Home Open Account Help 290 users online

Passenger Trains > Bart service to SFO - a success?

Date: 04/16/14 03:51
Bart service to SFO - a success?
Author: DFWJIM

Hello,

I was just reading an earlier post about the new Bart line to Oakland International that is scheduled to open this fall. On the other side of the Bay has Bart's extension to SFO that opened in 2003 been considered a success in terms of ridership and usage?

Thanks for your responses.

Date: 04/16/14 05:58
Re: Bart service to SFO - a success?
Author: Lackawanna484

I've used it a few times as a passenger. Comfortable, reasonably fast, esp in rush hours.

On my trips, there's a mix of airport employees and what look like passengers.

Date: 04/16/14 06:41
Author: RichM

I agree. Used BART several times in and out of the Walnut Creek area. Convenient, relatively simple... transfer to the airport shuttle system a little awkward with a lot of luggage but no worse than anyplace else in the world.
The BART connection really reduces if not eliminates the need to rent a car if your business is along the east bay routes.

Date: 04/16/14 07:59
Author: coach

SFO ridership continues to grow every year. Very easy to exit BART, and just ride the escalator or elevator 1 level up to the people mover shuttle train. Simple. Some people seem to want personal limo service every step along the way, but I'll never understand that.

All the NIMBY's who didn't want BART's SFO extension to happen are short sighted, self-centered folks who failed to see the regional benefits. Thank goodness they were defeated. BART to SFO is a god send during rush hour traffic. It's the only way I go to SFO now.

Date: 04/16/14 08:02
Author: Torisgod

I have a non-railfan friend who lives up near Donner Pass. He works at a computer company in Auburn (go figure!) and so travels on business a lot. There being no airports in Gold Country, whenever he needs to fly somewhere, he drives to the Walnut Creek park-and-ride and takes the BART from there to SFO.

Tor in Eugene

Date: 04/16/14 11:41
Author: MarinCommuter

DFWJIM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello,
>
> I was just reading an earlier post about the new
> Bart line to Oakland International that is
> scheduled to open this fall. On the other side of
> the Bay has Bart's extension to SFO that opened in
> 2003 been considered a success in terms of
> ridership and usage?
>
> Thanks for your responses.

The BART Oakland Airport connector, which should begin service in a couple of months, is actually an automated, driverless elevated tram, similar to what many airports have installed to move passengers between terminals. It will replace "AirBART" bus service which had to compete with clogged street traffic and red signal delays on its runs between the airport and the Oakland Coliseum BART station.
Fares should be about the same -- around $5 for each one-way trip.

Date: 04/16/14 13:59

MarinCommuter Wrote:
> DFWJIM Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Hello,
> >
> > I was just reading an earlier post about the
> new
> > Bart line to Oakland International that is
> > scheduled to open this fall. On the other side
> of
> > the Bay has Bart's extension to SFO that opened
> in
> > 2003 been considered a success in terms of
> > ridership and usage?
> >
> > Thanks for your responses.
>
> The BART Oakland Airport connector, which should
> begin service in a couple of months, is actually
> an automated, driverless elevated tram, similar to
> what many airports have installed to move
> passengers between terminals. It will replace
> "AirBART" bus service which had to compete with
> clogged street traffic and red signal delays on
> its runs between the airport and the Oakland
> Coliseum BART station.
> Fares should be about the same -- around $5 for
> each one-way trip.

In this regard, BART blew it. If I get on BART in the East Bay for SFO, it's about $10 each way. That's a deal, compared to gas, bridge tolls and parking.

But if I want to go to OAK, the BART fare will be around $4, plus $5 EACH WAY on their new people mover. That's expensive. I wish it was just included in your BART fare, like it is when you go to SFO.

The BART AirBus was cheaper, and reliable. The people mover will be better during high traffic periods and gridlock, but otherwise, the bus was fine. Oakland Airport is losing ridership as more and more airlines consolidate at the big hubs.

Date: 04/16/14 15:31
Author: atsf121

I fly to Oakland instead of SFO because SFO can get gummed up with fog or weather. And I go to Oakland more now than SF. But $5 for the new people mover is ridiculous.

Nathan

Date: 04/16/14 17:35
Author: sgerken

coach Wrote:

> The BART AirBus was cheaper, and reliable. The
> people mover will be better during high traffic
> periods and gridlock, but otherwise, the bus was
> fine. Oakland Airport is losing ridership as more
> and more airlines consolidate at the big hubs.

What gridlock? I Live in the South Bay and use to work for a company on the northern border of the OAK airport. For two years I commuted on the Amtrak Capitol and used the Coliseum Station. From the BART Coliseum station (short block from the Amtrak Station) I would take a shuttle to work. The Shuttle would follow the basic route of the new people mover to almost the airport terminals. Instead of going to the actual terminals, the shuttle would take the road that goes between the old and new sections of the airport to the business park on the north edge of the airport. There was never any major traffic. let alone gridlock. The only reason the people might be a little faster is that it is above the road and doesn't have to stop at the stoplights.

I just was thinking. The only time there might be potential gridlock is when a large event is letting out of the coliseum. I've taken the shuttle a couple of hours before a Raiders Thursday night game and there was never gridlock then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/14 17:53 by sgerken.

Date: 04/16/14 21:10
Author: goduckies

i plan on using this connection in a few months and wish the Oakland one was up in running for next week. Oh well...

Date: 04/16/14 21:29
Author: SN711

The Oakland Airport connection will eliviate having to walk through all of the I desirables that hang out at the AirBART bus stop. This will put a pretty big dent in their panhandling business.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/16/14 21:35

I've seen bumper to bumper traffic backed up at the airport a mile from the terminal, but only on big travel days. With the decline in OAK flying ridership, this may become less of a problem.

Date: 04/16/14 21:50
Author: CPRR

I just wish the idiots here in LA had extended the Green line into the airport.....

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/17/14 00:55
Author: stash

You hit the nail on the head Gary.

SN711 Wrote:
> The Oakland Airport connection will eliviate
> having to walk through all of the I desirables
> that hang out at the AirBART bus stop. This will
> put a pretty big dent in their panhandling
> business.
>
> Gary
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/17/14 16:21
Author: mcdeo

I like that I don't need a car for a quick business trip in SFO. The BART connection to SFO certainly helps.

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0679 seconds