Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Passenger Trains > P951, the Hoosier State Special from Yesterday

Date: 10/02/14 09:54
P951, the Hoosier State Special from Yesterday
Author: WrongMain

Wednesday was a beautiful day for a dog and pony show and Amtrak obliged us with P951 from Indianapolis to Chicago. I don't know if this was a last gasp effort to save the Hoosier State. I've read all kinds of reports saying that Amtrak doesn't or does want this train, so I'll leave that debate for the experts. I just wanted to share the shots of this train.

1. Led by the 822, the train arrives Dyer 1308, or 15 minutes early.

2. P951 comes off the Monon Sub onto the former GTW Elsdon Sub at Munster. Looks like a new switch is laying there ready to be installed.

3. A theater car brings up the rear as the train heads west towards Thornton, where it will get on the UP and head for Chicago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/14 14:45 by WrongMain.

Date: 10/02/14 10:22
Re: P951, the Hoosier State Special from Yesterday
Author: trainsfireengine

What time did P951 get to Chicago? I am wondering if Amtrak held #30 up for 3 hours while they waited for the American View theater car? The explanation to the passengers on 30 was that a crew was not available and that is possible due to excessive delay of #29, but ya gotta wonder sometimes too if that is the whole story.

Date: 10/02/14 10:42
Author: TipsyMcStagger

I'm not sure if that is a new switch or just one of the old ones, but for the longest time the original Monon/GTW diamond was left
just north of roadbed when it was pulled decades ago. Would not be surprised if it was still there.

Date: 10/02/14 10:42
Author: GPutz

Monday, 9/29/14,#822 and the entire Exhibit Train were on the head end of Amtrak #29 departing DC. Gerry

Date: 10/02/14 11:53
Author: jp1822

Another Viewliner sleeper that should be in revenue service as opposed to hosting executives.......use the crew sleeper and if this isn't enough then pull the crew sleeper from the "exhibit train!"

Date: 10/02/14 12:06
Author: RevRandy

Dyer platform has been upgraded since my time in that area (2003-2006) - good to see it looking better.

Thanks for the photos

Date: 10/02/14 12:12
Author: stone23

Another Trainorders member who just hates Management! Others of that ilk will complain if Management does something or complain if Management does nothing (in their opinion!)

You can't have it both ways!

Date: 10/02/14 12:20
Author: NewRiverGeorge

There have been some railroad improvements, but it has nothing to do with Amtrak. The new siding near Lowell, due to cut in later this month. Some signal stuff, especially around Reynolds. It's for the steel trains to and from the Magnetation plant.

Amtrak did get a federal grant to make some platforms handicap accessible. Dyer and Rensselaer were both beneficiaries of this one time "free" money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/14 12:25 by NewRiverGeorge.

Date: 10/02/14 13:19
Author: joemvcnj

< Another Viewliner sleeper that should be in revenue service as opposed to hosting executives.......use the crew sleeper and if this isn't enough then pull the crew sleeper from the "exhibit train!".

Or perhaps a leg-rest coach, and they purchase an "over-night kit" for $8 if they have insomnia.

Date: 10/02/14 15:47
Author: stuporchief

stone23 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another Trainorders member who just hates
> Management! Others of that ilk will complain if
> Management does something or complain if
> Management does nothing (in their opinion!)
>
> You can't have it both ways!

Criticizing management that has done nothing to make the Hoosier State a viable passenger train for years seems completely reasonable to me.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0592 seconds