Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Passenger Trains > Long Layover Baggage Checking at WUS and CUS?

Date: 04/14/14 13:23
Long Layover Baggage Checking at WUS and CUS?
Author: aehouse

It's been years since I traveled the Amtrak long distance network, but I have a trip upcoming that will put me in both Washington Union Station and Chicago Union Station with long, multi-hour layovers. With all the security concerns these days, I wonder what arrangements there are, if any, that will allow me to check or secure bags during my layovers so that I might wander around and do some sightseeing in both cities. Can anyone clue me in to the current arrangements, or lack thereof?

I will be traveling first class, so I will have access to the first class lounges in both stations.

Art House
Gettysburg, Pa.

Date: 04/14/14 13:33
Re: Long Layover Baggage Checking at WUS and CUS?
Author: andersonb109

Both the CUS and WUS lounges will let you keep your bags there. I Chicago there is a secure room where you give the red cap your bags and they stay their supervised. No charge excepting of course a nice tip. I haven't been to DC in a few years but last time there, you could leave your bags but they aren't checked or locked. Just put up on a shelf. But since its for Sleeping Car and first class passengers only, theft probably won't be a problem. But personally I'd refrain from leaving a camera bag or similar there. Hope this helps.

Date: 04/14/14 14:44
Author: bandob

I have used both First Class lounges in Chicago and DC for just that purpose.

Never had any problems.

(Of course, your experience may vary...LOL)

B&OBill

Date: 04/14/14 14:55
Author: andersonb109

Hm. I wonder if a certain poster from the "what is first class to you" thread will think its some sort of discrimination against coach passengers to even have a separate first class lounge LOL.

Date: 04/15/14 08:41
Author: BRAtkinson

Back when Chicago had the bag storage for first class right there in the lounge, I had no problem leaving my bag(s) on the shelf and doing whatever I wanted until train time. These days, I prefer the lockers in the baggage claim area, rather than leaving what could be an entire vacations' worth of clothing, prescriptions, etc 'available' to anyone...redcap or no. And yes, my camera gear NEVER leaves my side.

At WUS, as indicated previously, the unattended store room is behind the desk attendant in the Acela (first class) lounge. Leaving a bag there is quite safe, in my estimation. But, again, there's nothing preventing an unscrupulous sort from unzipping here and there and running their hand through to see what they can come up with. So, again, valuables and medications are in a small gym-bag size bag I carry with me at all times.

Date: 04/16/14 18:44
Author: DNRY122

Not quite the same thing, but last time I was in the Chicago area, I stayed at the Best Western in Evanston (good rates and short walk to CTA stations). As part of the trip, I took the Wolverine to Dearborn MI to visit the Henry Ford museum and village complex. Not wanting to schlep my big suitcase for a short trip, I found that the hotel in Evanston had a reasonably secure check room where it stayed until I got back. They had official baggage tags, and it was either free or a few dollars, plus a tip for the staff person who retrieved it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0425 seconds