Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 04/24/13 23:11
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/20 19:40 by F40PHR231.

Date: 04/24/13 23:41
Re: Barstow "mall" passenger cars
Author: Fizzboy7

Been through that mall a million times and never even noticed half of what you just posted! Cool!
There's also either a Taco Bell or Del Taco nearby that is decorated inside with old Santa Fe phots. Or maybe it's another McDonalds.

Lots of great trackside dining here. BNSF/UP backs up to some of these.

A word of caution: Some of the "diners" in that mall have marginal food at best. Myself and a friend both got sick after eating there.

Date: 04/24/13 23:48
Author: GenePoon

The passenger car that is most visible looks like a former Santa Fe coach built by Pullman-Standard.

Amtrak begrudgingly (because of their plain steel framing) bought some of them from Santa Fe, though
none made it to HEP conversion; I don't know whether these particular cars passed through Amtrak hands,
or were rejected and then sold by ATSF to the owner of the "Barstow Station" instead to a scrapper.

The Southwest Chief passes right behind that place every day but if I remember correctly, it looks
almost like "just another building" from the tracks. One or two ends of boxcars might be visible;
that's about all. It has been said that a spur was constructed into the property for delivery of the
rail cars during construction.

Date: 04/25/13 00:05
Author: aronco

This restaurant was built by a fellow from Palm Springs in 1975 or so. It started as an early McDonalds about 1970, then outgrew the small burger stand and built the monster he called "Barstow Station", using retired rail cars such as three ex CB&Q power cars from the Chicago commute pool and a Santa Fe 2800 series ACF fluted side coach which he chopped off by the end about 15 feet. The remnants of the ATSF coach lay in a rental yard in Barstow for years until someone in Barstow bought the trucks, couplers, and other useful parts. The business has been extensively advertised on radio and TV to the Vegas traveler, and has been quite successful, but after 40 years, the whole building is badly aged. At best, it is garish tourist.

When opened, in the parking lot behind the buildings, was a business car, ex - WP 101. The car was used as an opulent office but gradually fell out of favor, and in 1986, the car was donated to the Duke University Foundation of North Carolina. The car had been stuffed and mounted perpendicular to the ATSF main track just behind Barstow Station, so the car was dragged across the pavement on track panels to a makeshift turntable constructed on the old yard lead, and then the other end of the car was lifted by a CAT 988 loader and swung into place on the yard lead. An Eastbound freight picked up the car and it now reposes, completely restored in the museum at Spencer, NC. Does anyone remember the name of this car when built, and its history?

Two other notes of interest...In 1985 a car at the drive in window burst into flames and consumed the entire McDonalds portion of the station in short time, but the railcars were only smoked up. Also, one of the reefer cars on the back side is painted in Santa Fe reefer orange but look closely - it was originally an express refrigerator car built by Santa Fe but used for express shipments on Santa Fe trains. Well, I went back and re-read the first post and pictures. The express reefer is now painted BLUE!!! Isn't that against human decency and the law? I will reprimand the owner the next time he rides on TIOGA PASS with me! Such heresy!

TIOGA PASS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/13 00:10 by aronco.

Date: 04/25/13 00:13
Author: pennengineer

I don't care if it's a two hour drive from Barstow: I'd still rather go to Carney's.

Date: 04/25/13 01:49
Author: The_Chief_Way

the fluted car visible in pic one is indeed a former ATSF 44 seat chair car, built by P-S rather than ACF
the other psgr cars are ex-CBQ heavyweights

Date: 04/25/13 04:45
Author: mp51w

Off topic, but that is an impressive array of TV antennas on the roof of the main bldg.. That's another thing that you see less of these days.

Date: 04/25/13 06:22
Author: GPutz

The most interesting car is no longer there.

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,1713658,1713817#1713817

Gerry

Date: 04/25/13 08:18
Author: AJnCorrie

That's been a required stopping point everytime we pass through.
One, to use the bathroom in the caboose.
I know a person who likes drop a duece at different railroad related places, usually at different train stations across the country.
Two, to re-stock the beer supply.
As for eating, we usually go next door to Tom's Burgers...It's better than what they have at McDonalds.

Date: 04/25/13 08:28
Author: bnsfsd70

That caboose sure looks like one of NP's 24' cabeese.

http://www.midcontinent.org/collectn/caboos/np1781.html

Interesting pics, thanks for sharing,
- Jeff Carlson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/13 08:28 by bnsfsd70.

Date: 04/25/13 13:02
Author: DNRY122

I was going to say "it's been there a while"--back in 1979 had many weeks of "out of town" work at the now retired Mohave Generating Station in Laughlin. Depending on the timing, this was often a good place to stop for "beans" on the way to or from Alhambra.

Date: 04/25/13 13:27
Author: ProAmtrak

Always have my food to go when I stop there because you know us fans have to see the action coming outside the Hump Yard! I for one do miss when they had HO displays in the cars, why did they take them out!

Date: 04/25/13 21:19
Author: atsf121

I remember stopping there on a Scout trip from Northern California to Philmont Scout Ranch, more than 20 years ago. Think we ate in the passenger cars, but I was most interested in the Santa Fe mainline out back. We have stopped there once or twice in the past few years on our drives between Utah and Southern California. Fun pictures, and while it's not the best food it does bring back some fun memories. When I see it now, it means we are almost to Cajon and only a few hours to go to my in-laws.

Nathan

Date: 04/26/13 16:52
Author: Topfuel

Buried amongst all the buildings is also the remains of 2/3 of an ex-Amtrak, ex-UP 44 seat PS 1950 coach.

Date: 04/26/13 17:19
Author: Topfuel

aronco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> The remnants of the ATSF coach lay in a
> rental yard in Barstow for years until someone in
> Barstow bought the trucks, couplers, and other
> useful parts.

I seem to remember that the guy who bought all those parts worked for the RR, and was always saying that when he retired, he was going to buy a private RR car and travel the country. I got a sense that he was one of those guys who was all talk and no action, and really had no idea what he was talking about. I'm pretty sure nothing ever came of his big plans. I wonder what ever happened to him?

Date: 04/28/13 22:01
Author: aronco

Some of those parts traveled from LA to San Bdno and back this weekend. You just never know, do you?

Norm

Date: 04/29/13 14:50
Author: MirandaDepot

I had forgotten about Barstow Station, and I appreciate the reminder. Driving through Barstow two years ago around dinner time, I said "Let's go to Idle Spurs." Keep in mind that 40 years has elapsed since my last visit to Idle Spurs. I had not even driven by. No idea if it was still there.

Only the staff and prices have changed. Dinner was good.

On another trip (returning from Miranda (South Dakota) Depot - do a google search) we were in Barstow at lunch, on a day when Idle Spurs was closed for lunch. Found Lola's, which was good for lunch. Ignore the strip shopping center ambience and the adjacent pawn shop. The location sends "stay away from here" messages, but the reviews are good.

We were in Barstow recently (usual reaction: "You are going WHERE?") to visit the Route 66 museum and the railroad museum. Worth the effort. I cannot comment on motels, which might appeal to fans of 1950 or 1960 roadside design. Again, not much might have changed in those motels since those days. Stayed in Hesperia; passed on El Rancho Barstow.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.053 seconds