Home Open Account Help 273 users online

Passenger Trains > "BNSF Track Measurement Train @ 'MH" Tower..."

Date: 03/04/14 16:16
"BNSF Track Measurement Train @ 'MH" Tower..."
Author: aussiehinz

Testing on literally the "first (or last) mile" of BNSF owned trackage, the Track Measurement Train followed Amtrak #5 west on Track 1 this afternoon. Here are a couple views, and also a couple images of the trains it had to wait for to clear before being given the signal to proceed west.

Cheers,

aussiehinz

1. BNSF Track Measurement Train heading west at "MH."

2. The STI-Global's "Michael D Harding" was in the Track Measurement Train consist.

3. The train proceeds west on Track 1.

Date: 03/04/14 16:16
Re: "BNSF Track Measurement Train @ 'MH" Tower..."

4. Quite a bit of traffic had to clear before the Track Measurement Train could leave from Canal Street. First, Amtrak Train #5, with a California Coach in tow, accelerates west on time at 2:04 pm CST.

5. Next, Amtrak Train #390, from Southern Illinois, came off the St. Charles Air Line and commenced its back up move into Chicago Union Station.

6. Finally, a westbound Metra train headed west toward Aurora.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/14 16:21 by aussiehinz.

Date: 03/04/14 16:19
Author: Normanroger

How for out of guage does it have to be to sound the alert?

Date: 03/04/14 16:24

Not being out of the Engineering Department, I don't know the answer to your question. Someone on here undoubtedly does, though. I'd assume the train takes many different measurements, such as gauge, cross level, rail integrity, etc.

Date: 03/04/14 16:45
Author: metra6924

I'm not familiar with this particular train, Metra uses CP's geometry train on its lines. That one operates at track speed and measures such things as gauge, crosslevel, degree of curvature, spirals and superelevation. We get a printed report showing defects detected. We also get a GPS file that is uploaded to a handheld unit to help pinpoint the defect. The geometry train also tells us the maximum safe speed for straight and curved track. The defects are based on the FRA class of track. Each class has a different set of tolerances for the categories listed above. The severity of the defect determines the corrective action and the amount of time allowed to perform corrective action. This can include slow orders or removing the track from service. I don't have a link to the FRA track standards, I use the book in my office, but a search on the web should turn up something.

Date: 03/04/14 17:03
Author: MW4man

§ 213.53 Gage.
(a) Gage is measured between the
heads of the rails at right-angles to the
rails in a plane five-eighths of an inch
below the top of the rail head.
(b) Gage shall be within the limits
prescribed in the following table—

Class of track The gage must be at least But not more than
Excepted track N/A 4′101⁄4″
Class 1 track 4′8″ 4′10″.
Class 2 and 3 track 4′8″ 4′93⁄4″.
Class 4 and 5 track 4′8″ 4′91⁄2″.

The OTIS car is interesting. It uses cameras to photograph the track and is supposed to do pattern recognition to determine defects. Not sure they got it working, but they have been noodling around with it for the last year.

Date: 03/04/14 19:50
Author: MDH

aussiehinz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2. The STI-Global's "Michael D Harding" was in
> the Track Measurement Train consist.

I soooooo want to get a picture of that car some day - even better a picture of me next to the side. ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Michael

Date: 03/04/14 20:55
Author: inCHI

If it is of interest, I caught the train first at the east end of Cicero yard, stopped. At about 11:30 a.m. I saw it head west past Harlem Ave., track cars leading. Maybe it came east after that?

Date: 03/04/14 22:31

It backed by me at around 1:30, on the way into C.U.S., I thought on Track 2, but not 100% certain. About 15 minutes later, it came back out, locomotive leading, and waited at Canal Street for over an hour, on Track 1, while the traffic mentioned in my post cleared. Then west on 1. Did not see it again today here at "MH."

Date: 03/05/14 16:30
Author: BuddPullman

"Michael D Harding" former Union Pacific 10-6, former Amtrak "Pacific Plateau"

Great photo!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0562 seconds