Home Open Account Help 381 users online

Passenger Trains > San Joaquin Cab Cars?

Date: 04/17/14 13:28
San Joaquin Cab Cars?
Author: railwaybaron

Now that the CalTrain painted cab car in on the rip track in OAK, does anyone know what is being used as a cab car on San Joaquin's 714/715 and their Comet Cars? Thanks in advance!

Date: 04/17/14 13:47
Re: San Joaquin Cab Cars?
Author: bwyrick

They have 2 other NPCUs painted in the same scheme. I'd imagine they'd just put one of those on the set.

Date: 04/17/14 15:22
Author: OTG

I'd imagine that the two remaining NPCUs are in service on the two trainsets, and when/if one needs to get pulled for PM or DM then they'll just replace it with a locomotive and baggage car until it's back in service.

Date: 04/17/14 20:15
Author: Evan_Werkema

For what it's worth, I've been seeing the Comet cars mostly on 711/718. Here's 711 of April 3 and 718 of April 12, both with cabbage 90218 on the east end:

Date: 04/17/14 20:27
Author: roadman3313

Generally they just pop the locomotive on to the Comet Car. No Baggage car needed as a buffer :)

Date: 04/17/14 21:05
Author: espee51

This morning's 711 had California Cars...

Date: 04/17/14 21:53
Author: rickycourtney

Evan_Werkema Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For what it's worth, I've been seeing the Comet
> cars mostly on 711/718. Here's 711 of April 3 and
> 718 of April 12, both with cabbage 90218 on the
> east end:
Apparently (for reasons unsaid) now that there's enough cars for a second Comet car trainset, both trainsets are now used on the 714/703/702/715 turn.

Here's the thread where it's been discussed: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?4,3381087

It'll be interesting to see what happens when one of those NPCU's go down. I imagine that they'd just put a locomotive on both ends of the train... But I'm not sure how they'd handle checked luggage and bikes. I didn't think that Oakland had a spare baggage car sitting around. (But I could be wrong.)

Any word on how 20225 will be repaired? Is it gonna be fixed in Oakland or sent back to Beech Grove soon?

Posted from iPhone

Ricky Courtney
Seattle, WA

Date: 04/18/14 00:20
Author: coach

It must odd running a train in a NPCU. Probably a very quiet cab ride. Smoother without the weight of the prime mover, too?

Date: 04/18/14 07:49
Author: calzephyr48

They are ballasted to approximate their weight as a locomotive.

Date: 04/18/14 08:34
Author: PHall

coach Wrote:
> It must odd running a train in a NPCU. Probably a
> very quiet cab ride. Smoother without the weight
> of the prime mover, too?

Probably about the same as running a train from a Cab Car minus the railfans trying to look out the front windows.

Date: 04/18/14 08:49
Author: NebraskaZephyr

PHall Wrote:
> Probably about the same as running a train from a
> Cab Car minus the railfans trying to look out the
> front windows.

Actually, Pete, the NPCUs I rode out of Chicago were pretty rough riders, even worse than when they had prime movers.

The 90229 (with the Oklahoma graphics) was a notoriously bad actor, with a VERY spongy suspension, like a car that needs new shocks.

They ARE quieter than a F40 pounding away at 900 RPM, all the better to hear the air whistling through all the nooks and crannies in the cab.

I hope for the crew's sake the rebuilt NPCUs assigned to Oakland had these issues addressed and are being properly cared for.

NZ

Date: 04/18/14 10:08
Author: ThumbsUp

NebraskaZephyr Wrote:
> I hope for the crew's sake the rebuilt NPCUs
> assigned to Oakland had these issues addressed and
> are being properly cared for.
>
> NZ

Hahahahahahaha! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0568 seconds