Home Open Account Help 368 users online

Passenger Trains > Sierra Genset Leads the River Train

Date: 07/21/14 21:13
Sierra Genset Leads the River Train
Author: shed47

Sierra Northern on its Woodland, CA branch has been originating more of their passenger excursion runs from West Sacramento resulting in an increase in the number of non-revenue deadhead moves of the Sacramento River Train equipment between West Sac and Woodland. This afternoon West Sacramento-based genset SERA133 picked up GP7 134 and the passenger consist off the siding at Lovdal(m.p. 2.7) and moved them west to Woodland. Sierra Northern tends to use their older geeps on the passenger trains with the use of the genset on varnish rare. A look at some upcoming runs:
http://www.sacramentorivertrain.com/

Today's deadhead run is seen in the first two photos wobbling its way west crossing the (bone dry) Yolo By-Pass on the 8000' long Elkhorn Trestle. The trestle was constructed in 1912 by the Northern Electric and was built with every tenth tie being 10' long to support 600 volt d.c. third rail. That electrification was abandoned in 1947 when Sacramento Northern dieselized the line. Third photo shows the train crossing the bridge over the narrow channel of water at the east bank of the bypass.

Date: 07/21/14 21:15
Re: Sierra Genset Leads the River Train

Today's run is seen in two views moving west at Haviland(m.p. 8.9). Next shot has the train making another dramatic crossing of very dry ground: The Sacramento By-Pass at approx. m.p. 3.5.

Date: 07/21/14 21:17

Two more shots of the train creaking its way over the trestle at a blazing 10 m.p.h. The final view of today's train proves that Sierra Northern does earn some revenue from freight as well as passenger operations on its former Yolo Shortline as they roll through Woodland's industrial east side.

Date: 07/21/14 21:18

Two views of the 133 switching at West Sacramento back in December 2012. The Railpower model RP20BD was home assembled at the Sierra's Oakdale shops and built on the frame of Yolo GP9 133.

Date: 07/21/14 21:31
Author: photobob

Nice coverage. Really nice photos of that move.

Date: 07/21/14 21:42
Author: Amtrakdavis22

Awesome shots! That line is fun to shoot. Thanks for sharing.

Jake Miille
Chico, CA
Jake Miille Photography

Date: 07/21/14 22:05
Author: RyanWilkerson

While driving up I-5 last Thursday, I noticed the River Train consist on the long trestle with a locomotive on each end. I hadn't seen that before but couldn't stop for a photo.
Thanks for the info on the #133, I didn't know how it was built.

I just searched through my photos and found these:
#133 gold & blue in 2006: http://shastarails.com/photos/pv.asp?pid=6340
#133 in SSW scarlet & grey in 2005: http://shastarails.com/photos/pv.asp?pid=5477

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 07/21/14 22:19
Author: gyralite

Glad to hear they are still operating but I must say, it certainly doesn't have the charm of Sierra #3 and open gondola tourist cars.

Date: 07/21/14 22:28
Author: Chooch

Very, very nice. Thank you.

Jim

Date: 07/21/14 22:31
Author: coach

Pacific Coast Producers, a private label cannery / packing company, bought the old CONTADINA tomato plant in Woodland, invested lots of money into it, and that helped keep this RR alive. PCP ships tomato paste and products throughout the nation, so it's good business.

Date: 07/21/14 22:52
Author: CrudPunko

I love that the Sierra Northern is FINALLY applying a uniform paint scheme to their varied locomotive fleet. Plus, I love the bumblebee scheme - it even makes their Gensets look great! Now if they could just start repainting their River Train car out of that gawd-awful paint job they have now. Great photos by the way.

Date: 07/21/14 23:59
Author: zephyrus

Neat set of pics. IIRC, the Yolo / SierraN only has 2 or 3 customers left in Woodland. Is that accurate? Most of their traffic is Port of Sacramento, I believe.

Z

Date: 07/22/14 01:01
Author: mp51w

Is that a former SP/Transico Tours bi-level car?

Date: 07/22/14 18:03
Author: weather

Nice shoots and good coverage, Many thanks!

Date: 07/23/14 05:58
Author: jberlin

Nice photos! Any close ups of the passenger cars?

Date: 08/03/14 09:38
Author: YSLR131

That is an ex-SP Gallery Coach. Not sure of the number or history. I have many shots of SERA on my flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bloodonfire3/sets.

Stephen Hjellum
Woodland, AL
Virtual CRCP Railway.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds