Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Passenger Trains > Coach Check-in at LAUPT?

Date: 08/01/14 11:42
Coach Check-in at LAUPT?
Author: Technology-Jeske

Riding coach for the first time ever, many many miles in sleeper on Long Distance.

How does Union Station treat Coach Passengers? Can I proceed to the track without a proper "check in" and choose whichever coach I wish?

Or do I need to participate in some sort of protocol and be assigned to a certain coach car?

Taking #4 out today.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/14 11:47 by Technology-Jeske.

Date: 08/01/14 12:30
Re: Coach Check-in at LAUPT?
Author: SDGreg

When I last took train 4 in November 2009, there was coach check-in prior to boarding in which you were given a coach and seat assignment. It was located in the area just before the hallway to the gates from the main terminal. I don't know if there've been any changes since that time.

Date: 08/01/14 15:07
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

Pick a seat that provides a view of the center hallway that leads to the tunnel. Amtrak staff will begin queuing up the podium and SWC signage for Coach check-in there. Once that activity is detected, some pax will begin lining up. I'd take the cue and get in line, as I've seen it snake back pretty far.

Have a great trip. It's a killer day for a train ride through the Cajon Pass and beyond. I can see some cumulonimbus clouds towering out by the mountains, so who knows, you may get some interesting weather this evening up there.

Date: 08/01/14 16:35
Author: stampedej

Simply put, yes you will need to check in at the Amtrak office located on the right at the east end of the waiting room. Present your ticket and you will be issued a seat assignment for a specific coach car. If you get lost, just ask for directions. Have a great trip!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/02/14 03:37
Author: andersonb109

I totally understand why you should be assigned a specific car based on your destination. But why on Earth can't you pick your own seat? All seats are not the same. Some have better alignment with windows. Some are over the wheels. Some next to the stairs etc. In Europe you can make seat reservations on many trains but they aren't necessary except during busy times with some exceptions. Otherwise, wait for the doors to open and pile on (just like Southwest Airlines). On a plane there normally isn't much to see. But looking out the window (at least before all the stupid electronic devices) was a major part of the train experience. But I guess not so much if your place next to the wall between two windows.

Date: 08/02/14 10:27
Author: PHall

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I totally understand why you should be assigned a
> specific car based on your destination. But why on
> Earth can't you pick your own seat? All seats are
> not the same. Some have better alignment with
> windows. Some are over the wheels. Some next to
> the stairs etc. In Europe you can make seat
> reservations on many trains but they aren't
> necessary except during busy times with some
> exceptions. Otherwise, wait for the doors to open
> and pile on (just like Southwest Airlines). On a
> plane there normally isn't much to see. But
> looking out the window (at least before all the
> stupid electronic devices) was a major part of the
> train experience. But I guess not so much if your
> place next to the wall between two windows.

One, this ain't Europe.
Two, they assign seats so they can seat people who are travelling together, together. And remember, they have to make sure there are seats for those getting on at stops down the line too.

You also have considerations like people who have trouble with the stairs and people in wheelchairs need to be seated downstairs.

Weather or not you get a window seat in the middle of the car with a totally unobstructed view is NOT their concern.
Getting paying passengers from point A to point B safely is their concern.

Date: 08/03/14 21:01
Author: zuchrew

The above comments apply to the "Chief" and the "Coast Starlight" ( and maybe the "Sunset"). The Surfliners require no checkin, yet. That doesn't mean Amtrak can't come up with a new procedure for those trains, too.

Roy Wojahn

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0629 seconds