Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Passenger Trains > The Texas Zephyr takes to the air

Date: 11/30/13 17:03
The Texas Zephyr takes to the air
Author: Topfuel

The last of the 3 former Texas Zephyr (originally Denver Zephyr) passenger cars long stored at the Black Hills Central RR in Hill City, South Dakota arrived at it's new home outside of Austin, TX earlier this month. The 3 cars were moved roughly 1400 miles by highway from Hill City to Austin. The Silver Lining, a baggage dormitory bar lounge car built by Budd in 1936, was lifted into position on Tuesday, November 5th with 2 cranes. It was quite an up-and-over lift due to the geography of the Austin property, thus affording this uncommon view of one of Budd's earliest products.

The Silver Lining now joins the Silver Beam (a coach dinette) and parlor bar observation lounge car Silver Streak on a new journey, to be restored as much as possible and leased out for occupancy by small businesses.

Date: 11/30/13 17:06
Re: The Texas Zephyr takes to the air

The last picture shows the car back on the track after the long trip from South Dakota.

It will probably be a few years before all 3 cars are restored.

Date: 11/30/13 18:33
Author: nonamemal

Great pics Topfuel!!
Thanks for sharing.

Date: 11/30/13 18:37
Author: TexasChief

Can you tell me where this is in Austin? Thanks so much

Date: 11/30/13 19:14
Author: The_Chief_Way

Ah. Thanks for posting. A labor of love to be sure !

Date: 11/30/13 19:17
Author: webmaster

What is the restoration plan? Is it going to be a cosmetic restoration or will it be operational when complete?

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 11/30/13 19:38
Author: jberlin

Great photos and narrative showing the finale of a lengthy and complex off rail move. Nice work, Topfuel !!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/30/13 19:39

webmaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the restoration plan? Is it going to be a
> cosmetic restoration or will it be operational
> when complete?

No, not operational, just cosmetic. If you look closely you can see the cars are on their own piece of isolated track. However, careful attention will be paid to not make any modifications that would prevent a return to live rail and operation at some point in the future.

Operation of these very early Zephyr cars is made difficult because they are very odd-ball mechanically and aren't readily compatible with other RR equipment.

The cars are located on the west side of Austin off of Highway 290.

Date: 11/30/13 20:08

7) Here is parlor bar lounge observation Silver Streak at it's new home, after installation of new, temporary plastic windows.

8) The Texas Zephyr cars being switched by steam in Hill City, prior to loading for Texas.

9) The Texas Zephyr fuels up in Aspermont, TX on 11-3-13.

Date: 11/30/13 20:21
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Thanks for the nice photos. I am glad they are
not going to do anything to the cars that would
prevent them from operating in the future. I do
wish they would run.....such attractive and classy
cars really should be on the rails. Maybe some day.....

Date: 11/30/13 21:04
Author: slangist

i thought i had seen a rock island obs car at hill city sd in 1994. does anyone know what happened to it, or is it still there, or did i hallucinate the whole thing?

Jamie Yeager
Santa Fe, NM

Date: 12/01/13 07:21
Author: EmpireBuilder

Any chance you have some closer shots of those dollies ?

Date: 12/01/13 07:48
Author: judahrice

Saw those the other day,on the way to Fredricksburg,TX. These are located near Spicewood/Dripping Springs

Date: 12/01/13 08:15
Author: wpjones

slangist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i thought i had seen a rock island obs car at hill
> city sd in 1994. does anyone know what happened
> to it, or is it still there, or did i hallucinate
> the whole thing?

The only Streamline cars in HillCity were the three Texas Zephyr cars. I saw inside two of them a few years ago and they've got their work cut out for them for any kind of restoration.
Steve

Date: 12/03/13 19:49
Author: Wosborn

This thread was initiated by Topfuel, who was the contractor in charge of getting the three car moves done for me. He did an incredible job, stalled only by an unexpected two foot snowfall at Hill City while trying to get the first car loaded for transport. These thee cars will be restored to their original (1936) interior appearance, maintaining roadworthiness in case a future owner wants to rerail them. The damage of time and vandals to the interiors is not as bad as might be supposed, though snow was drifting into broken windows in South Dakota. We will turn back the hands of time, completely. Current address for the cars is 9300 Highway 290 West, Austin, Texas where they join two old restored Santa Fe depots from Dumas and San Saba and some old oilfield buildings that were formerly trackside in West Texas at points including Snyder, McCamey, and Spur, all of these structures now leased to commercial tenants. In 2011 Topfuel also rescued for me from North Bay, Ontario, Canada ATSF Railway Car1371 (bar-lounge "Nambe"), since painstakingly restored and now in commercial service under lease to the Austin Steam Train Association. After entrusting to him four difficult car rescues, I suggest that if anyone faces a complicated car move, Topfuel should be considered. And...a patient wife is a strong prerequisite to activities of this nature... - Wm Osborn, Austin, Texas

Date: 12/07/13 05:27
Author: professor

Great shots of the car suspended by two cranes and also stopping to "refuel" on the way! Thanks for posting these rare shots of the moving process.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1107 seconds