Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Passenger Trains > Illinois Governor's Race

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/28/14 19:33
Illinois Governor's Race
Author: fulham

I know the current IL governor, Pat Quinn is pro-rail and has done much to advance inter-city rail within the state. Does anyone know the attitude towards passenger rail by Quinn's opponent, Bruce Rauner? I have seen that the two are running close in the election, and with the large order of cars starting to be produced in Rochelle, would Rauner pull a Scott Walker and pull the plug on this project and maybe even cut back some of the state supported trains?

Date: 08/28/14 21:04
Re: Illinois Governor's Race
Author: illini73

Bruce Rauner has said very little (if anything) on this subject - he is campaigning on broader issues. If elected, he will likely take a pragmatic approach. Since the new passenger cars are being built in-state, it's unlikely he will cancel the program outright, though some of the "future" services may be at risk. Whoever wins the office will have to propose raising taxes and restraining some spending, so both candidates are being rather vague about the unpopular details of either (Quinn less vague - "tax the rich to fund our priorities"; Rauner more so).

Also, if the Democratic Party retains control of the U.S. Senate, the "godfather" of Illinois passenger rail, Senator and Assistant Majority Leader Dick Durbin (D-Springfield) will keep Illinois favored for rail grant/loan money flowing from Washington (plus any other states that want equipment built in Rochelle, perhaps). It will be hard for Bruce Rauner, if elected Governor, to turn down money that "creates jobs" when creating jobs was a major emphasis in his campaign.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/14 21:08 by illini73.

Date: 08/28/14 21:23
Author: ts1457

This is an old statement, but it is not too discouraging:

'Financier Bruce Rauner says the passenger rail system is part of a big, important picture. “To the degree we don't have the money to invest,” Rauner said, “we should form creative public-private partnerships to help finance investments in our infrastructure so it's world class.”'

source: http://altondailynews.com/news/details.cfm?id=111148#.U__87md0zcs

Date: 08/28/14 22:46
Author: chi-townadam

fulham Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I know the current IL governor, Pat Quinn is
> pro-rail and has done much to advance inter-city
> rail within the state. Does anyone know the
> attitude towards passenger rail by Quinn's
> opponent, Bruce Rauner? I have seen that the two
> are running close in the election, and with the
> large order of cars starting to be produced in
> Rochelle, would Rauner pull a Scott Walker and
> pull the plug on this project and maybe even cut
> back some of the state supported trains?

Don't forget that the liberal democrat controlled ICC nearly sunk US railroading in the 1970's, cut trackage down a third and thinned the numbers down to a handful of class ones. So I wouldn't trust the Democrat party with railroads anymore than I would trust my daughter around and 35 year old man with a white van with "free candy" painted on it.

Want some examples? PennCentral and Rock Island.

All in the name of forcing shipping on the then new highway system, more tolls means more money. Plus look at Amtrak, going on over 40 years of not turning a profit. Only the government can manage that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/14 22:50 by chi-townadam.

Date: 08/29/14 05:44
Author: joemvcnj

Hopefully he will simply focus on the mobility issues and in efficiently accessing Chicago, not make it a partisan topic. Dan Ryan Expressway is no fun coming from Springfield for either D's or R's, which is more than I can say for the "R" in NJ.

Date: 08/29/14 06:55
Author: Ptolemy

chi-townadam Wrote:

> Don't forget that the liberal democrat controlled
> ICC nearly sunk US railroading in the 1970's, cut
> trackage down a third and thinned the numbers down
> to a handful of class ones. So I wouldn't trust
> the Democrat party with railroads anymore than I
> would trust my daughter around and 35 year old man
> with a white van with "free candy" painted on it.
>
> Want some examples? PennCentral and Rock Island.
>
> All in the name of forcing shipping on the then
> new highway system, more tolls means more money.
> Plus look at Amtrak, going on over 40 years of not
> turning a profit. Only the government can manage
> that.

Even if what you say is true--which is pretty dubious--I don't see what this has to do with the Illinois governor's race. Can you document what you say?

Date: 08/29/14 07:10

I saw another statement, sorry I didn't save the link, where he said that he would reduce the state's airplane fleet. He would live in Springfield and travel to Chicago via car, airline, or train (didn't mention bus). Sounds like he is at least inclined to set foot on a train.

Date: 08/29/14 07:20
Author: Ptolemy

ts1457 Wrote:
> I saw another statement, sorry I didn't save the
> link, where he said that he would reduce the
> state's airplane fleet. He would live in
> Springfield and travel to Chicago via car,
> airline, or train (didn't mention bus). Sounds
> like he is at least inclined to set foot on a
> train.

At least he mentioned its existence, which is unusual.

Date: 08/29/14 07:23

Did Blago ever step foot on a Lincoln train, or that matter, the CTA Brown Line ?

Date: 08/29/14 07:32
Author: floridajoe2001

I think the proper way to view Illinois politics and it's effect on Amtrak, is to ask the question: "In whose pocket is Pat Quinn or Mr. Rauner in"?
In other words, who are the corporations and "friends" they want to favor.

Since this is hard to discover; the question I ask myself is: "who in the State of Illinois would NOT benefit from passenger rail; and who would like it stopped for whatever reason.

I can think of only two important corporations in Illinois NOT in favor of passenger rail: Southwest Airlines and Union Pacific Railroad.

Then, if you can find out what these two corporations each contributed to the Quinn or Rauner campaign; you will get some idea of what to expect from these politicians. Doesn't matter if they are "right or left": they're going to favor somebody--usually those who spent millions to get them elected. So, if Soutrhwest, for example, spent millions on Mr. Rauner but little on Mr. Quinn; chances are Rauner will be "less interested" in passenger rail.

Joe

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/14 07:42 by floridajoe2001.

Date: 08/29/14 07:51

It is getting very difficult to fly or take a bus within Illinois, like along the popular Lincoln Corridor, and for example, one cannot even take a direct bus between Chicago and Galesburg. So I don't see SWA getting that upset. UP is getting a better railroad out of it, considering how bad it was when it was 15 years ago with CM&W. CN, OTOH, will be difficult.

Date: 08/29/14 07:53
Author: sums007

joemvcnj Wrote:
> Hopefully he will simply focus on the mobility
> issues and in efficiently accessing Chicago, not
> make it a partisan topic. Dan Ryan Expressway is
> no fun coming from Springfield for either D's or
> R's, which is more than I can say for the "R" in
> NJ.

A little nit pick, Joe. It's the Stevenson [I-55] that folks will use St. Louis - Chicago. Although you are definitely right about the Dan Ryan!

Date: 08/29/14 08:06
Author: BCHellman

chi-townadam Wrote:

> to a handful of class ones.

"Liberal Democrat" Jimmy Carter signed the Staggers Rail Act that deregulated railroads in 1980. The legislation was named after "liberal Democrat" Harley Staggers of West Virgina.

Date: 08/29/14 08:09

joemvcnj Wrote:
> .... CN, OTOH, will be difficult.

Maybe CN would be less difficult if it received some of the largess of the state, like UP has. Even BNSF is getting some goodies. What has CN had thrown its way?

Date: 08/29/14 08:10
Author: navy5717th

This thread is in violation of the Constitutional Separation of Politics and Trainorders.

Fritz in HSV, AL

Date: 08/29/14 08:14

navy5717th Wrote:
> This thread is in violation of the Constitutional
> Separation of Politics and Trainorders.
>
> Fritz in HSV, AL

I thought we were doing a pretty good job of just keeping it on the edge.

Date: 08/29/14 08:31

So right!!, ts1457

If we can stay away from even uttering the words "conservative-liberal-tea party" we'll be fine. Let's do it.

Since politician control the money; we better talk about them!!--only not in terms of "my side is better than your side".

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/14 08:32 by floridajoe2001.

Date: 08/29/14 10:33
Author: robj

I am so glad y'all are so interested in our governors race here in Illinoiseeee.

Factoids as I know them.
Quinn announced Rockford service in 2010 for 60M or so.
Quinn announced Rockford service in 2014 for 250m or more - no shovel turned yet.
So you get a PR stop in 2010 and in 2014 a UP train, two elections PR for one non existent train route

Quad Cities train train funded in 2010
http://qctimes.com/news/local/government-and-politics/q-c-passenger-rail-start-delayed/article_6faca313-3a76-5190-b591-002d0b45fa71.html
No Time Table

St. Louis: year after year detours, etc.
Where is the beef.

New equipment: a photo of a shell in Trains
New Locos: Very PO'd very large employer in Illinois.

CN -whatever the facts. Public enemy number one thanks to Illinois, so they will be really inclined to ever allow Amtrak to go Dubuque
or Memphis. Good Luck. You make your business partner your political punching bag and...........

Illinois Dept of Transportation scandal:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/politics/chi-quinn-deputy-chief-of-staff-leaving-amid-idot-patronage-controversy-20140826-story.html
I didn't know nuttin bout it.

What Harold Washington had to say:
"Pat Quinn is a totally and completely undisciplined individual," says Washington in the video, "who thinks this government is nothing but a large easel on which to do his PR work. He almost created a shambles in that department."

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/politics/harold-washington-pat-quinn-dan-hynes-illinois-governors-race-82258827.html#ixzz3BnqNKLCe
Follow us: @nbcchicago on Twitter | nbcchicago on Facebook

Bob

Date: 08/29/14 11:54

To: robj

I know you're frustrated with all the BS and slowness involved in passenger rail politics; but your State has some interesting things happening (if we all live long enough to see them completed).

Joe

Date: 08/29/14 21:11
Author: DavidP

chi-townadam Wrote:
> fulham Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I know the current IL governor, Pat Quinn is
> > pro-rail and has done much to advance
> inter-city
> > rail within the state. Does anyone know the
> > attitude towards passenger rail by Quinn's
> > opponent, Bruce Rauner? I have seen that the
> two
> > are running close in the election, and with the
> > large order of cars starting to be produced in
> > Rochelle, would Rauner pull a Scott Walker and
> > pull the plug on this project and maybe even
> cut
> > back some of the state supported trains?
>
> to a handful of class ones. So I wouldn't trust
> the Democrat party with railroads anymore than I
> would trust my daughter around and 35 year old man
> with a white van with "free candy" painted on it.
>
> Want some examples? PennCentral and Rock Island.
>
> All in the name of forcing shipping on the then
> new highway system, more tolls means more money.
> Plus look at Amtrak, going on over 40 years of not
> turning a profit. Only the government can manage
> that.

iCC commissioners were appointed by the President. We had Republican Presidents from 1969 to 1977....I would love to know which Commissioners you think were liberal Democrats.

Dave

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1515 seconds