Home Open Account Help 395 users online

Passenger Trains > 11 years with the Pony Express (edited)

Date: 12/17/12 20:28
11 years with the Pony Express (edited)
Author: px320

It doesn't seem possible, but this year marks 11 years of travels on Private Party Car Pony Express.

I have been plotting individual trips on TOPO USA for years. Here is a consolidated map of my travels on the Pony.
Total logged mileage so far is 75,642miles. Different colors indicate different segments of one trip or different trips.

This map does not show my travels on other PV's, Amtrak, Short lines, movie locations or pre-Amtrak routes.

The picture of the Pony was taken in Nelson, BC this past spring. This was the first time the Pony (ex-CPR 4210) had been on home rails in many, many years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/12 14:36 by px320.

Date: 12/17/12 20:35
Re: 11 years with the Pony Express
Author: J.Ferris

Stan,

A fun car. And you are always a gracious host.

J.

Date: 12/17/12 20:53
Author: stash

Stan:

I've enjoyed several great rides on the Pony. Look forward to more. One of the best was the T.O. Coast Line trip which may have been Todd's first excursion.

---stash

Date: 12/17/12 21:33
Author: zephyrus

Had the pleasure of one trip in the Pony Express. The car is great and Stan is an excellent host.

Thank you!

Z

Date: 12/18/12 02:27
Author: ClubCar

J.Ferris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stan,
>
> A fun car. And you are always a gracious host.
>
> J.

OK, I see that it is some kind of former baggage car; however what is so special about this car?
I have seen lots of remodeled baggage cars but they are not anything really special as I would not want to ride in them on a trip all day.
Thanks for comments, I'd really like to know.

Date: 12/18/12 03:14
Author: john1082

ClubCar Wrote:
> OK, I see that it is some kind of former baggage
> car; however what is so special about this car?
> I have seen lots of remodeled baggage cars but
> they are not anything really special as I would
> not want to ride in them on a trip all day.
> Thanks for comments, I'd really like to know.

The Pony Express was built by the Canadian Pacific to transport the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) mounted cavalry parade horses. It has doors the width of the car at one end that allowed the ponies to walk up a ramp and into their stalls. Today the car has a stand up, old west looking bar at one end and a dance floor on the other. The end doors make it a handy car for movie shoots as well. Plus Stan is a superb host.

John Gezelius
Tustin, CA

Date: 12/18/12 05:05

Thank you so much Tom Gezelius for explaining the cars history. However other then the bar and dance floor is there anything else unique about this car? I know it is Amtrak inspected and operates on Amtrak; however does it have seats in it? Does it have a restroom? I know of a couple of former baggage cars that were upgraded and seats and even a restroom had been added, though it wasn't a retention toilet as required today. Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you and yours.

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 12/18/12 05:11
Author: coaststarlight99

It's got couches and fold-up seats, and it even has a small bunkroom and yes, even a restroom. It's a really neat car to hang out in when the doors are opened up. I've done a few trips on it myself.

Stan--in looking at your map, I'm surprised to see that your car has never been on the Zephyr (beyond NV)? Is that true?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/12 05:12 by coaststarlight99.

Date: 12/18/12 05:21

Thanks coaststarlight99 for the additional information. This sounds like a fun car as others have stated and it is very unique with all those features. Hopefully it may come to the Maryland area one day where many of us can see it. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 12/18/12 06:46

Club Car

Here's a link to the Pony's web page. It will help you understand the car better.

http://www.movie-trains.com/pony.html

Thanks to everyone for your kind posts.

To answer another question. The CA Zephyr trip east of sparks is on my bucket list.

Stan Garner

ClubCar Wrote:
> Thank you so much Tom Gezelius for explaining the
> cars history. However other then the bar and
> dance floor is there anything else unique about
> this car? I know it is Amtrak inspected and
> operates on Amtrak; however does it have seats in
> it? Does it have a restroom? I know of a couple
> of former baggage cars that were upgraded and
> seats and even a restroom had been added, though
> it wasn't a retention toilet as required today.
> Thanks again and Merry Christmas to you and
> yours.
>
> John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 12/18/12 07:10
Author: kdrtrains

Stan, we missed you and your family for "dinner in the diner" on Friday. Hope you are dug out of the snow.

KR

Date: 12/18/12 09:59

Note, I have updated the map to show the Arizona and California Ry segment traveled in 2002 with the 3751 Grand Canyon Limited train.

Thanks to Mudrock for pointing out this omission.

Date: 12/18/12 17:56
Re: 11 years with the Pony Express (edited)
Author: pilotbarry

Stan,

My son and I rode along on the coast trip also. We had a grand time, thanks also to Todd for a great father - son trip.

Barry

Date: 12/19/12 11:38
Author: PasadenaSub

Stan is an old friend from many moons ago when we were both in model railroad clubs together and when he and his late partner started the former Short Line Enterprises. I was privilaged to ride along on some of those adventures and made two trips on the Pony years later on the West Coast. Best wishes Stan and thanks for the memories.

Ray Sugg, Pasadenasubs dad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/12 11:43 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 12/20/12 14:03
Author: WP707

I'd like to see a map that DOES include charter & PV trips...

The advantage to this car is the open side doors when rolling...great for "Dutch Dooring" (bring your safety glasses)...

Date: 12/20/12 17:20

WP707 Wrote:
> I'd like to see a map that DOES include charter &
> PV trips...
>
> The advantage to this car is the open side doors
> when rolling...great for "Dutch Dooring" (bring
> your safety glasses)...

I'm working on that too.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.056 seconds