Home Open Account Help 157 users online

Passenger Trains > Two Michigan Amtrak Trains

Date: 10/19/14 19:28
Two Michigan Amtrak Trains
Author: Ron

Here is an almost 2 minutes video of a couple of Michigan Amtrak Trains.

The first one is Amtrak #352 AMTK 126 AMTK 36, Saturday, October 18, 2014. A few miles east of Battle Creek, Michigan, at the 11 Mile Road crossing. This portion of the Chicago to Detroit Amtrak line has not been completely upgraded to handle the 110 MPH trains.

The second one is also Amtrak #352 AMTK 37 AMTK 27, Friday, October 17, 2014. At Walker Street, in Lawton, Michigan. This IS on the portion of the Chicago to Detroit Amtrak line that handles the 110 MPH trains., and this one is doing just that!

Earlier this summer I was able to visit the Lawton area and usually within about an hour and a half I could catch three of the high speed, 110 MPH trains. The schedule had been modified to allow the track crews the most time on the rails, but as of October 1, the schedule reverted back to the normal one and I can't catch them in Lawton like I could before.

One thing I noticed on this video that I never noticed before, or maybe it wasn't quite as obvious, of the second train, notice when the Engineer starts blowing the horn, the ditch lights begin to flash alternately, but the sound doesn't reach the camera for a few seconds.

Ron

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/19/14 21:45
Re: Two Michigan Amtrak Trains
Author: GP25

I notice many of the Michigan Trains have a second Unit.

Any reason why?

Jerry Martin
Los Angeles, CA
Central Coast Railroad Festival

Date: 10/19/14 21:53

So they can reach the 110 MPH speed limit fast enough, and not be dragging along for miles trying to reach it. Also, they're on each end of the train so they don't have to turn the train at Pontiac or Chicago.

Ron

Date: 10/20/14 00:09
Author: MartyBernard

Ron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One thing I noticed on this video that I never
> noticed before, or maybe it wasn't quite as
> obvious, of the second train, notice when the
> Engineer starts blowing the horn, the ditch lights
> begin to flash alternately, but the sound doesn't
> reach the camera for a few seconds.
>

As I understand it, the ditch lights come on automatically when the engineer blows the horn and when the train is running slowly.

And by your comment are you saying the second locomotive is MUed through the train?

Hey, nice video.

Marty Bernard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/14 00:12 by MartyBernard.

Date: 10/20/14 00:18

MartyBernard Wrote:

> And by your comment are you saying the second locomotive is MUed through the train?
>
> Marty Bernard

Yes, but I don't know the details. I know, kind of, one of the Amtrak Engineers that operates here in Michigan, I'll ask him for the details.

Ron

Date: 10/20/14 03:06
Author: Setandcentered

Yes, they are m/u'd through the train, and special instructions dictate that both are on-line.

Date: 10/20/14 06:20
Author: chico

The track profile east of Battle Creek has more curvature than west of Kalamazooo, and will limit the 110mph operation somewhat, like in the curve you see in the first part of the video, I don't think they'll do 110 there.

nice videos Ron.

chico

Date: 10/20/14 21:22
Author: hsr_fan

I'll be curious to see if the Talgos are authorized for higher curve speeds on the line.

Date: 10/20/14 22:11

hsr_fan Wrote:
> I'll be curious to see if the Talgos are authorized for higher curve speeds on the line.

That's one thing that I want to keep up with too. If in fact they do ever show up on this line.

The line from Kalamazoo, eastward does have a lot more curves than the section from Chicago to Kalamazoo, and it passes through a few more towns and cities. I can only imagine that it will be a lot of "hurry up" then "slow down" then more "hurry up"....all along this section.

Ron

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0462 seconds