Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Passenger Trains > KC Union Station 100th Anniversary begins Sept 5

Date: 08/29/14 20:19
KC Union Station 100th Anniversary begins Sept 5
Author: RuleG

Next Friday, there will be a big celebration kicking off the observation of Kansas City Union Station's 100th Anniversary. Based on the information provided, the September 5, 2014 event seems to be more general with little railroad specific content. Events planned for October 30 through November 2, 2014 have more railroad content, including a "Vintage Trains & Railcar Display."

http://www.unionstation.org/100years/

Kansas City Southern and Watco are among the list of partners.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/14 21:50 by RuleG.

Date: 08/29/14 21:16
Re: KC Union Station 100th Anniversary begins Sept 5
Author: mp51w

The photo and graphics on that Union Station link are really cool!

Date: 08/30/14 09:03
Author: shuttletrain

The September 5th deal is the annual pep rally for NHL KC Chief's that USKC hosts every year. The Big Blow-Out is on Thursday, October 30th with the Grand Gala. Then a little activity on Friday, Oct 31st. On Saturday morning, Nov 1st is Re-dedication ceremony, and railroad related displays, tours of the Model Train Experience, and the KC Rail Experience, with visiting railroad equipment like Amtrak's Exhibit Train. I should also mention that the American Passenger Rail Heritage Foundation will have a table and it's Let's Talk Trains Internet Radio program will have three of it's hosts broadcasting LIVE on Saturday from NOON to TWO CDT.

Theodore Picraux
St. Peters, MO
Shuttletrain's Wanderings

Date: 08/30/14 14:57
Author: BuddPullman

I recall going to the 50th Anniversary of Union Station Kansas City in 1964 when I was 9 years old. I was impressed.

Each railroad provided one or two rail cars for a train length walk through display. The cut of cars (UPRR, MP, Wabash, CB&Q, Rock Island, KCS, Frisco, MKT, etc.) included a brand new KCS Baggage Car where you entered, followed by Pullmans, Coaches and so on. The last cars at the opposite end were a brand new Santa Fe Hi Level Coach from the 1964 batch delivered by Budd and a Santa Fe Big Dome.

I would be interested to see the consist of cars in that line up of equipment as I don't remember a well as I used to.

I hope there are some impressive trains, including an Amtrak display, this time, as I plan to travel from California for the 100th Anniversary Union Station event.

Date: 08/30/14 15:03
Author: jderoo

Also the 50th Anniversary of the station in 1964 featured the
last excursions of CB&Q 4-8-4 #5632. Hoping for some neat stuff
this fall.

Date: 08/30/14 17:31
Author: korotaj

A truly great station: Historic, heroic, inspiring, and when you walk in or out you feel like you surely are embarking on a great journey or you are arriving in a great city. But alas, where are the hundreds of trains that should be arriving and departing daily? Only in America, a magnificent station with only a very few trains that are late most of the time. For me out of about 10 arrivals and departures never on time and a missed connection once that resulted in a horrible bus ride to St Louis.

Date: 09/01/14 07:22
Author: bluesboyst

BuddPullman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recall going to the 50th Anniversary of Union
> Station Kansas City in 1964 when I was 9 years
> old. I was impressed.
>
> Each railroad provided one or two rail cars for a
> train length walk through display. The cut of
> cars (UPRR, MP, Wabash, CB&Q, Rock Island, KCS,
> Frisco, MKT, etc.) included a brand new KCS
> Baggage Car where you entered, followed by
> Pullmans, Coaches and so on. The last cars at the
> opposite end were a brand new Santa Fe Hi Level
> Coach from the 1964 batch delivered by Budd and a
> Santa Fe Big Dome.

This must have been something back then... Any pics?
>
> I would be interested to see the consist of cars
> in that line up of equipment as I don't remember a
> well as I used to.
>
> I hope there are some impressive trains, including
> an Amtrak display, this time, as I plan to travel
> from California for the 100th Anniversary Union
> Station event.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds