Home Open Account Help 261 users online

Passenger Trains > Passenger train etiquette

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/18/14 17:57
Passenger train etiquette
Author: howeld

My wife and I will be taking a trip early next month on Pullman New Orleans to Chicago. What is proper etiquette for this type of service or any tips to make it more enjoyable. We are really looking forward to this trip as we have never taken a sleeper trip before.
Thank You
Derek

Date: 09/18/14 18:02
Re: Passenger train etiquette
Author: SandHouseTalk

From the www.travelpullman.com website:

"Recommended attire on board is “Upscale Casual". Change to: Dress for Women: Skirts, dresses, dress slacks and pantsuits or dress jeans with a casual yet elegant top are appropriate.
Dress for Men: Suits or sport coat with dressy trousers worn with a collared shirt is recommended for dinner (tie optional). At other times, slacks or dress jeans worn with a collared shirt would be appropriate."

Date: 09/18/14 18:22
Author: cforssi

Nowdays the fashion aboard trains is as follows: Sweat pants, gym shorts, stained T-shirt or pajamas and black shirt with devil skulls on it in that order.

Date: 09/18/14 18:35
Author: WAF

SandHouseTalk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From the www.travelpullman.com website:
>
> "Recommended attire on board is “Upscale
> Casual". Change to: Dress for Women: Skirts,
> dresses, dress slacks and pantsuits or dress jeans
> with a casual yet elegant top are appropriate.
> Dress for Men: Suits or sport coat with dressy
> trousers worn with a collared shirt is recommended
> for dinner (tie optional). At other times, slacks
> or dress jeans worn with a collared shirt would be
> appropriate."
Seriously?

Date: 09/18/14 18:36
Author: korotaj

And don't forget "body art", seasonal caps for a favorite gladiator team, and the latest "garbage bag" luggage.

Date: 09/18/14 18:36
Author: WAF

Jeans and don't bother bathing

Date: 09/18/14 18:37
Author: The_Chief_Way

caps and hats would be out of place in the dining car

Date: 09/18/14 19:11
Author: UPRR3985

cforssi Wrote:
> Nowdays the fashion aboard trains is as follows:
> Sweat pants, gym shorts, stained T-shirt or
> pajamas and black shirt with devil skulls on it in
> that order.
You got it spot on. I saw all of this just recently including a young drunk pos with a shirt that said "no rules no morals". What classy people.
Like someone also said, don't forget the garbage bag luggage!

Posted from Android

Date: 09/18/14 19:14
Author: kd0r

One of the key things you've said it that it'll be a Pullman experience. That's NOT an Amtrak experience! Pullman seeks to recreate Pullman travel in the '50s. If you want to contribute to that, beyond the basics as they've suggested in their site info, travel in a sport coat and casual tie, with fedora. Let them figure out where you should put the fedora during the meal. :-) Your wife can play around with higher end attire than we tend to wear today. Bottom line, have fun! I envy you the trip. Hope we get to take it soon!
David
Yes I have three fedoras and a Tilley!

Date: 09/18/14 19:20
Author: aronco

Gentlemen should place their hat on the shelf under their chair. Ladies should continue to wear their hats at meal time.

Norm aboard TIOGA PASS

Posted from iPhone

Norman Orfall
Helendale, CA
TIOGA PASS, a private railcar

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/14 19:20 by aronco.

Date: 09/18/14 19:51

<Gentlemen should place their hat on the shelf under their chair. Ladies should continue to wear their hats at meal time.>

The ladies should also remember to pull the veil back before beginning to eat. :-)

When we manage to get to a Pullman Rail Journeys trip, I'll have to remember the shelf under the chair. Not something I'm used to seeing. I've found it hard to wear a hat lately, even in older restaurants, as most of the hat racks are gone.

David

Date: 09/18/14 20:21
Author: ironmtn

WAF Wrote:
> SandHouseTalk Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > From the www.travelpullman.com website:
> >
> > "Recommended attire on board is “Upscale
> > Casual". Change to: Dress for Women: Skirts,
> > dresses, dress slacks and pantsuits or dress
> > jeans with a casual yet elegant top are appropriate.
> > Dress for Men: Suits or sport coat with dressy
> > trousers worn with a collared shirt is
> > recommended
> > for dinner (tie optional). At other times,
> > slacks or dress jeans worn with a collared shirt would
> > be appropriate."

> Seriously?

I hope so, seriously. Kudos to eee and company for having the taste and class to say it. Wish I could go. And if I did, I would not mind in the slightest following their suggestions, and indeed would expect the same from my fellow passengers.

A travel experience like that is all about ambiance. The way that people dress, and the way they carry themselves and interact when dressed up, is a key part of the ambiance in that or any more formal setting. Again, kudos to Pullman for taste, class and standing on socially appropriate principle.

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Date: 09/18/14 20:32

Should you decide to spend serious money on a train trip, the Royal Scotsman, on seven day trips, has two formal meals in the dining car. Tuxs with kilts preferred for men, comparable for women. That could get to me buy a tux and kilt! Probably take the Queen Mary II to get there, so I could use the tux even more.

Happy Travels,
David

Date: 09/18/14 20:35
Author: CPCoyote

The man asked a serious question, but didn't get many serious answers. As kd0r said, don't confuse Pullman travel with Amtrak sleeping car travel. There's no need to dress up. Casual attire that is comfortable for traveling is appropriate. After New Orleans, the right side of the train is best for viewing as the train skirts Lake Ponchartrain. Have a great trip.

Date: 09/18/14 20:43
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

korotaj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------------
> And don't forget . . . the latest "garbage bag" luggage.

I refer to trash bags being used as luggage as "Mississippi Samsonites."

eee should also place electronic cell phone jammers in his dining cars so people can't try to dine and yak on their cell phones at the same time.

Date: 09/18/14 21:44
Author: jcaestecker

Business casual is the order of the day on Amtrak diners, in my opinion.. Slacks and polos for the guys and dress jeans or skirts for the ladies is what I would recommend. Some of my PV guests prefer to wear sport coats (gents) and dresses with hats (ladies), but that is not the norm anymore. Just don't wear gym wear! Sweats, shorts, tees, wife-beaters, tanks, please keep those at home.

-John

Date: 09/18/14 22:45
Author: BoilingMan

The most gratifying aspect of TO membership is how much better we are than pretty much everyone else! Can't you just feel their envy!
Oh to be us!
Eat your heart out America!

Date: 09/18/14 22:56
Author: mp51w

Ed must have a place to hang his hat in the diner. Ha!

Date: 09/19/14 03:04
Author: ClubCar

This is how our ladies dressed when they traveled; to me they look good.

Date: 09/19/14 06:11
Author: eee

Since it's a Pullman train, I leave my hat in my room when I go to the dining car.

I probably ride this train more than most TO members, and I can tell you that few wear jeans, many men wear ties, and most women dress up for dinner. I usually wear a sport coat, and if I'm with a group that wants to dress up for dinner, I will wear a tie.

We have Wi-Fi on the train (which is good, because that's where I am now, and I wouldn't be writing this post otherwise) but I can't recall hearing a cell phone ring during dinner. People seem to know to silence their cell phones.

As far as tips (and yes, I tip my own crew) we do provide a guide in the welcome packet when you get on board. Some people tip at the end of the trip, others tip for every drink and meal, and some don't tip at all. It's completely at the discretion of the traveler.

For those who are interested in traveling and haven't yet had the opportunity to Go Pullman, there are bargain fares on certain dates where we are trying to balance off against a one-way group, so call the Pullman reservation desk and ask, they will be helpful.

Ed

mp51w Wrote:
> Ed must have a place to hang his hat in the diner.
> Ha!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/14 06:12 by eee.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0734 seconds