Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Passenger Trains > NRHS 2015 Rutland Convention tickets are still on sale

Date: 10/16/14 22:11
NRHS 2015 Rutland Convention tickets are still on sale
Author: Mudrock

Go to the NRHS Web Site to buy tickets.

If you are not a member join before buying tickets.

See you in Rutland if you do!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/14 22:12 by Mudrock.

Date: 10/17/14 05:41
Re: NRHS 2015 Rutland Convention tickets are still on
Author: NKP715

Any news from the NRHS since the "New Business Plan" was
rejected? Only thing I've noticed is that they removed any
reference to the plan from their website.

Date: 10/17/14 07:27

Their new Business Plan was not passed. We are still waiting on a letter from our New President, Al Weber.

chris

Date: 10/17/14 13:23
Author: SCAX3401

Mudrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Their new Business Plan was not passed. We are
> still waiting on a letter from our New President,
> Al Weber.

Unfortunately, the NRHS members could not let go of the "good old days" and do what was needed to move the NRHS into the future. I wonder if the NRHS will even be around for a 2016 Convention.

Date: 10/17/14 20:22
Author: RuleG

I would like very much to attend next year's NRHS Convention. The idea of a convention based on the Rutland/Vermont Railway holds tremendous appeal for me. Registration is also much easier than in prior years.

However, it is too soon for me to make a commitment to attend. I typically try to make one "big" railfan event every year, either a special excursion or an NRHS Convention. In addition to these, next year, depending on the outcome of this year's election, I may have to make time to ride so Amtrak trains which may be eliminated.

On top of all of this, there are three professional conferences of interest. While none of them conflict with the NRHS Convention dates, my work load could make it difficult for me to attend both a professional meeting and the NRHS Convention.

There are other things going with me and amongst those close to me which could conflict with the convention.

As shown in the brochure on the NRHS Convention website, the costs to cancel are very high.

What's the push to register now? All prior NRHS Conventions I've attended did not have registration until February or March of the year of the convention.

Date: 10/17/14 20:30

The push like to last three years are so NRHS members get a chance at everything. Remember You don't have to pay evcerything now it can be made in another payment if you choose that option. It has made for very good conventions.

Chris

Date: 10/18/14 08:59
Author: ClubCar

BNSF6400 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Unfortunately, the NRHS members could not let go
> of the "good old days" and do what was needed to
> move the NRHS into the future. I wonder if the
> NRHS will even be around for a 2016 Convention.

The NRHS will be around for those chapters who operate train excursions and own or have access to a railroad museum that also operates excursions. Also those NRHS chapters who have a good shortline or regional railroad with whom they can work. Many other chapters are slowing dying due to the lack of trips (which used to help obtain members) and the fact that if you look at their current members, they are all in their 60's on up. The younger generation of rail fans are not interested in joining most rail clubs, especially the NRHS chapters that only hold meetings and sit around and shoot the bull. The Baltimore Chapter used to be a very active chapter and I used to go to their meetings. I'm getting older myself; however it's not all their fault but as I have stated on here before, we have NO rail excursions of any kind here in the Baltimore area. Our B&O R.R. Museum is not interested in trips, they don't even appreciate volunteers working on their equipment as one can see by visiting them and looking at all the equipment outside rusting away, especially their B&O passenger cars and the former Reading T-1 2101 steam engine which was American Freedom Train engine #1. So what is a rail enthusiast to do? Move to another state where things are happening if you can. Cumberland, Maryland has the Western Maryland Scenic steam powered trains and
Thank God we are close by to Pennsylvania where there are lots of excursion trains to ride.

John a/k/a ClubCar in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 10/19/14 16:07

NRHS has historically started convention registration for the next year at the previous convention. This was an advance reservation where those who registered early without knowing what the convention events were had a chance to order first once the convention events were known. However, now the registration doesn't start until most or all of the events are known and under contract. With this change, it has encouraged the convention to lock in events as much as a year in advance. Doing this allows everyone to actually see the convention activities before they register, yet still give them time to make plans for taking the time to attend the convention. Many companies require their employees to bid on vacation time for the following year, so seeing the events early allows NRHS members and non-members to determine if they want to attend the convention in plenty of time to plan their vacation time. As a part of this, NRHS also now allows people to make a deposit for the convention and then make final payment closer to the convention time. Additionally, efforts are made to have plenty of event capacity so even those people wanting to attend at the last minute have a chance to get tickets for some of the events, although the premium classes (business car, dome and lounge) often sell out well in advance.

Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0841 seconds