Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Passenger Trains > New Orleans vs. Amtrak

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/19/14 06:54
New Orleans vs. Amtrak
Author: Ptolemy

This is a weird one:

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/09/new_orleans_fighting_amtrak_ov.html

I really like that the public should know better than to stand in the path of a train.

Date: 09/19/14 07:22
Re: New Orleans vs. Amtrak
Author: floridajoe2001

I noticed the words "disadvantaged neighborhood" was used. We all know what this means.

Amtrak, no doubt, needs a wall like this to protect it's assets; but, a wall with barbed wire on top is sure to get residents and politicians hoping mad.

I'm afraid Amtrak will probably lose this one; and will just have to pay for the crime, vandalism; theft; or whatever this wall was intended to prevent.

Joe

Date: 09/19/14 07:33
Author: Torisgod

At least the battle isn't too fiery. It's just over a fence. I was afraid when I read the subject line.

Tor in Eugene

Date: 09/19/14 07:58
Author: bradleymckay

Stacy Head is also called the "drama queen of New Orleans"...

Allen

Date: 09/19/14 08:35
Author: ColdRainAndSnow

One of the politicos asserts that "there are alternate methods and designs to secure the area" yet offers no details. Obviously Amtrak was unimpressed with whatever alternatives were put forth. Everybody seems to be dancing around the core issue of WHY Amtrak feels it must erect these barriers. Politicians should be talking about the security deficiencies in the area, and how they intend to shore them up. There is much to protect in the Amtrak facility. I wish Amtrak well in their pursuit to protect the scarce resources they do have there.

Date: 09/19/14 09:11
Author: Ray_Murphy

This is the way railroads protect their facilities in South America.

Ray

Date: 09/19/14 09:29
Author: Realist

floridajoe2001 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I noticed the words "disadvantaged neighborhood"
> was used. We all know what this means.
>
> Amtrak, no doubt, needs a wall like this to
> protect it's assets; but, a wall with barbed wire
> on top is sure to get residents and politicians
> hoping mad.
>
> I'm afraid Amtrak will probably lose this one; and
> will just have to pay for the crime, vandalism;
> theft; or whatever this wall was intended to
> prevent.
>
> Joe

No problem. Think outside the box. Build the fence
or wall, plant roses and cactus. Lot's of them, bred
to have especially tough thorns. When everything is
in bloom, it will be anything but an eyesore.

Date: 09/19/14 09:30
Author: prr60

I think they are going to find that local zoning does not apply to government property, and Amtrak property is legally considered government property.

Date: 09/19/14 09:41
Author: Out_Of_Service

Ptolemy Wrote:
> This is a weird one:
>
> http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2014/09/new
> _orleans_fighting_amtrak_ov.html
>
> I really like that the public should know better
> than to stand in the path of a train.

apparently she doesn't read news articles of people getting killed by trains that should know better to be in the path of a train

Posted from Android

Date: 09/19/14 10:00
Author: hazegray

https://maps.google.com/maps?bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.75774317,d.aWw&biw=1280&bih=878&dpr=1&sns=1&wrapid=tljp1411145235594016&um=1&ie=UTF-8&fb=1&gl=us&cid=7941336299512390575&q=mercedes+benz+superdome&sa=X&ei=GV4cVN77GIWmyASF9YGoCg&sqi=2&ved=0CKoBEPwSMBA

This is a link to a satellite view of the New Orleans Super Dome. You'll also see tracks leading to NOL station, and back along the tracks the Amtrak maintenance facility. That facility is located directly across the street from some public housing which was partially flooded during Katrina (causing many of its residents to go to the Super Dome).
I think the fence Amtrak wants to build in this location.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/14 10:02 by hazegray.

Date: 09/19/14 11:46
Author: kgrr

How else will they be able to stop all those hobos from riding trains for free? Ah never mind. They don't prosecute them anyway.

Date: 09/19/14 12:17

kgrr Wrote:
> How else will they be able to stop all those hobos
> from riding trains for free? Ah never mind. They
> don't prosecute them anyway.

How many hoboes ride trains out of New Orleans? I gather you've seen a lot.

Date: 09/19/14 12:50
Author: floridajoe2001

to: Realist

OK, let's think out of the box. I'm sure some "out-of-the-box" types are already thinking along these lines:

Unless Amtrak completely gives in; they might find themselves in a big legal battle. What a SUPER way to pump some of Amtrak's money into the New Orleans court and legal system. Isn't this being done in California with all their law suites?--why shouldn't Louisiana get it on this gravy train.

As to your "cactus and roses" out-of-box idea; great! A 7 foot high wall of roses! Getting Amtrak to pay for installation and maintenance of such a thing would be fantastic news for the New Orleans landscaping industry. Might even get some people from the "disadvantage neighborhood" to plant it--as long as Amtrak gets the bill, of course.

Boy!, it's amazing how many problems Amtrak has that don't involve trains.

Joe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/14 12:53 by floridajoe2001.

Date: 09/19/14 13:16
Author: stuporchief

This thread is not very constructive. Maybe time to give this a rest.

Date: 09/19/14 13:22
Earhart Blvd.
Author: NewRiverGeorge

Actually there already was a fence up to the wye, but it has gotten to be in fairly poor repair. The entire length of Earhart is fenced from the "bus station" up past the railyard, and to the point of the wye where the head end stops prior to backing up into the station. This track used to continue on to the now closed blue plate food factory, I forget what it was, I think it might have been a mayonnaise plant, but is now a stub since the balance of the rails were removed.

The fencing project started around 12 years ago, the impetus being our old friend, "homeland security." This is the last gap other than the main line entrance, which is still wide open as far as I know. CN sometimes sent a freight engine in service the Times Picayune newspaper facility, which used a lot of rolls of newsprint. Last I heard the Picayune had laid off most of their staff and the intent was by the new owners that it would be printed elsewhere, and it was to be reduced to 3 times a week instead of daily (remind you of anything?).

Unless conductors plan on getting off the train to open and close a gate across the main, or unless Chicago figures out some kind of way to automatically open and close a gate, there will always be this opening on the Superdome side behind the Kentwood facility.

The true purpose of the fence was to keep railfans out, we all know that.

Date: 09/19/14 15:45
Re: Earhart Blvd.
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Amtrak should just terminate the easr end of the Sunset at Houston, and the west end of the
Creacent at whatever large town is east of the Big Easy. Just leave and be done with N.O.

Date: 09/19/14 16:14

WrongWayMurphy Wrote:
> Amtrak should just terminate the easr end of the
> Sunset at Houston, and the west end of the
> Creacent at whatever large town is east of the Big
> Easy. Just leave and be done with N.O.

That has to be one of the most bizarre suggestions I have ever heard. Can you give any sensible reason for suggesting this? Do you ever ride trains to New Orleans?

Date: 09/19/14 18:15
Author: GenePoon

Ptolemy Wrote:
> WrongWayMurphy Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Amtrak should just terminate the easr end of
> the
> > Sunset at Houston, and the west end of the
> > Creacent at whatever large town is east of the
> Big
> > Easy. Just leave and be done with N.O.
>
> That has to be one of the most bizarre suggestions
> I have ever heard. Can you give any sensible
> reason for suggesting this?

You mean other than sarcasm, which I thought was pretty obvious?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/14 18:17 by GenePoon.

Date: 09/19/14 18:36

GenePoon Wrote:
> Ptolemy Wrote:
> -----
> > WrongWayMurphy Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Amtrak should just terminate the easr end of
> > the
> > > Sunset at Houston, and the west end of the
> > > Creacent at whatever large town is east of
> the
> > Big
> > > Easy. Just leave and be done with N.O.
> >
> > That has to be one of the most bizarre
> suggestions
> > I have ever heard. Can you give any sensible
> > reason for suggesting this?
>
>
> You mean other than sarcasm, which I thought was
> pretty obvious?

Sometimes a feeble attempt at humor is so heavy-handed and lame it is hard to see the point. More ridiculous suggestions are regularly made in all seriousness on TO.

Date: 09/19/14 19:52
Author: MEKoch

I heard on good suggestion that was used in another location. They used four feet high Jersey concrete barriers to create large planter areas. The railroad supplied the plants/flowers and a neighborhood group planted and took care of the "boxes." The result was an attractive planter area 4' high and about six feet deep with bushes, plants and flowers to create a attractive visual barrier. Children were kept away by its size, and many adults had a stake in keeping the planters atrractive and cared for. Traspassing was greatly reduced.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0712 seconds