Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Passenger Trains > "30 Minutes @ 47th Street..."

Date: 12/13/12 16:00
"30 Minutes @ 47th Street..."
Author: aussiehinz

Today was a most "un-December-like" day in Chicago, with temperatures nearing 50 degrees and cloudless skies. I noticed a massive CN(IC) Iowa Division freight train crossing the diamonds at 21st Street and 16th Street, so decided to head down Lake Shore Drive to catch the Markham bound train from Metra's 47th Street platform. While there, several other passenger trains quickly put in an appearance, which I've attached for those with an interest in the former IC Metra Electric operation. Chicago, South Shore & South Bend trains under the jurisdiction of the Northwest Indiana Commuter Transit District (NICTD) also utilize this stretch of railroad, between Kensington (115th St) and Randolph Street Station in central Chicago.

Cheers,

aussiehinz

1. A northbound (westbound) CSS&SB train of newer, bi level equipment passes without stopping on its way to Randolph Street.

2. Literally seconds later, a southbound (eastbound) South Shore train with older, single level equipment sails through on the southward express track.

3. Amtrak's northbound "Saluki," Train #390, was a bit off the advertised when it went through 47th Street at 12:47 pm. A northbound Metra Electric train can be seen approaching in the distance.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/12 16:18 by aussiehinz.

Date: 12/13/12 16:01
Re: "30 Minutes @ 47th Street..."

4. The northbound Metra Electric train prepares to make its station stop at 47th Street.

5. With one passenger off and one on, the Metra Electric train continues its journey north to downtown Chicago.

6. A mile north of 47th Street, a southbound Metra Electric express train made up of the newest bi level equipment passes under Oakwood Blvd. This location affords a nice view of the former IC right of way along the Lakefront.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/12 16:09 by aussiehinz.

Date: 12/13/12 16:12
Author: RevRandy

What a great piece of railroad!!! The electrified side having 2 local and 2 express tracks under wire; the mainline section originally having two passenger and two freight tracks. At some places, like 63rd Street, there were platforms for six of the tracks (local and express electrified and long distance passenger), with massive wooden high level platforms for the electrified service.

It was possible, at magic moments, to observe 8 trains from a single vantage point, all in motion.

Even the remnant is impressive!

Date: 12/13/12 17:08

Yes, it is. And Illinois Central's original catenary structures from the 1920's have stood the test of time quite well, too.

Date: 12/13/12 17:11
Author: cutboy2

Electric needs to go to Kankakee. But they don't get it there Yet!! Takes public investment. Then it would only be 130 miles to Indianapolis!!! Great to look out the front of CSS&SB or METRA trains and see the capacity just waiting...

Date: 12/14/12 05:15
Author: shoretower

Thanks very much for the wonderful photos. It brings back memories of the five years I spent in Chicago in the 1970s, and how the city has changed since then. Back then, 47th Street was a lonely outpost at which almost no trains stopped. Now the gentrification of Kenwood has really changed things!

By the way, the "older" Metra Electric cars were delivered to ICG in the early 1970s, which means they are almost as old today (40 years) as the old 1920s cars they replaced were in 1971 (not quite 50 years old). South Shore is on its second equipment replacement since that time. The old orange cars of the Insull years were running in the 70s. The "older" South Shore cars started arriving in the early 80s and are now about 30 years old. I haven't even ridden the "new" bilevels on either South Shore or Metra Electric.

And of course back in the 70s the massive roundhouse at 35th Street was still there, although unused, and the Chicago Junction viaduct still came across to the lakefront from the stockyards (the viaduct and the stockyards are long gone).

Date: 12/14/12 06:47
Author: coaststarlight99

Well this is interesting! How come I never knew that Metra had overhead electric for some of their routes? Wow...never ever knew this!

Date: 12/14/12 11:26
Author: stone23

coaststarlight99 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well this is interesting! How come I never knew
> that Metra had overhead electric for some of their
> routes? Wow...never ever knew this!

That's because you left coast people aren't tuned in to the latest and greatest in modern railroading. Both the South Shore and the IC have only been running electric trains for about 100 years!!

Date: 12/14/12 12:28
Author: AndyBrown

Great photos! I love the Metra electric lines.

Andy

Date: 12/14/12 17:44
Author: DNRY122

The Metra Electric and the South Shore--what the Pacific Electric could have become in an alternate universe. Maybe the SCRRA Metrolink line between Los Angeles and San Bernardino, which uses some ex PE right of way, will be electrified with South Shore-style trains some day. (I should live so long!)

Date: 12/14/12 19:46
Author: justalurker66

stone23 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's because you left coast people aren't tuned
> in to the latest and greatest in modern
> railroading. Both the South Shore and the IC have
> only been running electric trains for about 100
> years!!

South Shore since 1907 (demo run), 1909 South Bend to Pulman regular service.
1926 IC Electrified.

BTW: At one time IC Suburban had six mains from 11th St to 57th St ... the outside pair were used for "special" express trains. It is still a great piece of railroad ... even cut down to four tracks.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.065 seconds