Home Open Account Help 386 users online

Passenger Trains > San Diego Trolley Ridership Up 34%

Date: 08/22/14 20:53
San Diego Trolley Ridership Up 34%
Author: MartyBernard

"The San Diego Trolley, which began revenue service in 1981 as the first modern U.S. light rail transit operation, powered the ridership increase, carrying 39.7 million passengers, up 34% from FY13. The Blue Line, the oldest of four LRT routes MTS operates and linking downtown San Diego with San Ysidro, Calif. (and the U.S.-Mexican border), remains the busiest, but all lines gained ridership."

Full article here:

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/passenger/light-rail/san-diego-trolley-powers-mts-fy14-ridership.html

Marty Bernard

Date: 08/22/14 21:52
Re: San Diego Trolley Ridership Up 34%
Author: aronco

Read this carefully....Ridership increased 34.7% partly due to an improved system of counting riders. Hmmm........

Norm

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Date: 08/22/14 21:58
Author: PHall

Having ridden the San Diego Trolley a bunch of times, I don't think the ridership actually went up 34%.
I think they finally got some accurate numbers of what they're actually carrying!

Date: 08/22/14 22:42
Author: KA7008

Does it count "paid" fares? ...Or just how many they're carrying.

I would think counting paid tickets from the vending machines would tell you about the numbers that matter.

Date: 08/22/14 23:05
Author: aronco

Please don't think I am criticizing the San Diego trolley operation. Far from that, I see it as the most successful light rail operation in North America. It is very well run, and shows clear thinking about what the public needs and how to provide that service. It is also interesting that this operation started up without any federal funding - the original line was I believe strictly a city/county funded line.
What I do find amusing is that some local transit operations have difficulty meeting the state requirement that a minimum of 15% of the operating costs must come from the farebox. I know of two local operations who have transferred transit staffers to other city departments to squeak in under the 15% rule.

TIOGA PASS

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Date: 08/23/14 00:36
Author: rickycourtney

Another possible explanation for the increase in ridership... SDMTS's "Trolley Renewal" program seems to be winding down. The Orange Line has been fully refurbished and the refurbishment to the Blue Line will be completed by the end of the year. Ridership tends to fall during these kind of projects, as riders shift to other forms of transportation.

That being said, I'm pretty sure that this new method of counting probably accounts for most of the "increase."

Any increase is good (real or just in "accounting") more passengers means more money for expansion!

Ricky Courtney
Seattle, WA

Date: 08/23/14 10:08
Author: SDGreg

If the jam-packed buses that operate between Old Town and UCSD/UTC are any indication, I think the planned mid-coast trolley will be an instant success with ridership on par with the line to San Ysidro. Current estimates have that new line opening in 2019.

Date: 08/23/14 11:27
Author: warren49

I have only had the opportunity to use the San Diego trolley system once, from the train station to San Ysidro (and return), a few years ago. My opinion was, and still is, that it's too bad that every city doesn't have such a useful, easy to use, and comfortable public transit rail line. I spent a few days across the border having dental work performed and did all of my travel from the Fresno area via Amtrak and the trolley (plus one Tijuana taxi). It worked out great (and I highly recommend my dental office).

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0465 seconds