Home Open Account Help 401 users online

Passenger Trains > Gold Line Foothill Extension I-210 Bridge Completion

Date: 12/15/12 18:35
Gold Line Foothill Extension I-210 Bridge Completion
Author: DNRY122

Arcadia CA was the scene of great celebration today as the Gold Line Foothill Extension Construction Authority marked the completion of the "Iconic Freeway Structure" Bridge over the eastbound lanes of the I-210 Freeway. The single-track Santa Fe bridge that used to span the freeway here was removed about 15 years ago because it was considered seismically unsafe. When GLFE planned the replacement structure, which has room for two tracks of electric railway, they decided to have a bridge of unique design, and managed to get it built for not much more than an ordinary bridge. Indeed the project came in on time and under budget, and with no reportable injuries to any of the workers.

1) The tracks coming in from the current terminal at Sierra Madre Villa (East Pasadena, Chapman to any old Santa Fe hands) will leave the freeway median and start the crossing here. The safety cones mark the bolts for holding the trolley wire supports

2) Alan Weeks, who took many photos of the Pacific Electric before it disappeared, gets a photo of one of two decorative "basket" ornaments that will make this bridge a landmark.

3) Among those in attendance were the Royal Court of the Tournament of Roses; we even had a brief poetry reading by the Rose Queen.

Date: 12/15/12 20:39
Re: Gold Line Foothill Extension I-210 Bridge Completio
Author: PasadenaSub

Was this open to the public, or just to the press?

Thanks for the photos,

Rich

Date: 12/15/12 20:45

I was on the guest list, but I know some of the GLFE staff members, and sent an RSVP when the ceremony was announced. It's probably likely that anyone in the vicinity who showed up would be allowed in. There were several members of various historic rail interest groups there.

Date: 12/15/12 21:34
Author: 567Chant

I appreciate the agave tequila farm.
...Lorenzo

Date: 12/15/12 22:42
Author: PHall

567Chant Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I appreciate the agave tequila farm.
> ...Lorenzo

Good luck trying to harvest it.

Date: 12/15/12 23:52
Author: Fizzboy7

Excellent pre-graffiti coverage.

So since we are in the area, is the famed ATSF searchlight still standing to the west?

Date: 12/16/12 10:46

Yes, the lonely signal is still there, and the number plate is stored safely. I would expect that by this time next year it will be in a different location.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds