Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Passenger Trains > Capitol Corrdor Carries 700 to 49'er Game/S. Clara

Date: 08/20/14 08:24
Capitol Corrdor Carries 700 to 49'er Game/S. Clara
Author: reindeerflame

Some 700 attendees at the recent 49'er exhibition game at Levi's Stadium in Santa Clara opted to take the Capitol Corridor to the nearby station (GAC). The accompanying story includes a photo.

http://www.capitolcorridor.org/blogs/get_on_board/fans-enjoy-traffic-less-ride-49ers-pre-season-opener/

Date: 08/20/14 09:01
Re: Capitol Corrdor Carries 700 to 49'er Game/S. Clara
Author: korotaj

How about VTA and Caltrain ridership to game?

Date: 08/20/14 09:51
Author: MojaveBill

Back in the early 20s my Mom attended Stanford and rode trains to Berkeley when the annual "Big Game" was held there at the University of California. SPT&HS Trainline had a piece on those trains some time ago...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 08/20/14 10:03
Author: John

The blog also has an embedded TV clip (end of second paragraph) that is very good. Congratulations, Capitol Corridor!

Date: 08/20/14 10:36
Author: reindeerflame

korotaj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How about VTA and Caltrain ridership to game?

That service is a bit cumbersome, requiring a transfer. VTA service generated a lot of complaints with the first event at Levi's stadium. There appeared to be fewer complaints with subsequent events.

Of course, the potential number of people using the Amtrak service will be smaller than VTA or Caltrain, but Amtrak has a good location, and for those who can use it, it should work really well.

Date: 08/20/14 10:40
Author: trainman630

I have to say that is one high level platform....

Date: 08/20/14 15:13
Author: amtrakin

Caltrain had a lot of fans transferring from BART at Millbrae. Platform 5 at Millbrae was a "Sea of Red" !

Date: 08/20/14 15:13
Author: xsphogger

Bet most of the train riders enjoyed the train ride more than the final score of the game!

Date: 08/20/14 16:02
Author: roadman3313

Indeed they probably did. Capitol Corridor expanded consist from 4-5 cars to 6 cars on selected trains to help accommodate the anticipated load. Glad to hear people took advantage of it! Now as for the game... at least it's still the pre-season...

Date: 08/21/14 16:21
Author: coach

By far, CC is the best way to get to the new stadium. It's direct, and affordable.

Plus, there is a new passenger parking garage right next door to the OAKLAND station (parking fee required), so beat the traffic and take the CC.

Date: 08/21/14 19:41
Author: CanyonTiger

korotaj Wrote:
> How about VTA and Caltrain ridership to game?

VTA and ACE Train all ran special service. VTA ran extra Light Rail trains and ran their express buses on "250" routes to and from various point in the South Bay. ACE Train ran a round trip special, I photographed the ACE Train arriving in Stockton with an eight-car, two-locomotive consist. It was packed to the gills. I'm not sure if Caltrain did anything special

Tiger

Date: 08/21/14 20:29
Author: symph1

Wouldn't it make sense for Caltrain to run a special train right to the stadium? I mean, if Amtrak can go there, Caltrain could. It would make it much more convenient for the folks from SF.

Was there protest from SF people when the new stadium location was announced?

Date: 08/22/14 11:41
Author: sactobob

symph1 Wrote:
> Wouldn't it make sense for Caltrain to run a
> special train right to the stadium? I mean, if
> Amtrak can go there, Caltrain could. It would make
> it much more convenient for the folks from SF.
>
That would mean doubling back north from Diridon Station on the single track line north toward Oakland, and that would cause a major conflict with the Capitol Corridor and ACE trains coming from the opposite direction.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds