Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Passenger Trains > NJ: a new railfan platform in New Brunswick

Date: 11/19/12 17:30
NJ: a new railfan platform in New Brunswick
Author: Lackawanna484

New Brunswick NJ is on the Northeast Corridor, about 30 miles from NY Penn. The station is frequently served by NJ Transit, and occasionally by Amtrak. It's south of the divert for the North Jersey Coast Line, and just north of COUNTY interlocking.

A new "railfan platform" has opened adjacent to the NEC, in the guise of a 9 story parking garage over a grocery store and a health and wellness center. Food, beverages (including alcohol), facilities, etc are only an elevator ride away. The bad news is this facility is vastly inferior to the now mostly blocked Ferren parking deck.

Picture 1 - from the top (9th) level, looking south, rail west. Track 1, northbound eastbound local, is nearest. The Jersey Avenue station is about two miles ahead, near the blue water tank visible on the horizon.

Picture 2 - turning around, and looking toward the New Brunswick station. Signal 31.5 is below me. The parking garage adjacent to the station is an excellent platform for afternoon photos, looking across the Raritan River rail bridge. That building, called "The Vue" has upper floor apartments for as little as $320,000.

picture 3 - a sixth deck view of an eastbound Keystone train. There's no advance warning of an oncoming train, unlike the Ferren deck's view (before this obstruction).

Date: 11/19/12 17:39
Re: NJ: a new railfan platform in New Brunswick

Picture 4 - Looking north from the fifth deck. The station is in the center, the Vue condo is to the left of the station, their parking garage has a direct link to the station.

All three garages (the Vue, Ferren, and this new one) have the same parking rates. $2 for the first two hours, $4 for four hours, and $8 for all day, I believe. Unlike the others, you can get validated parking at the grocery on the first floor. I don't know how many hours, etc. I didn't find that out until I was leaving.

Date: 11/19/12 18:13
Author: Ray_Murphy

It's interesting to see all of that criss-cross cable tensioning on those catenary/transmission line tower frames. I guess it's because they have been made extra-high in this location.

Ray

Date: 11/19/12 18:39
Author: elu34ch

You look at the ROW here and marvel at how BIG AND STRONG the PRR was...

Date: 11/20/12 02:28
Author: ClubCar

Ray_Murphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's interesting to see all of that criss-cross
> cable tensioning on those catenary/transmission
> line tower frames. I guess it's because they have
> been made extra-high in this location.
>
> Ray
But you would think that they would paint those polls completely when adding on extensions for the high wires.

Date: 11/20/12 06:28
Author: PERichardson

And no police/TSA or anyone else will bother someone up there 'loitering' with a camera?

Date: 11/20/12 06:58

masterphots Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And no police/TSA or anyone else will bother
> someone up there 'loitering' with a camera?

I haven't had any trouble in the New Brunswick area, on any of the three parking decks. They're far enough off railway property not to be a threat, etc. The platform at New Brunswick station has been fine, too. Although there's occasionally an NJ Transit officer in and around the station, he's been pleasant.

Same situation at Jersey Avenue station, a few miles down line. Unlike the main station, Jersey Avenue is on the speedway. Every once in a while an NJT officer will stop by, but I've never even been asked for ID.

Other than one or two encounters with thug like individual NJT officers, virtually every encounter I've had with them has been professional and completely acceptable. Pretty much the same with conductors, ticket agents, etc. I could probably count on one hand the number of unpleasant encounters over 30 years.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0467 seconds