Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Passenger Trains > Highway Stainless continued

Date: 08/21/14 19:12
Highway Stainless continued
Author: wpjones

Continuing the post from yesterday the two Stainless Budd cars left Fremont Ne. this morning right at 10:45. The cars are Pacific Rest a UP 10-6 sleeper now gutted and a SP Baggage Dorm. The 10-6 weighs 40,000lbs as is and the Bag Dorm is 60,000lbs. Total length of cars and tractors is 119ft.
The Bag Dorm has a longer wheel base which made the corners more of a challenge.
The route they took was 77 south out of Fremont, 109 to just north of Wahoo, 77/92 through Wahoo, 92 to 30 to 281 south to Grand Island. Lunch in GI then 80 to 76 to Denver then south and up and over LaVeta pass to Alamosa.
I followed through Wahoo then had to go work.
Steve

First two photos are entering Main st. in Fremont just south of the BNSF and UP
Third photo is Pacific Rest leaving Fremont heading across the new Platte river bridge

Date: 08/21/14 19:17
Re: Highway Stainless continued

fourth shot is of SP bag dorm Heading for the Platte river bridge south of Fremont
five and six are both rigs coming into Wahoo on 77/92

Date: 08/21/14 19:25

The last three are making the tight right hand corner on the south end of Wahoo onto hwy 92 which they will take to hwy 30 then to hwy 281 and south to Grand Island then 80 west.
Any photos west of here would be appreciated.
Steve

Date: 08/21/14 19:35
Author: The_Chief_Way

looks like the bag-dorm had been cornered

Date: 08/21/14 19:44

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> looks like the bag-dorm had been cornered

I'm not sure if its wreck damage or an opening was closed back up. The weird thing is the patch is carbon steel on a stainless car.
Steve

Date: 08/21/14 19:55

Here's photos of both rigs from the side ready to leave. It gives a pretty good idea just how long 119 ft is.
Steve

Date: 08/21/14 19:57
Author: EmpireBuilder

It was cornered on both ends while SP was still using it as a police car. The cover is where a window A/C unit was installed by SP.

Date: 08/21/14 20:15
Author: The_Chief_Way

are there plans for these cars when they get to Alamosa?

Date: 08/22/14 06:48
Author: mopac1978

Steve, I guess it would be horribly ironic if either of these rigs high-centered on a crossing....

Date: 08/22/14 15:16
Author: CP8888

Interesting they would take Hwy 77 to Wahoo
when they could have used US 30 and avoided
all the curves.

Reason is likely to avoid the traffic in Columbus.

Date: 08/22/14 15:38

CP8888 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting they would take Hwy 77 to Wahoo
> when they could have used US 30 and avoided
> all the curves.
>
> Reason is likely to avoid the traffic in
> Columbus.

Original plan was 77 to 80 but changed due to construction on 80 on west edge of Lincoln.
Steve

Date: 08/23/14 20:47
Author: dan

randy Deshler trucking? can't remember their name

Date: 08/23/14 23:39

S/D Enterprises Inc. Steve Disher out of Brighton CO.

Date: 08/24/14 00:06

could not remember his name for ...., thanks, you didn't take his marlboro car off his hands? looks like eee has got him running around!

his racing semi, did you check out those retired cabooses in guernsey a couple years ago ? sure you did, he may have hauled them at some point. Your caboose thread reminded me of all the BN mow pass cars you must have watched get torched, any comments on those.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/14 00:50 by dan.

Date: 08/24/14 07:59

I've always had a short list of cars I've wanted for my collection and most are premerger BN. The only thing outside of that was a Rio Grande 01400 series and it had to be a single stripe scheme car, I've got that in the 01483. Growing up here the BN used to run a nightly Fremont / Lincoln turn and it was a haven for premerger stuff and it was common to have a different caboose every day. Q streamlined NE-12, X-1 to X-30 GN, wide vision GN, NP, Q, narrow vision GN & NP,even an ocassional SP&S. Sometimes a car in original paint and all within 4 blocks of what is now my shop. I used to know everybody on the switch crew and just hung out around the cabooses. Some really great memories and fortunately pictures too. X-126 ( BN 10086 ) and 10293 are old friends and it's great to have them here. If only the local tourist railroad was still operating and friendly, these would have a place to run. Can't have it all I guess.

BN MOW Passenger Cars - what I wouldn't give to go back and save a couple. One in particular haunts me to this day. So many great cars gone.

Date: 08/24/14 09:27

BN If they sold you pass car sometimes would not move it, people had to renumber them to move them to get around that. Dave schumacher said he thought(the leaving of retired cars were they would be torched) was criminal, Amtrak did the sAME THINg in la

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/14 16:17 by dan.

Date: 08/24/14 09:47

They always moved my stuff without issue, cabooses, passenger cars and freight cars. One move under the BN number, but I was charged for the move. Equipment I bought from UP was delivered to my nearest connection as part of the deal under the UP number.

Date: 08/27/14 15:48
Author: xrds72

Arrived and put to bed in a corner at Alamosa

Date: 08/27/14 18:18

Sunset Coffee Shop Lounge loaded today, leaving tomorrow AM.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.072 seconds