Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Passenger Trains > California Zephyr-Take a Ride & See If You Can Guess?

Date: 11/16/12 20:02
California Zephyr-Take a Ride & See If You Can Guess?
Author: jbaker

Train #6 near the beginning of the Colorado River.
Running on time; a little over two hours to Denver.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/16/12 20:50
Re: California Zephyr-Take a Ride & See If You Can Gues
Author: Mudrock

Very nice footage.

Chris

Date: 11/17/12 02:38
Author: andersonb109

Just curious, did you have crew permission to open the window? Big no no on Amtrak.

Date: 11/17/12 04:29
Author: defect_detector

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just curious, did you have crew permission to open
> the window? Big no no on Amtrak.

And if he did you'd like him to go ahead and possibly expose them to disciplinary action to them by revealing it on here?

Date: 11/17/12 08:27
Author: ntharalson

Can't answer the trivia question, but there used to be more. The video
shows at least one of the tunnels that had been daylighted. Interesting
video, thanks for posting.

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

Date: 11/17/12 10:14
Author: Phil1

Good stuff. The fastest way to get "busted" for having the window open is if the engineer sees you on a curve and calls the conductor who will likely only tell you to close it. On fairly straight track like in these shots, you likely will not be discovered. I was a T.A on Amtrak and, in a few situations, pretended I did not notice anyone there. However we all know that at 79 MPH opening the window is dangerous and borders on silly because the dust kicked up could damage the lens of your camera or put something in your eye that could be very hard to wash out later. At this speed here,it made sense and was pretty safe. Thanks for the shots and the sound really finished it nicely.

Phil Blommendahl
Getzville, NY

Date: 11/17/12 10:58
Author: dan

those constant tunnel portals are a threat walls can be closer than you think, if you wanted to you could make contact, but without domes it is best place to be, try and be low key.

Date: 11/17/12 11:22
Author: railrunner

you opened that window to get those shots!! boy your lucky you werent caught!!! if so,you would have been taken out and shot at dawn!!!! thats a BIG no no on amtrak!!!

Date: 11/17/12 14:19

dan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> those constant tunnel portals are a threat walls
> can be closer than you think, if you wanted to you
> could make contact, but without domes it is best
> place to be, try and be low key.

All of you are correct. "Dutch Dooring" as some of us call it, is definitely frowned upon by the crew.
It is also very dangerous for the unwary/inexperienced. I am very discrete, usually taking a walk,seeing
where crew are; don't like to put them on the spot. If some yay-hoo wannabe foamer walks up, "DUh can I look?"
I slam the window shut and say something like "Whew man, thought you might be the conductor--they'll throw
me off the train for doing this".

Never at high speed; all kinds of stuff gets kicked up; NEVER have the window open meeting another train.
Things like broken steel tie down straps can slash at the side of the car like monster razor blades.
NEVER if kids or teens are around--they will be hanging out the window or maybe the door when you leave.

No tunnels, rocks; keep it short. With the new cameras, you don't have to stick your head out. I always
do it from a sleeper--very little traffic downstairs compared to coaches.

This wasn't my first rodeo. Since about 1959 I've ridden the CZ close to 150 trips.

Date: 11/17/12 14:23
Author: MH2198

Oh boy, the safety nazis are out in full force. Give him a break fellas. If it was my train, I wouldn't have an issue with it. I thought it was cool.

It's too bad the recent ridiculous safety culture of railroading has outlawed riding in vestibules... takes the fun out of riding trains.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/12 14:27 by MH2198.

Date: 11/17/12 15:51
Author: chakk

The coaches are on the end of this consist of #6, so I am guessing that the footage was shot at least a few years ago, before the coaches were moved from the end of the train to the front of the train.

Date: 11/17/12 20:58
Author: norm1153

Good grief! Do we have so short memories that we don't remember how the vast majority of passenger trains once sported open platform observation cars? Look at Double Indemnity with Fred MacMurray, some time, typical good example. Personal responsibility has gone out the window.

Date: 11/17/12 23:06
Author: coaststarlight99

On PV trips, the windows/dutch doors are open pretty much 24/7. I know it's different rules, but still....

Date: 11/18/12 22:10
Author: WP707

It appears to depend on which T.A. is working...

I *always* have safety glasses, 3 point contact, careful when I stick my head out, pull head back in when approaching trackside ballast piles (fine grit & sand is kicked up)...

When the northbound Coast Starlight was detoured over Tehachipi last year, when running in the SJV, folks in cars were happy to wave...they don't see real people in dutch doors anymore, but were enthusiastic...

If you know what you're doing, then you take your chances...just don't get hurt or create a bad example or liability...I only do it when alone...

The majority of rail route are not all that scenic INHO and I don't have the need to photograph...but there sure is something magical about feeling the wind while at speed & peeking out...

Date: 11/19/12 06:58
Author: bluesboyst

Nothing better than Dutch Dooring it.... At one time not a big deal...But now forget it.....Always ask the crew though....They may let you if it is going slow.. But, it can be dangerous, things can kick up as stated in earlier posts. I did this on the Northeast Corridor in Maryland back in 83 doing over 90 MPH......Lucky nothing kicked up!!!!!!!

Steve

Date: 11/19/12 17:44

OOps! Meant to give answer to trivia question before this turned the page.

"How many tunnels are there between Denver and Glenwood Springs?" Ans. 48

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0472 seconds