Home Open Account Help 278 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 05/10/13 12:46
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/20 19:42 by F40PHR231.

Date: 05/10/13 13:18
Re: New light-rail line to Salt Lake City Airport
Author: atsf121

Nice pics Chris. I used the Frontrunner south and Trax Green lines this week to get to the airport. I liked the free wi-fi on Frontrunner so I could get work done. Do wish the Trax line was a little faster, but it's a good little system we have going here.

Nathan

Date: 05/10/13 13:37
Author: robj

Great coverage, and views.

Thanks,

Bob Jordan

Date: 05/10/13 13:39
Author: Griggs

F40PHR231 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not too shabby for a "red state"!

Unlike California, specifically L.A. and San Diego, where rail to the airports would be a most sensible use of public transportation building funds. No. Both have systems that get you close, not there.

Date: 05/10/13 16:09
Author: BobP

Griggs Wrote:
> F40PHR231 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Not too shabby for a "red state"!
>
> Unlike California, specifically L.A. and San
> Diego, where rail to the airports would be a most
> sensible use of public transportation building
> funds. No. Both have systems that get you close,
> not there.

Aww be nice. We are going to have the most fabulous high speed rail in the country from nowhere to nowhere.

Date: 05/10/13 19:00
Author: poultrycar

Caution about statements "nowhere to nowhere". You youg'uns would not remember the kooky plan that Eisenhower proposed, the Interstate Highway system. The first section that opened was "Nowhere to Nowhere" right in the center of Kansas!!!!

You have got to start somewhere, and you get the most kicks for the buck in flat locations.

Date: 05/10/13 19:01
Author: cph

I remember way back in 1993, while visiting SLC, riding the #50 bus to the airport and back for something to do. This light rail will be quite an improvement....

Date: 05/10/13 19:28
Author: Mgoldman

"NEW" light rail to the Airport????

I never in a million years would've thought it possible.

How did the cab unions lose that one? Even thoughts of
pollution free travel, convenience and less congestion
are hard pressed to tip the scales in most places.

Kudos to Salt Lake - looks like a great place to live
and /or visit. Beautiful liveries too - strangely
patriotic and surprisingly aesthetic equipment.

Thanks for the share!

/Mitch

Date: 05/10/13 20:00
Author: davew833

My neighborhood always looks better in other peoples' pictures than it does in real life! The changes to North Temple street which the airport TRAX line now shares with auto traffic are a real improvement. Salt Lake wants to make it a "grand boulevard" for entry into the city. What you don't see so much in the pictures is that a block in either direction from the main street are some of the most impoverished neighborhoods in Salt Lake City and that a good portion of North Temple is pretty run down too. (It wasn't that long ago that someone tried to sell me drugs across the street from the Wienerschnitzel pictured.) I hope the momentum for change and revitalization continues now that the TRAX line is finished.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/13 20:02 by davew833.

Date: 05/10/13 22:45
Author: metroexpress

Unlike other red states, the LDS church has a huge influence in Utah (obviously) and church leaders have been supportive of the downtown and of improving public transportation in Salt Lake City. This is not the case in other LDS-dominated cities, as can be seen in Mesa where it took forever just to get light rail from Phoenix to one stop inside the city limits.

Date: 05/11/13 03:11
Author: darkcloud

Der Wienerschnitzel rocks.

Date: 05/11/13 04:00
Author: cricketer8for9

I'm not knowledgeable on local politics in the USA, but is there any mileage in using Utah as an example to other "red states" on how to do things? Also is there any explanation of how the LDS became convinced of the importance of light rail - was it transit advocacy within the community or instead a willingness to be persuaded of the merits of the scheme by those outside the community?

Date: 05/11/13 07:49
Author: AmHog

The progressive wing of the Republican party does not exist anymore.

Date: 05/11/13 11:03
Author: darkcloud

AmHog Wrote:
> The progressive wing of the Republican party does
> not exist anymore.

The honest, fiscally responsible wing of the Democrat Party does not exist any more. (Did it ever?)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0388 seconds