Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Passenger Trains > .

Date: 07/22/14 01:35
Author: F40PHR231

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/21 09:37 by F40PHR231.

Date: 07/22/14 03:17
Re: A view I will miss when route shifts from Puget Sou
Author: SDP40F600

Nice photo. Yes, some passengers are going to miss that view.

Date: 07/22/14 05:48
Author: andersonb109

When is the change taking place?

Date: 07/22/14 06:21
Author: czephyr17

2017 if everything goes to plan.

Date: 07/22/14 06:57
Author: stone23

That view reminds me of my view of that area back in WWII. The big excitement to see at that time was the remains of the Tacoma Narrows bridge dangling in the Puget Sound.

Great picture!!

Date: 07/22/14 07:21
Author: cutboy2

Picture says it all!!

Date: 07/22/14 08:33
Author: moonliter

Why the change? Other than mud slides and forest fires we do not get much news from the Pacific Northwest here in eastern Canada. I checked out the map and saw the line along the water. Is the Lakewood line the track that runs parallel to I5? Lovely photo Chris, as always.

I have ridden the Coast Starlight along the shore...will it also move to the Lakewood line?

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 07/22/14 09:41
Author: GenePoon

moonliter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why the change?

==============================

Saves a few minutes...

Date: 07/22/14 09:56
Author: SN711

And gets the passenger trains off of the congested freight route.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/22/14 12:45
Author: Out_Of_Service

the congestion for the route gets constricted due the single tracking through the tunnels at Point Defiance ... the Lakewood route allows for much fluidity through the Tacoma Terminal area altho the single tracking through Tacoma via the former NP Prairie Line and Milw logging branch through Tacoma also presents some fluidity challenges ... will any stations along the Lakewood be Amtrak stops ... if not i can still see some Amtrak trains going the Point Defiance route just for the reasons i stated above ...

here's a sat image of the BNSF main with transition from double to single track:

https://goo.gl/maps/KdxAy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/14 12:47 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 07/22/14 14:01
Author: ProAmtrak

That's a beautiful pic, wonder why 14 and 11 won't be on the new line!

Date: 07/22/14 14:22
Author: jmonier

ProAmtrak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That's a beautiful pic, wonder why 14 and 11 won't
> be on the new line!

I think that the problem is that the new line bypasses the present Tacoma Amtrak station for a new station at Freighthouse Square. I doubt that Amtrak would keep the old station for just 11 and 14. It would certainly be a shame for 11 and 14 to miss the great views of the Point Defiance line, however.

Date: 07/22/14 15:29
Author: railwaybaron

I finally talked my doctor into taking the train in the Seattle area--now he never stops talking about the views of Puget Sound. Sad news about the new route. People with "options" don't care about a few moments gained by a new route, if the view is sacrificed.

Date: 07/23/14 12:37
Author: PumpkinHogger

Well this a first, people kvetching about a reliability and time improvement along with a new Tacoma station. You'd rather have 20 miles of water views and freight delays instead? Give your head a shake ...

Date: 07/23/14 13:21
Author: a737flyer

There was a report that the Coast Starlight will continue to use the Point Line (along the water,) but the station situation mentioned above may not work. Will the stations along the Prairie Line through Lakewood be served by Amtrak? There is currently no plan for that to happen. There was a window of opportunity for the City of Lakewood and other interested parties to get service for Lakewood and possibly Tillicum and Dupont, but that opportunity was squandered by politics and nay-sayers...

There were a number of nay-sayers that insisted the, "...nasty trains were going to run down poor innocent women and children...". Lakewood and other NIMBYarists squandered all their clout on that silly argument rather than getting the railroad to make a couple of stops and fix the grade crossings in a way that the "...innocent women and children..." won't get run down by the nasty trains.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0518 seconds