Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 06/15/14 23:24
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/15/20 19:59 by F40PHR231.

Date: 06/15/14 23:49
Re: California Zephyr trip report
Author: IC_2024

Great series, Chris... wonderful photos... Why in the world would it take so long to set out that PV at Denver?!? Are they using the old (temporary) station track as a set-out spur?
At any rate, an hour w/ out H.E.P., back and forth at most likely 2mph (typical Am-scared switching speed) would drive even the most patient person nuts.
I'm old enough to remember when the UP could switch out the many sections of the "City" Streamliners in Ogden and do it fasssst!! Check out Fraileys book on that for proof!

Date: 06/16/14 05:49
Author: richs

Outstanding report...can't wait for the next segment.
RichS

Date: 06/16/14 06:01
Author: JaxAmtrak7

Great pics!! Been that route several times....always beautiful scenery!!!

Date: 06/16/14 06:14
Author: DavidMKetchum

Great pictures! A WET winter has lead to a GREEN spring and, hopefully, a somewhat green summer. Cannot wait to see more.

Date: 06/16/14 08:52
Author: inCHI

I think that is the best series of pictures I've ever seen of that amazing section of the route. Nicely done.

Date: 06/16/14 09:16
Author: mcdeo

Thanks for the great pics. They are currently adding a sleeper from Denver to Chicago. I think it is a normal summer thing lately.

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 06/16/14 10:41
Author: bmarti7

Great pics! Gore Canyon is still my favorite of the Colorado canyons. Too bad someone didn't think of grades and the extra weight of the dead locos and PV. A third unit on line would have helped timekeeping. We rode a heavyweight PV on #3 in 1995. We stalled on Raton Pass. We backed-down to Trinidad on put a ATSF helper (from the then-still-running York Canyon coal trains)on the nose. thoughThat got us to Raton where we dropped the unit. We then stalled again on Glorietta Pass. We sat there for 2 hours until a warbonnet fro ABQ rescued us. That freight unit stayed on the headend all the way to LA.

One good thing - afternoon running of the LA basin with lots of fans and photos between San Berdo and Fullerton. We were movie stars on the rear platform of the Ohio River that day. Thanks again for the excellent photo essay.

Date: 06/16/14 17:38
Author: bobk

Awesome shots!!!

Date: 06/16/14 22:35
Author: domefoamer

That's simply remarkable photography from a moving train! Either you opened the door window, and often, or you must have been in the private car, right?

Date: 06/17/14 03:36
Author: Narr8rdanny

Outstanding! Very interesting.
Thanks for sharing.

Danny Harmon
Tampa

Date: 06/17/14 15:31
Author: ProAmtrak

Great pics Chris, can't wait for the other segments of your trip!

Date: 06/18/14 20:46
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Those are super photos, Chris! VERY pretty! I agree --
these are the best photos I have seen so far of this part
of the CZ run. Outstanding!! (Really makes me want to
go back to Utah and Colorado and again experience those
wonderful wide-open and very scenic places.)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0478 seconds