under Canal Street on its way itto Chicago
> Union Station. A fine sight, even under today's
> overcast skies.
>
> Cheers,
>
> aussiehinz


>
>
> All: Amtrak #58 arriving "MH" with Pullman
> Service equipment... November 5, 2012



Date: 11/05/12 11:58
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: zzzzz

That's only five z's co614444444. Quit getting so worked up over someone else's opinion. Just like I hate the green paint scheme on the 614, you probably love it. I am more of a Chessie man.
co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> With all due respect to Mr. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the
> level of service, quality of the crew, food
> service and general ambiance far exceeded what one
> will find on Amtrak. I travel on average approx.
> 10,000 miles/year on Amtrak so I know from whence
> I speak.
>
> The difference between Travel by Pullman and
> Amtrak is akin to the difference between night and
> day.
>
> IMHO- Ross Rowland



Date: 11/05/12 12:04
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: chs7-321

zzzzz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Only five z's please, Mr. Rossssss Rowland. Just
> because you have money to do these things doesn't
> mean you have to rub it in the working man's face.
> Now go get that ugly green paint scheme off of the
> 614.

He's not rubbing anything in....he's just relaying an experience.

And we're all working men.....some of us might make $30K, some of us might make $230K, but we're all working men....



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/12 12:10 by chs7-321.



Date: 11/05/12 12:26
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: cutboy2

Any patrons in the windows?
Must be really not restfull in that first Superliner. Like on Auto Train. HONK HONK!!



Date: 11/05/12 12:31
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: stone23

Where is 58's baggage car?



Date: 11/05/12 13:33
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: The_Chief_Way

checked baggage would be handled in a coach-baggage car ( Superliner )



Date: 11/05/12 14:13
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: DavidP

stone23 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where is 58's baggage car?

The City of New Orleans and Eagle use the lower level baggage compartment of a Superliner coach for checked baggage. This helps keep the normal consist to seven or less cars, which allows the trains to operate with one locomotive. Presumably new Pullman pays Amtrak for the second unit on days they operate.

Dave



Date: 11/05/12 14:28
Re: "New Orleans-Chicago Pullman Service on Amtrak #58"
Author: calzephyr48

Unless they have a special contract with Amtrak the PV rates would apply. For that consist it would be $13.35/mile (1 car @ $2.10/mile, 5 cars @ $1.60/mile, 1 loco @ $3.25/mile) plus $1000/month/car long-term storage (Chicago) and $100/day/car in NOL for return trips not taking the next available train. So a round trip to NOL costs a cool $25K, payable to Amtrak. Add to that the cost of the staff, provisions, laundry, and sundries and how much YOU want to make out of each trip and the arithmetic becomes fairly simple to calculate break-even points.



Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2


[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1249 seconds