Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Passenger Trains > Worried about my first Amtrak trip (Empire Builder)

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 12/09/13 17:08
Worried about my first Amtrak trip (Empire Builder)
Author: DR04

I've been looking forward to our first cross country train trip for quite some time. We bought some sleeper space for a round trip on 7/8 for Christmas vacation. But I've been worried with all the bustitution I've been hearing about.

With a 12/21 CHI departure on #7 (to SPK) and a 12/29 SPK departure on #8 (back to CHI), should I be worried about having to get off the train for bustitution? I'm OK with late trains, but I'd rather not have to evacuate our sleeper room for the vacation.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Date: 12/09/13 17:24
Re: Worried about my first Amtrak trip (Empire Builder)
Author: UP951West

Bring along plenty of high protein snacks in case they run out of food on #7/8 with long weather related delays. If they bus you ,it might be a long ride before the driver decides to make a meal stop. There is a decent chance the weather will stabilize by then. Remember you will be watching a winter wonderland outside your sleeper window. I wish you a fun trip.

Date: 12/09/13 17:29
Author: elueck

Just don't expect to get back to Chicago at any reasonable hour.

Date: 12/09/13 17:35
Author: Ptolemy

Bus substitution is generally only west of Spokane. And although it has been known to happen, it is very unlikely they will run out of food, despite the fear monger above.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/13 17:36 by Ptolemy.

Date: 12/09/13 18:55
Author: DR04

Thanks everyone for your insight. We'll expect some delays and a late arrival back home - maybe its good we're only a few blocks from Union Station.

We're hoping for some gorgeous winter landscapes and no bustitution!

Date: 12/09/13 19:07
Author: Lurch_in_ABQ

Invoking crystal ball, Amtrak LDT version..................
It will be a memorable trip.

Date: 12/09/13 19:20
Author: korotaj

I would bring food and water, enough for three days and have plenty of warm clothes readily available, and some source of light. Also, suitable foot ware for walking through deep snow or mud. Also, do not make any plans that depend on an on time arrival.

Date: 12/09/13 19:43
Author: coach

korotaj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would bring food and water, enough for three
> days and have plenty of warm clothes readily
> available, and some source of light. Also,
> suitable foot ware for walking through deep snow
> or mud. Also, do not make any plans that depend
> on an on time arrival.

My God, this is America, and look at how people are preparing for a simple train trip that should be enjoyable. We've gone backwards.

Date: 12/09/13 19:46
Author: GettingShort

I think most of the replies are from people who or jealous of your trip or simply in fear that someone, somewhere is having more fun than they are so they do their best to scare the sh#t out of you before you even leave home. Sources of light, backwoods gear, food for three days, really? How do some of these people get through a day? Pack as you would for any trip, bring your camera, a book you've wanted to read, relax and go with the flow. Consider yourself lucky, you're taking a trip many people only dream of, have an open mind, and don't think it's all about you and you'll have a great time.
Worrying about a routine trip on a train? Consider yourself lucky that that's the biggest worry you have. i think 90% of the planet would jump at the chance to trade places with you if that's the biggest worry in your life.
Everyone else who replied, get a life, get out of the house, travel somewhere other than corporate theme parks or "Vegas", the world is not a scary place, it's actually quite amazing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/13 19:48 by GettingShort.

Date: 12/09/13 19:48
Author: GenePoon

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> korotaj Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would bring food and water, enough for three
> > days and have plenty of warm clothes readily
> > available, and some source of light. Also,
> > suitable foot ware for walking through deep
> snow
> > or mud. Also, do not make any plans that
> depend
> > on an on time arrival.

> My God, this is America, and look at how people
> are preparing for a simple train trip that should
> be enjoyable. We've gone backwards.

==================================================

With the current operator on the long distance routes, you can not argue
the veracity of "do not make any plans that depend on an on time arrival."

Date: 12/09/13 20:29
Author: santafe49

Pick up a copy of "The White Cascade" by Gary Krist to have for reading material. A great read and just the thing for a mid-winter train ride across the northern Rockies.

Date: 12/09/13 20:30
Author: NDHolmes

Wouldn't worry about it. I ride the long distance trains quite regularly, and I've been on some late ones. Mostly under an hour, but there have been a few good ones. The worst one I've been on was about 8 hours late on account of weather and a derailment ahead of us. Even then there was plenty of food in the diner and cafe and the HEP stayed up, so no big deal. I did wind up eating the two granola bars I keep in my camera bag at some point, but it was hardly an emergency. More like I didn't feel like getting up and socializing for breakfast.

Nathan

Date: 12/09/13 20:34
Author: korotaj

I have been herded onto a bus on three trips. Once in freezing conditions, but the experience is always unpleasant. And, while I don 't keep records, most of the time my long distance rides have been late. Arriving or departing Chico, on 11 or 14, in the middle of the night is nearly always a frustrating experience. On time arrival or departure is very unusual, but padding can give an on time end point arrival. Better to be prepared for problems.

Date: 12/09/13 20:50
Author: houstonguy2010

I probably have rode the Builder 20 times from Chicago to Seattle or Portland and back with my family. Always in a sleeper. I have never packed extra food nor water.

I do take a very small flashlight with me. We have late many times but never ran out of food.

Enjoy your trip.

Posted from iPhone

Keith Hunter
FOREST CITY, IA

Date: 12/09/13 20:59
Author: gherrig

My son and I got bustituted a few years ago on the Chief between Winslow, Arizona and Los Angeles due to a derailment near Barstow. The bus drivers stopped twice at truck stops (@ Kingman and Barstow, at three-hour intervals) to allow for snack/meal breaks.

Date: 12/09/13 23:03
Author: Coach_Key

Be sure to bring life jackets, glow sticks, survival gear, and a plunger

Date: 12/09/13 23:19
Author: poultrycar

Come on now, why bread fear into those who want to make an Amtrak trip. We are not frequent travelers any more, but we have ridden the Starlight, CZ and Chief several times, had sleeper space and all was great. Never a problem other than the A/C can get cold for old folks, but a piece of cardboard 18" x 18" and a little masking tape and you can cover up the vent.

The food that we have on diners has been great, so you do not have to pack lunch. You get three meals a day INCLUDED in your ticket price. I have also heard about problems, but for some reason the problems get all of the publicity and you never hear about the good trips. My advice, go for it! I am looking forward to my next Amtrak trip. The odds are very good.

Date: 12/09/13 23:35
Author: 4451Puff

Several years ago winter rains got me bussed from the Starlight in SLO to the Sunset in Ontario (about a 4 hr. highway trip) since there was no chance of making the connection at LAUPT. Anyway, the restroom in the bus had no paper whatsoever, neither T.P., seat "gaskets", or even paper towels for hand drying, so in addition to the rain slicker, plunger, hand grenades, food, water, & the family silver, bring bathroom tissue as well...

-Des

Date: 12/09/13 23:37
Author: coaststarlight99

Why bring extra food when they have those fabulous snack-packs available for your dining pleasure??

Date: 12/10/13 00:07
Author: MarsLight

The response from GettingShort is the best one on your thread. Remember, you're going for the journey as much as the destination. Relax and enjoy the scenery and the experience. You're gonna have a great time!

Posted from iPhone

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0815 seconds