Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Passenger Trains > Taxis at Emeryville

Date: 04/22/14 20:13
Taxis at Emeryville
Author: fulham

My son will be traveling from Seattle on the Coast Starlight, arriving in Emeryville Saturday morning 5/17. He needs to get a cab to San Francisco airport. Is it better to take the bus over to downtown San Fran, or just get a cab direct from Emeryville? I am assuming there are plenty of cabs at Emeryville.

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

Date: 04/22/14 20:28
Re: Taxis at Emeryville
Author: chakk

fulham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My son will be traveling from Seattle on the Coast
> Starlight, arriving in Emeryville Saturday morning
> 5/17. He needs to get a cab to San Francisco
> airport. Is it better to take the bus over to
> downtown San Fran, or just get a cab direct from
> Emeryville? I am assuming there are plenty of
> cabs at Emeryville.
>
> Any information would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Plenty of taxis at the Emeryville station, but quite expensive to take one from there to San Francisco airport.

If he is not in a big rush, then I would take the connecting Amtrak bus to the San Francisco Ferry bldg, then walk two blocks up Market Street to the Embarcadero BART station and take BART directly to the airport.

Total travel time from Emeryville Amtrak to SFO airport should be about an hour, or just slightly longer.

Date: 04/22/14 20:51
Author: F40PHR231

Definitely the Thruway bus from EMY to Ferry Bldg. and BART to SFO. The Starlight arrives at 8:15, so the next couple buses are scheduled to depart at 9:20 and 10:50, arriving to Ferry Bldg. at 9:50 and 11:15 respectively, with more throughout the day in case the train is late. Be sure to have the bus to Ferry Bldg. segment added to the Starlight ticket.

BART to SFO operates every 20 minutes during Saturday morning, and he'll want to catch a Millbrae-bound train at Embarcadero station. If he's pressed on time, there's plenty of taxi options around the Ferry Bldg. area, and will be much cheaper than taking a taxi across the bay.

(removed as the California Zephyr is the only LD train stopping in RIC per Mundo's post)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/14 21:00 by F40PHR231.

Date: 04/22/14 20:57
Author: mundo

Starlight no longer stops at Richmond.

Date: 04/22/14 21:53
Author: amtrakin

As others have said, have him take the Amtrak Thruway bus to SF Amtrak bus stop at the Ferry Building. Walk 2 blocks to BART. Then, BART to SF Airport. The BART fare will be $8.65. Destination sign will display, "SFO/AIRPORT, MILLBRAE". Airport trains arrive at Embarcadero at :12, :32, and :52 past the hour. It's a 33 minute ride from Embarcadero to SF Airport.

Date: 04/22/14 22:07
Author: srlawton

Make him buy you some nice cheese from Cowgirl Creamery at the Ferry Building.

Date: 04/23/14 08:01
Author: Torisgod

mundo Wrote:
> Starlight no longer stops at Richmond.

Has it ever? I remember taking the Starlight in 2008 and we blew right past Richmond. Was it ever a "flag stop"?

Tor in Eugene

Date: 04/23/14 09:02
Author: Technology-Jeske

Torisgod Wrote:
> mundo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Starlight no longer stops at Richmond.
>
> Has it ever? I remember taking the Starlight in
> 2008 and we blew right past Richmond. Was it ever
> a "flag stop"?
>
> Tor in Eugene

The Coast Starlight no longer stops at Richmond effective January 14, 2013.

Date: 04/23/14 10:22
Author: wa4umr

If you want to go from the Emeryville Amtrak station to the SFO airport, there is another option that might be faster. There is a free shuttle that goes past the Emeryville station and takes you to the MacArthur BART Station. Looking at the BART system map it seems you can go from that station directly to SFO. The Emery-go-round shuttles are clean and run about every half hour. They take you directly to the front of the BART station.

I'm not exactly sure where the stop is near the Amtrak station because I stayed at a hotel a block and a half away and I caught it across the street from the hotel.

Here's a few links to those services.

http://www.emerygoround.com/schedule-maps

http://www.bart.gov/

Just some suggestions from an occasional tourist in the area.

John

Date: 04/23/14 13:16
Author: TrainRidingGal

Have tried all the various ways from EMY to the Peninsula and the fastest is to take a taxi from the station to the MacArthur BART station and get on BART there for SFO.

The bus can get stuck in Bridge traffic or street traffic. Plenty of taxis at the station and they know the drill.

Also, FYI... if your son has his plans change and he arrives on Sunday, May 18th to EMY instead, then most definitely do the above. May 18th is Bay to Breakers and everything will be messed up street side downtown that morning till at least noontime.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0611 seconds