Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Passenger Trains > NU Huskers Football Special

Date: 09/20/14 16:19
NU Huskers Football Special
Author: mopac1978

Well the first Omaha to Lincoln, NE football special in about 4 decades made its trip in fine style this afternoon. The train consisted of P42 #6, Horizon coach 54540, Amfleet Cafe 43347, Horizon coach 54000, SLRG 551 Sky View, SLRG 1394 Prairie View, PPCX 800724 Promontory Point, and RPCX 100 Suitesme on the rear. The train loaded at the Omaha Durham Museum, aka Union Station. Since this is on the UP, and the train followed Amtrak's BNSF route to Lincoln, a little see-saw work was in store to get the train out of Omaha. After boarding all the passengers, the train pulled west past Tower B, then shoved back east through a newer connection between UP and BNSF past the Amtrak station, then finally headed west on the BNSF. Herewith are a few images of the process:

1) The private cars are spotted at the side of the Durham Museum for loading

2) AMTK 6 was parked half-way underneath the 10th Street viaduct during the loading

3) The train pulls west past Tower B out onto the UP main line

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/14 16:28 by mopac1978.

Date: 09/20/14 16:23
Re: NU Huskers Football Special

4) The train backs up underneath 10th Street viaduct going through the interchange track from UP to BNSF. Although the Prairie View is a great looking car, I wonder how many Husker fans realize they're riding in a car that basically carries the colors of their opponent tonight (Miami)? I hope it's not a bad omen.....

5) The train continues backing onto the BNSF past the Amtrak platforms.

6) Once clear of the switches and signals, the BNSF dispatcher lines them up and they're on their way!

Date: 09/20/14 16:27

7) The train heads west past the Amtrak station and the old Burlington Station (just out of sight to the right). The Burlington Station is currently undergoing renovation to become the headquarters and studios of television station KETV.

8) West of the Omaha metro, the train now rolls at track speed past the Melia siding, located just south of Gretna.

9) Away they go. Go Huskers!

Date: 09/20/14 17:01
Author: joemvcnj

Does the window band on the Am-dinette say "Northeast Regional" ?

Date: 09/20/14 17:05

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does the window band on the Am-dinette say
> "Northeast Regional" ?

Yes it does.

Date: 09/20/14 18:42
Author: cutboy2

Very nice. Amtrak can be cooperative!!

Date: 09/21/14 10:35
Author: wpjones

Thanks for all the great Photos. I was on the Train as part of the Crew so couldn't photo it my self.
Also great to see Cate Kratville at OMA and trackside watching her Dads Legacy carried on both with Football trains and one of AutoLiners former cars in the consist.
Also two other things brought to my Attention.
This Train Loaded on Omaha Union Station track 2
The original Football Specials loaded on Omaha Union Station track 1,15 ft away which is now in the Durham Museum. And displayed on that track inside the Museum is "Cornhusker Club" one of the cars used in many of the original Football trains. This car was Donated to the Museum by the Late Bill Kratville. Most of the Passengers riding the Special walked right by this car on the way to the Special.
Steve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/14 20:00 by wpjones.

Date: 09/21/14 14:40

Steve, I saw Tom's post with a photo of you at the south (or TT west) end of Melia. Here's one I took of you - hang on to that hat!

Date: 09/21/14 14:41

And here's one with Dave:

Date: 09/22/14 12:31
Author: OmahaTom

Great shots! And for anyone curious, the Final: Nebraska Cornhuskers: 41 - Miami Hurricanes: 31 ... GO HUSKERS! Lets keep this football train goin too!

Tom Loftus
Omaha, NE

Date: 09/22/14 19:14
Author: wpjones

Did you buy a ticket and support the effort?
Steve

OmahaTom Wrote:
Lets keep this football train goin
> too!

Date: 09/23/14 10:45
Author: OmahaTom

...at $200 per ticket? Unfortunately, I don't fall into that demographic. I show my support by talking about it!

Tom Loftus
Omaha, NE

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0874 seconds