Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Passenger Trains > Caltrain-VTA Battle Plan for 49ers Games

Date: 07/25/14 13:40
Caltrain-VTA Battle Plan for 49ers Games
Author: shed47

Following the lead of other Bay Area rail operators Caltrain has announced its plans for moving fans to the new 49ers Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara. Caltrain doesn't serve the stadium directly but will promote the connection to the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority's light rail line at Mountain View for the final leg to the venue.

Two southbound extras will operate out of San Francisco before each game with two returning north post game. VTA will be inserting numerous extras on their Mountain View-Winchester line to supplement the regular 30 minute weekend frequency. A joint Caltrain-VTA Day Pass is being heavily promoted to streamline the ticket purchase process. The first day for these new initiatives is Aug. 2 for a San Jose-Seattle MLS match.
http://www.caltrain.com/about/news/Caltrain-All-Set-To-Kick-Off-Levis-Stadium-Service.html

Three views taken this morning in Mountain View give an idea of the quick connection between Caltrain and VTA at this location.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/14 13:57 by shed47.

Date: 07/25/14 13:42
Re: Caltrain-VTA Battle Plan for 49ers Games

The VTA line is single track between the Mountain View and Whisman stations which does create an operational bottleneck when trains fall behind schedule disrupting meets. The planning process is underway to address this:
http://www.vta.org/Projects-and-Programs/Transit/light-rail-efficiency/mountain-view-double-track

A southbound light rail train is seen leaving Mountain View along the single track and a little further south another train makes its way on to the double track. Caltrain riders will be making a circuitous 25 minute journey on VTA through several high tech employment centers(and past Moffett Field) before reaching Great America and Levi's Stadium.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/14 13:53 by shed47.

Date: 07/25/14 13:43

As reported earlier here on TO Altamont Corridor Express will be running a Stockton to Great America extra for each game and Amtrak's Capitol Corridor has modified its weekend schedule to better serve fans attending the games.

Date: 07/25/14 21:55
Author: CarolVoss

Without knowing what I am talking about other than VTA is involved and Caltrain and VTA don't normally talk to one another, I predict a major major cluster etc!! Let's see. I hope I am wrong. Hundreds of people arriveing at various stations expecting transport from one place to another and etc. jeez. as I said, I hope I am wrong.
C.

Carol Voss
Bakersfield, CA

Date: 07/25/14 22:58
Author: GP25

CarolVoss Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Without knowing what I am talking about other than
> VTA is involved and Caltrain and VTA don't
> normally talk to one another, I predict a major
> major cluster etc!! Let's see. I hope I am wrong.
> Hundreds of people arriveing at various stations
> expecting transport from one place to another and
> etc. jeez. as I said, I hope I am wrong.
> C.

I could see that happening. Many of these Transit Agencies.
Really do not like to talk to each other. We have this problem
here in Los Angeles with LADOT, LA- Metro and even with Metrolink.

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 07/26/14 01:23
Author: coach

Bring back the SP Octopus! Catch a red trolley, then a ferry, then a steam train to your destination! All coordinated due to 1 owner supervising the entire system.

Date: 07/26/14 04:19
Author: DNRY122

Yep, that Mountain View line does take the "long way around Robin Hood's barn" as the old timers used to say. Part of the problem with VTA and other transit agencies, districts, authorities, etc. seems to be that most transit planners and managers rarely, if ever ride their own trains. Same goes for politicians that oversee the entities and the money bags. A lot of them show up for ground breakings and ribbon cuttings, then hop into their government furnished cars or SUVs (and in some cases get driven by assigned police personnel) and never see the inside of a train, and heaven forbid that they should ride a bus with the common people.

Date: 07/26/14 05:38
Author: navy5717th

As the "Boss" told Luke in the classic movie, "Cool Hand Luke": "What we have heah, is failure to communicate."

That is about as rock bottom a statement as there ever has been to describe the source of all of our problems.

Fritz in HSV, AL

Date: 07/26/14 09:24
Author: PasadenaSub

It might be more expensive and less frequent, but it seems that those coming to the games from SF would have a quicker trip by taking Caltrain to Santa Clara and then catching an Amtrak Capitol north one stop up to Great America (GAC) - and make the short walk to the stadium.

Date: 07/26/14 13:46
Author: LX15840

The VTA looks like something you would see at a Lego convention. The "X" crossover is definitely non-camp. As far as the folks that decide things at the pro sport/public transportation level, GREED is the operative word, and they do live in a different world than most of the fans/patrons. For example, here in Indy the cheerleaders for the Colts and Pacers get about $35 per game, and pay most of their own expenses. Many of the concession workers work for FREE, the charities they represent get a cut of the proceeds. Also, Indy has NO rail oriented transportation options, save for one Amtrak train a day.

Date: 07/26/14 16:50
Author: ProAmtrak

Glad they're trying to get this worked out instead of doing something at the last minute, if, and it's a big IF, I make it there to watch my Redskins play the 9Rs, I'll be happy to get there by transit!

Date: 07/27/14 07:53
Author: sphogger

"The concessions price increase comes after large ticket cost hikes. Overall, the cost for two face-value nosebleed seats, a couple of beers and a pair of hot dogs at Levi's will cost $243, up from $88.50 at Candlestick."

http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfootball/ci_26216491/49ers-unveil-pricey-levis-stadium-food-and-drink

Train/transit tickets extra.

sphogger

Date: 07/27/14 19:20
Author: chakk

sphogger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "The concessions price increase comes after large
> ticket cost hikes. Overall, the cost for two
> face-value nosebleed seats, a couple of beers and
> a pair of hot dogs at Levi's will cost $243, up
> from $88.50 at Candlestick."
>
> http://www.mercurynews.com/southbayfootball/ci_262
> 16491/49ers-unveil-pricey-levis-stadium-food-and-d
> rink
>
> Train/transit tickets extra.
>
> sphogger

And yet the 49ers will still sell out all of their games.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0808 seconds