Home Open Account Help 361 users online

Passenger Trains > Amtrak train 48 with Big Game 189 and 5 private cars

Date: 08/17/14 10:13
Amtrak train 48 with Big Game 189 and 5 private cars
Author: biff

Here's Amtrak 48 running a little over two and a half hours late, passing through CP 373 on the west side of Rochester NY at 1225 today. I had heard that the Big Game Train unit was leading the train but did not know about the five private cars at the back of the train. Unlike the luck I seem to have with many of the heritage or special paint units it was about 80% clouds but 20 seconds before the train came there was an opening that let the sun through.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/17/14 10:15
Re: Amtrak train 48 with Big Game 189 and 5 private ca
Author: NewRiverGeorge

Think this is another one of those TV specials for cable with a bunch of hippie rock stars on board, the "Millenium Train."

Date: 08/17/14 10:53
Author: floridajoe2001

I noticed the Boston sleeper is the 2nd car on the train; and a very long 7-car walk back to the diner.

Not very convenient for the folks paying a fortune to ride in this car--but I realize there's not much Amtrak can do about the Albany switching situation.

Joe

Date: 08/17/14 11:23
Author: NGotwalt

NewRiverGorge, you're really far off the mark. The Millenial (not MIllenium) Train Project is program created off ones done abroad. It is designed for Millenials (the generation that came of age in the 2000s) who want to expand their knowledge and network. The premise is simple, you present an idea for community out reach, for a business, for the development of a cultural institution, for education. The idea is presented on the MTP website, and your trip is crowd funded, i.e. other people pay your way based on the idea you have. I have copied and pasted their mission statement below:

THE MILLENNIAL TRAINS PROJECT (MTP) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that leads crowd-funded transcontinental train journeys that empower diverse groups of creative, entrepreneurial, and civic-minded Millennials to explore America's new frontiers.

Over the course of ten days, our journeys provide opportunities for personal development and shared discovery through on-train seminars led by distinguished mentors, workshops with local leaders, and participant-led projects in MTP communities.

OUR MISSION is to enable passengers and virtual audiences to identify, evaluate, and explore emerging opportunities and challenges in communities where our trains stop while advancing a project that benefits, serves, and inspires others.

There are no rock star hippies or reality tv stars on this train, nor are their tv cameras or corporate sponsors.

Cheers,
Nick

Date: 08/17/14 17:02
Author: Jishnu

floridajoe2001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I noticed the Boston sleeper is the 2nd car on the
> train; and a very long 7-car walk back to the
> diner.
>
> Not very convenient for the folks paying a fortune
> to ride in this car--but I realize there's not
> much Amtrak can do about the Albany switching
> situation.

Yeah. The Empire builder's Portland Sleeper is almost as bad, except that LSL usually has one more Coach than the EB has for the poor Boston Sleeper passengers to walk through to get to the Diner.

Date: 08/17/14 20:11
Author: Carondelet

Nick,

Thanks for clarifying. I really appreciate it.

Not all train related events are designed with rail fans in mind. Just because a person doesn't understand something, doesn't mean a TO user needs to demean it.

We should be thrilled that non rail fans are injecting money into PV owners and Amtrak/Class 1's pockets. The Station to Station train brought Amtrak over a half million in revenue.

Date: 08/18/14 09:05
Author: swirsk53

Was anyone able to get a list of the PV's on the train? I thought I recognized a few but couldn't be certain.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0631 seconds