Home Open Account Help 214 users online

Passenger Trains > Displaced Kansas in Germany Part 3

Date: 07/30/14 12:49
Displaced Kansas in Germany Part 3
Author: glcaddis

Today I returned to the Berlin area from Usedom. The journey was the reverse of getting there via RE 5 to Straslund and UBB to Heringsdorf on the island of Usedom. We left on the UBB which is two cab cars spliced and articulated with the prime mover which has an aisle way through it connecting the two cab/passenger units. Most trains have two of these units coupled together and controlled from the leading cab.

1. The front end
2. The power unit
3. The trailing cab unit

I think these are a well-thought out design to accommodate the sharp curves and tight clearances on this unique railroad to the sea.

Date: 07/30/14 12:54
Re: Displaced Kansas in Germany Part 3

#4 is a shot of what the new units replaced. It looks to me the old units were the length of one part of the new.

#5 is a shot of a beverage container sitting on top of a waste receptacle. I dare you to try this on any American train. I rode there steady as a rock for over 100 kilometers

Date: 07/30/14 13:43
Author: twin_star_rocket

DB 795 493-6, Baumholder, Nov 24, 1979. Similar to the one you posted, but 30 years ago.

Brian Ehni

Date: 07/30/14 14:17

My final segment of the this trip report includes two videos taken today from the RE5 running at 150 KPH or 92 MPH. If you turn the volume up, you'll hear what I heard, very little, and you'll see how smooth the handheld iPhone video is. The second is the key to the RE trains success, rapid acceleration. This video was taken beginning when the train left the station and ends 1:28 later as the train reaches its cruising speed. RE trains are not HST in the typical sense, but they put our attempts to shame. If someone can explain the unusual video effects of the ties moving by, please do so.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 07/30/14 17:57
Author: MEKoch

Those old rail busses were a treat to ride on branch lines. The driver up front had the engine up front beside him. As the vehicle acclerated, he would shift gears, much like a bus or truck. You boarded in the front; he collected your fare; and exited by rear door.

Date: 07/30/14 18:12
Author: kd0r

The ties seeming to move forward, backward and hold still is a function of the frame rate of the recording camera and the tie spacing. You'll see the same effect in movies that show a propeller aircraft starting and coming up to speed.

David

Date: 07/31/14 01:08

It still seems like they shift gears. Especially starting, I could feel the driver letting out the clutch to engage the gears.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0449 seconds