Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 01/07/14 14:14
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/20 19:51 by F40PHR231.

Date: 01/07/14 14:25
Re: 14-hr late westbound Zephyr limpin' along
Author: ats90mph

I was hoping that someone would be able to get the rare daylight Zephyr in Utah...

Date: 01/07/14 15:39
Author: chakk

Maybe someone did, and they are still trying to get back to civilization.

Date: 01/07/14 15:43

I wonder if 5(5) will be annulled this evening in Reno, with onward passengers bussed to points west, and the equipment turned to become 6(8)?

Date: 01/07/14 18:52

Now 15 hours late. Due into Elko at 03:01; arrived at 18:07. Looks like the sleeping car passengers will get an extra night in their rooms, perhaps having to vacate their rooms in the Reno station at 0700 on Wednesday.

Date: 01/07/14 18:58
Author: atsf121

Ouch, that's late. Saw that once before, the westbound Zephyr was leaving Salt Lake as I was driving up to the airport for a morning flight. And then as I was getting on the plane I heard a lady behind me talking about hoping off the late Zeohyr to catch the flight to Oakland we were on. Guess that's one way to make up time.

Nathan

Date: 01/07/14 23:41
Author: coach

Look how "un-engineered" that pedestrian crossing is. Wow, the people have to just look and pay attention to their surroundings--no lights, bells and gates to alarm them. Just use your eyes and ears.

Compare that to the endless sea of CALTRAIN crossing gates at every possible location, as if people can't protect themselves.

Looks like Utah, and it's citizens, still use common sense. Very refreshing.

Date: 01/08/14 12:01
UP3837
Author: NewRiverGeorge

Thanks for the update and photos.

Did you happen to catch the other engine numbers by chance?

Date: 01/08/14 18:00
Re: UP3837

5(5) was due into Reno at 08:25 on 7 January, but arrived 16 hours, 15 minutes late at 40 minutes past midnight on the 8th. The Amtrak iPhone app shows only "service distruption" for stations west of Truckee, so I am concluding that 5(5) was annulled in Reno, and turned to become 6(8).

My other guess is that, due to the late hour of arrival at night, the passengers were overnighted at a Reno hotel across the street from the Amtrak station and put on the next morning's #5 to complete their journey.

Putting those poor passengers on buses to complete their journey in the darkest dark of night to Truckee, Colfax, Roseville, Sacramento, etc. would have been even more inconsiderate that even Amtrak would be willing to do.

Date: 01/09/14 06:54
Author: cforssi

coach Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Look how "un-engineered" that pedestrian crossing
> is. Wow, the people have to just look and pay
> attention to their surroundings--no lights, bells
> and gates to alarm them. Just use your eyes and
> ears.
>
> Compare that to the endless sea of CALTRAIN
> crossing gates at every possible location, as if
> people can't protect themselves.
>
> Looks like Utah, and it's citizens, still use
> common sense. Very refreshing.

That is why we live in a culture of "Safety" as everything has to be engineered to keep any lawsuits from ever appearing.

Date: 01/09/14 08:05
Author: ATSF5669

Makes you wonder how the human race survived train stations from the mid-1850's through the early 2000's when all this "protection" appeared. Entropy increase, or Darwinism in reverse, perhaps???

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1003 seconds