Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Passenger Trains > Incredible Variety Around Davis

Date: 11/10/12 21:39
Incredible Variety Around Davis
Author: Amtrakdavis22

I was thinking the other day how fortunate I have been to live in a town that gets a lot of passenger train variety. Here in Davis, we see 30+ Capitol Corridor trains daily, 2 Coast Starlights, 2 California Zephyrs, and occasionally a Union Pacific passenger special. It sure can keep you busy with all these trains. Here are some shots that showcase this variety. Hope you enjoy!

Photo 1) On Friday November 9th, a small Union Pacific passenger train comes flying through Davis on the Cal-P Corridor.

Photo 2) Just before the UP train showed up, the California Zephyr made an appearance.

Photo 3) I have to go back to July 24th to get a shot of the Coast Starlight. But here the Starlight crosses "West Bridge" in Davis with four LARail private cars on the rear.

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

Date: 11/10/12 21:40
Re: Incredible Variety Around Davis

Photo 3) A westbound Capitol Corridor train catches some late day sun as it crosses the Yolo Causeway Bridge in East Davis, California. The storm that was blowing over began to back up as it hit the mountains, giving some nice cloudscapes.

Photo 4) The same Capitol Corridor train stares down some pretty serious storm clouds to the west as it approaches Davis.

Photo 5) On a different day, the California Zephyr comes flying across the Yolo Causeway with some old coal power. This type of power isn't seen in California too often, especially on passenger trains.

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/12 21:45 by Amtrakdavis22.

Date: 11/10/12 21:40

Photo 7) A P40DC pushes a Capitol Corridor train across the Yolo Causeway and towards Sacramento, California.

Photo 8) A little light catches the side of a Capitol Corridor train as it departs Davis.

So to recap, we have 4 different types of trains, all different kinds of power, and some nice locations. Anyways, come on over and check it out for yourself!

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/12 21:49 by Amtrakdavis22.

Date: 11/10/12 22:07
Author: coach

Picture #5 is a WINNER!!!

Love the signal bridge and searchlights, still in service, in the last photo. They've been there at least since I was a UCD undergrad in the early 90's.

Date: 11/10/12 22:09
Author: walstib

That's a great variety. Nice shots. I really like the one where it looks like the light dancing on the wires.

Thanks for posting them.

Date: 11/10/12 23:25
Author: IC_2024

JT--you did a great job of capturing the RR variety (and storm light during fall/winter!) that Davis provides on a fairly regular basis.... and, always good to check out the local restaurants (Davis Sushi, Village Bakery... to name a couple.)

Date: 11/11/12 00:09

There's a great Thai place next door to the Motel 6 at the Mace Boulevard exit in Davis.

It's called Cindy's and it looks like a mom 'n' pop Denny's. They have two menus and the Thai one is great. Especially the #7 dumplings.

Date: 11/11/12 00:47

walstib Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's a great Thai place next door to the Motel
> 6 at the Mace Boulevard exit in Davis.
>
> It's called Cindy's and it looks like a mom 'n'
> pop Denny's. They have two menus and the Thai one
> is great. Especially the #7 dumplings.

Out of all the great places in Davis... You name that one. There is a new Mexican place called "Tres Hermanas" right across from the station. You can eat on the porch and see all the trains coming/going from the Davis Depot. Pretty cool place.

P.S. If you end up there, get either the crispy taco or enchilada plate with cup of meatball soup. It is great!

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

Date: 11/11/12 01:18

I've stayed at that Motel 6 a few times this year when I was going through Davis, so I know Cindy's well.

Thanks for the Tres Hermanas tip. I'll check it out next time I'm in town.

Date: 11/11/12 08:33
Author: jcaestecker

Photo three is my favorite! Probably because it has our corporation's PV's in it. For those who are curious, car names and lineages from head end to the rear are Salisbury Beach (Boston and Maine, 1954, 6-4-6 sleeper), Pacific Sands (Union Pacific, 1950, 10-6 sleeper), Silver Splendor (CB & Q, 1956, originally a dome coach, now has booths, tables, and some lounge space), and Tioga Pass (CN, 1959, business car - 2 bedrooms, secretary's room, crew room, 10 seat lounge). Photo was taken while we were returning from a 12 day trip to Portland, Glacier Nat'l Park in MT, and Seattle.

Cheers,

-John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/12 08:36 by jcaestecker.

Date: 11/11/12 20:55
Author: MojaveBill

The UP train is Stanford and Sunset...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0646 seconds