Home Open Account Help 292 users online

Passenger Trains > Revised Sunset Limited Schedule Revised Again

Date: 02/27/14 16:41
Revised Sunset Limited Schedule Revised Again
Author: GenePoon

The temporary schedule for the eastbound Sunset Limited, revised to accommodate Union Pacific
trackwork, is being revised again.

UP has requested a change to the modified eastbound Sunset Limited schedule.

For the last four dates of the UPRR track work project (March 16, 19, 21, 23) Trains 2/422
will operate LATER, not earlier, departing Los Angeles (LAUPT) one minute before midnight (11:59pm).

Per Amtrak, Arrow has been updated to reflect these changes.

Trains 2/422 will depart Los Angeles about two hours later and operate on this later schedule
through San Antonio. Train 2 will depart San Antonio for New Orleans at its normal time and
Train 22/422 will depart for Chicago at its normal time.

Amtrak asks that passengers remember that the day ends at midnight, not when passenger goes to bed.

NOTE: this revision to the revision occurs after the Daylight Savings Time change, and Arizona does
not observe daylight savings time.

TRAINS 2/422 Depart:

Los Angeles: 11:59pm
Pomona, CA 12:40am
Ontario, CA 12:53am
Palm Springs, CA 2:35am
Yuma, AZ 4:47am MST
Maricopa, AZ 7:40am
Tucson, AZ 10:05am
Benson, AZ 11:05am
Lordsburg, NM 2:05pm MDT
Deming, NM 3:00pm
El Paso, TX 5:00pm MDT
Alpine, TX 9:55pm CDT
Sanderson, TX 11:41pm
Del Rio, TX 2:07am
San Antonio, TX AR: 6:05am

Normal Schedule thereafter.

REMEMBER:

On March 2, 5, 7, 9:

Trains 2/422 on the ORIGINAL revised schedule will operate two hours EARLIER from
Los Angeles (8pm) and depart two hours earlier at the following stations: Pomona,
Ontario, Palm Springs, Yuma, arriving Maricopa at 4:30am; departing Maricopa at 6:40 am.

Got all that???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/14 16:43 by GenePoon.

Date: 02/27/14 17:00
Re: Revised Sunset Limited Schedule Revised Again
Author: ats90mph

Jeez this is getting ridiculous…

Date: 02/27/14 17:13
Author: Steamcar

Actually, I like this schedule. Will they allow passengers to board early - say about 10:00PM with the lounge car open?

Steamcar

Date: 02/27/14 17:20
Author: andersonb109

Sucks if passengers can't board until just before train time. Should be 10P at least for sleepers.

Date: 02/27/14 17:42
Author: mundo

Budget may not allow lounge car to remain open.

Maybe the metro lounge can stay open later then 10 PM.

But at least connection available from train 11.

Date: 02/27/14 19:00
Author: jeffgeldner

On Friday, February 7 I departed LA on the eastbound Sunset Limited traveling to San Antonio in sleeping car. Some observations:

Amtrak did contact me in advance via both a voice message to my cell phone as well as an E-Mail. I was departing from Merced on the San Joaquin but had already booked an earlier train for a more secure connection separately, using Guest Rewards point for that segment.

No dinner was offered despite the 8 PM departure time. I had already inquired to confirm that, so I rode the Gold Line to Pasadena for a nice dinner at La Grande Orange Cafe (ex-Santa Fe station).

I did enjoy use of the Metropolitan Lounge in LA prior to departure. Once on board, food and service were good though, of course, no more flowers on the tables in the diner...

We were on time departing Tucson but lost 2 hours with freight delays between thee and Benson. Arrival in San Antonio was 2 hours late but this gave me more sleep time as well as time for breakfast in the diner prior to detraining. I did not stay by the depot to see when the Texas Eagle departed- but saw it about 8:20 AM pass nearby while walking along the San Antonio river to Mission Concepcion (several back-up maneuvers are involved with the Texas Eagle, especially near the former Texas and Pacific station in San Antonio).

Jeff Geldner
Yosemite National Park, CA

Date: 02/27/14 20:32
Author: The_Chief_Way

there is/was no Texas & Pacific station in San Antonio...
Amtrak uses the ex-SP depot area ( depot itself is repurposed ).
The Former I-GN ( MoPac ) station still exists but is no longer a train station.

Date: 02/27/14 20:49
Author: jeffgeldner

My apologies- I stand corrected. It was indeed the former "International Great Northern" station. I guess I should have used the name "Missouri Pacific Lines and affiliated railroads". I believe even the SP operated most everywhere in Texas under the Texas and New Orleans name. With the MoPac, it was the T and P in Ft. Worth (even the TRE uses that name). At least the former IGN station building is still standing. Many still lament the loss of the MKT San Antonio station...

Date: 02/28/14 07:25
Author: abocanyon

I am surprised that anyone laments the loss of the MKT San Antonio station.

Date: 03/02/14 09:12
Author: Steamcar

I still lament the loss of the depot every time I see old photos and pictures of it. It was a very nice depot. Recent architectural documents from the original designer now in the archives of the Texas Transportation Museum (TTM) prove that point.

Steamcar

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.284 seconds