Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Passenger Trains > Ugliest passenger cars?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/14/12 11:40
Ugliest passenger cars?
Author: davew833

I've been interested in several of the discussions lately about different types of passenger cars: last heavyweights built, short domes vs. full-length domes vs. hilevel lounge cars, etc. Today I'd like to know what TO members think are the ugliest passenger cars, past or present. The passenger cars I love to hate are BNSF's bilevel executive fleet cars rebuilt from ex-SP commuter bilevels. The aesthetics of flat-sided bilevel commuter cars are... bland at best, but it can be argued that nothing BNSF's done to these cars improves their appearance any- from the oversized randomly-placed windows to the randomly- placed logos and fonts over plain silver- gray paint. Even a full-length stripe of some kind would improve looks considerably. These cars look even worse is when BNSF combines them randomly with their fluted single-level cars in a train.

Now I realize an ugly car generates just as many revenue dollars as a pretty one, so we don't need anyone taking that side of the argument- I'm just interested in opinions on what LOOKS really really bad in passenger, excursion, or executive service.

Date: 11/14/12 11:52
Re: Ugliest passenger cars?
Author: DavidP

Yes, that's definitely a case of form following function.

Dave

Date: 11/14/12 12:12
Author: Evan_Werkema

davew833 Wrote:

> nothing BNSF's done to these cars
> improves their appearance any- from the oversized
> randomly-placed windows to the randomly- placed
> logos and fonts over plain silver- gray paint.

Some of that was done before BNSF acquired the cars. They were initially modified with oversized windows for the Transcisco Tours' Sierra 49er Express. And if you think plain gray paint is bad, check out Transcisco's scheme:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2435795,2435833#2435833

On that particular car, BNSF did add the picture window, theater seating, and stair-stepped windows at one end.

> Even a full-length stripe of some kind would
> improve looks considerably. These cars look even
> worse is when BNSF combines them randomly with
> their fluted single-level cars in a train.

The car in your photo isn't a business car, per se. It's geometry car 87 Skagit River, and its role isn't to look pretty, generate revenue, or entertain big wigs, but to gather data on track irregularities. It usually runs around with a single level support car and/or the OTIS, but that's it.

Date: 11/14/12 12:21
Author: IC_2024

Here's my Exhibit A evidence of how BNSF balances out the ugly passenger cars they have.... choose the correct attendants to work it and no one will ever notice!
I've also included another shot to be fair and balanced.... also, the cars these folks are working are not UGLY, but one of those aforementioned horrendous bi-levels was in the consist--they should've been scrapped out years ago with that Marlboro train.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/12 13:27 by IC_2024.

Date: 11/14/12 13:29
Author: bbethmann

No such thing......

BB

Date: 11/14/12 13:44
Author: DTrainshooter

Wasn't that guy in the last photo on the Sopranos???

Date: 11/14/12 14:29
Author: joemvcnj

As for the top photo, look at it this way, it would be very easy for even a newbee to model railroading to scratchbuild, and need only primer paint.

Date: 11/14/12 15:17
Author: davew833

Hm, I wasn't aware, or had forgotten, that Transcisco Tours originally built these rolling mud fences... and you're correct, Evan, that their red-and-blue paint scheme makes BNSF's gray look great in comparison. Heck, Transcisco Tours' paint is bad enough to make UP dome cars and F45's ugly which is hard to do, IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/12 17:40 by davew833.

Date: 11/14/12 17:19
Author: RuleG

Beauty and lack thereof is in the eye of the beholder. I really don't think the BNSF car looks so bad. It has nice big windows.

I would nominate some Long Island Rail Road and Boston & Albany commuter cars to be the most aesthetically challenged passenger equipment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/12 17:33 by RuleG.

Date: 11/14/12 17:27
Author: dan

air force simulator cars maybe

Date: 11/14/12 17:33
Author: PHall

DTrainshooter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wasn't that guy in the last photo on the
> Sopranos???

Witness Protection Program...

Date: 11/14/12 18:57
Author: jcaestecker

My vote goes to the ubiquitos Amtube (Amfleet). What's not hate-able? Airline body styling, small windows, ugliest-looking trucks EVER, bland interior decor.

Need I say more?

-John

Date: 11/14/12 19:07
Author: tq-07fan

Since we're not holding back, some of those Colorado Railcar DMUs were butt ugly. If you want to sell something like that make sure people don't barf looking at it first.

I agree with the BNSF train (except the attendants) is ugly, but I do like Amtubes.

Jim

Date: 11/14/12 19:25
Author: creosote

These WWII troop train cars are pretty homely.

My Dad told me there were very uncomfortable as well.

This one is at the Illinois Railway Museum.

Date: 11/14/12 20:00
Author: bnsfsd70

Regarding the original topic though, I'd like to nominate "UPP 2066," their relatively new HEP car. MY GOD, that thing looks bad. This is a shot of it on July 8, 2010 as it rolls through Topeka, KS' Calhoun Bluffs.

- Jeff Carlson

Date: 11/14/12 20:45
Author: PHall

bnsfsd70 Wrote:
> Regarding the original topic though, I'd like to
> nominate "UPP 2066," their relatively new HEP car.
> MY GOD, that thing looks bad. This is a shot of
> it on July 8, 2010 as it rolls through Topeka, KS'
> Calhoun Bluffs.
>
> - Jeff Carlson

Okay, so how would YOU make it look better? Oh, and there is no budget for this...

Date: 11/14/12 20:55
Author: Western_Star

Oregon's new talgo cab cars are vomit inducing

Date: 11/14/12 22:06
Author: NebraskaZephyr

Western_Star Wrote:
> Oregon's new talgo cab cars are vomit inducing

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!!!

NZ

Date: 11/15/12 01:34
Author: ATSF100WEST

Metrolink's (Southern California) new cab cars (in the new butt-ugly paint scheme) are severely lacking in the esthetics department. I would not waste any electrons on them, they're that bad.

Bob

ATSF100WEST......Out

Date: 11/15/12 04:54
Author: coaststarlight99

Western_Star Wrote:
> Oregon's new talgo cab cars are vomit inducing

Those things are horrible!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0606 seconds