Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Passenger Trains > Grand Canyon-A Study in Time-Lapse

Date: 12/03/12 22:44
Grand Canyon-A Study in Time-Lapse
Author: El_Duderino

Here's some video shot over the last few days on our trip to and from an overnight trip on the Grand Canyon Railway this weekend. Scene 1 starts out with the regular train leaving The Canyon with the daily train. Next we cut to the time-lapse footage of the train cresting Imbalu (nee: Apex) towards Coconino. The next returns us to a video of the same scene to set up the actual speed. Then we around the wye and back into Grand Canyon. The cut scenes are at Yaki and Mather Points respectively. Finally we depart The Canyon on board and descend the Apex grade. Finally, we arrive in Williams and go around the wye as The Polar Express departs to the North Pole along the Main.

I apologize for some of the roughness as I'd have to move the camera, and sometimes I was confused on how to properly operate the timelapse.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/04/12 06:57
Re: Grand Canyon-A Study in Time-Lapse
Author: mt19a

That was awesome! Love the sunset!

Date: 12/04/12 08:38
Author: Out_Of_Service

Date: 12/04/12 12:31
Author: HRGXguy

Something looks funny to me in that San Diego Airport video....the clouds sure don't seem move very much between 10am and 3pm, apparently....

Date: 12/04/12 12:31
Author: lpersonjr

WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL!!
Thanks for sharing.
Lorne

Date: 12/04/12 15:24
Author: TomPlatten

I guess it is just me, but I can't warm up to turning the train with passengers on board!

Date: 12/04/12 17:53

TomPlatten Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess it is just me, but I can't warm up to
> turning the train with passengers on board!

The turning the train loaded dates back to the AT&SF days when the timetable read " Train # will wye and back into Grand Canyon". (Note: no "Depot" in that... I'd be more worried about that shove.)

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/04/12 18:38
Author: P

Nicely done. Thanks for posting!

Date: 12/05/12 03:58
Author: navy5717th

El_Duderino Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TomPlatten Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I guess it is just me, but I can't warm up to
> > turning the train with passengers on board!
>
> The turning the train loaded dates back to the
> AT&SF days when the timetable read " Train # will
> wye and back into Grand Canyon". (Note: no "Depot"
> in that... I'd be more worried about that shove.)
>
> Posted from iPhone

I did exactly that as an 11-year old boy in late July of 1946 . The train was stopped when I woke up. I got dressed and went out to our Pullman car's vestibule.
As a native of New Orleans where it's hot as Hades in the summer, I was totally surprised by the crisp chilly air and the beauty of the area. The train was about to "wye and back into Grand Canyon".
I'll always remember having French Toast* and bacon for breakfast in the diner as we backed up all the way to the South Rim of the canyon.

Fritz in HSV, AL

P.S. Via Rail's train #1 "The Canadian" wye's about 20 minutes after leaving Toronto Union Station. It departs to the West, then turns North for about 10-12 miles where it crosses over an East-West subdivision. There it stops, then backs up into a wye that brings it onto the previously-mentioned subdivision -- facing East. Then it proceeds East -- under the track it'd just been on. It's off to the races as it crosses north Toronto and eventually turns onto the Bala Sub and heads Northwest.

During this Kabuki dance passengers were not required to de-train ;-)

*My grandmother had introduced me to French Toast, but Santa Fe's version was even better that hers. I must've come close to running the dining cars out of it!!

Date: 12/05/12 07:37
Author: Auburn_Ed

What camera did you use?

Ed

Date: 12/05/12 10:21

Nikon D600

Date: 12/05/12 10:33
Author: Amtrak1987

Nicely done especially that sunset sequence. I have ridden this line numerous times and I love being on board when they do the backing move at the Canyon and the Wye move at Williams. I have seen this with 16 cars and the train is split in 2 for easier alighting and boarding at the Canyon. I believe the last AT&SF run had a whopping 3 cars and one F unit.

Phil Blommendahl
Getzville, NY

Date: 12/05/12 10:37
Author: octrax

Now THAT'S the way to HIGHBALL!! I rode the GCRR last year, and the Grand Cyn. still remains the classic American attraction. Thanks for sharing your video!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/12 10:42 by octrax.

Date: 12/06/12 13:22
Author: Trainboyaz

Also, as a side note, wyeing the train at Williams is necessary this time of year due to the operation of the Polar Express. Polar Express leaves Williams at 5:30 pm. Train 3 from Grand Canyon is due to arrive at Williams at 5:45 pm. Train 3 runs around the wye to clear the main track so that Polar can leave the Williams Depot. The timing isn't perfect, with the Polar usually leaving around 5:33 so it can avoid stopping outside the depot to wait for Train 3 to clear on the wye. GCR's philosophy is such that a moving train, even if it is moving very slowly, is easier for passengers to handle than a stopped train. With a little delay leaving the depot, and some slow running through the yard, neither train has to stop.

Mike Brooks
Former Assistant Trainmaster (and current Locomotive Engineer / Conductor), GCR
Flagstaff, AZ

[ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1785 seconds