Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak and an old truck

Date: 09/15/13 09:56
Amtrak and an old truck
Author: RNinRVR

On Labor Day Saturday, I spent most of the day in Ashland, VA filming and photographing trains. I thought this one was interesting not for the Amtrak Palmetto, but for the old truck that crossed the tracks before the train came by. I do not know much about old vehicles, but this beauty is definitely a working truck and not some restored show piece.

The first photograph is of the truck as it crosses the track just north of the station in Ashland.

The second shot is of P42 73 as it crosses the street just north of the station.

The video has the vehicle in the beginning as well as it tooting is horn, this is followed by the train passing.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/15/13 13:34
Re: Amtrak and an old truck
Author: highballer1

This is obviously another "quiet zone" along a train route. They had a quiet zone instituted several years back in Salem, OR and did away with it. Now the city of Salem, OR has decided that they wanted it back. Doesn't make sense to me at all. There have been several near misses since this was re-instituted and quite frankly, I enjoy the sound of a train horn.

Date: 09/15/13 13:42
Author: RNinRVR

It is both a quiet zone and a speed zone. No train can go faster then 35 during the day and 45 at night. Even if it wasn't a quiet zone that are at least 5 or 6 pedestrian crossings over the tracks between the streets at are not marked in any way.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Date: 09/15/13 16:59
Author: EMD2024

Mr. Haney lives!

Date: 09/17/13 08:05
Author: bluesboyst

EMD2024 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Mr. Haney lives!

LOL....Hello Mr. Douglas....

Date: 09/18/13 23:39
Author: ProAmtrak

highballer1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is obviously another "quiet zone" along a
> train route. They had a quiet zone instituted
> several years back in Salem, OR and did away with
> it. Now the city of Salem, OR has decided that
> they wanted it back. Doesn't make sense to me at
> all. There have been several near misses since
> this was re-instituted and quite frankly, I enjoy
> the sound of a train horn.

Well, out here in Flagstaff they've had the quiet zone for a few years now, but BNSF still blares the horns in downtown (Beaver St. and San Francisco) at times because there's still immature idiots who race across the lowered gates to beat the train, in fact earlier this year I was relaxing at home and heard an eastbound descend the hill, but once I heard the brakes get really loud I knew he went into emergency which resulted on hitting someone on San Francisco St. I know people still complain when they blare the horns, but I'm sorry, until they figure out how to crack down on the jerks who try to beat the train all the time out here, deal with it!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0558 seconds