Home Open Account Help 346 users online

Passenger Trains > Elevated views of rushhour Metra

Date: 10/27/14 20:58
Elevated views of rushhour Metra
Author: inCHI

Last week I was working a photo assignment in the top floors of Holiday Inn near Merchandise Mart in downtown Chicago. They room had stunning views of the city looking South, West, and Northwest, and I was able to grab a few frames showing rush-hour Metra action.

1/2. Looking west at the MILW-W and UP-W lines as a parade of MILW district trains heads to Union Station to load for the outbound rush.

3. Looking south at the Amtrak/NS main with a metra train and intermodal train on NS visible.

Date: 10/27/14 21:01
Re: Elevated views of rushhour Metra

4/5. A close an wider view looking northwest at the split of the UP-N/NW and UP-W lines just outside Ogilvie Transportation Center. Just like on the MILW lines, at this moment trains are arriving from the coach yard to ready for the outbound rush.

Date: 10/27/14 21:03

6/7. And, from today, A Metra Electric train heads south as darkness sets in and a crescent moon hovers overhead

Date: 10/28/14 00:28
Author: mp51w

That's quite the telephoto shot down towards the South branch lift bridge!

Date: 10/28/14 01:27
Author: MartyBernard

In Picture 1 the farthest two trains are on the UP west line, ex-CNW. And yes, that's quite a telephoto lens. What room did you say you were in in the Holiday Inn.

Marty Bernard

Date: 10/28/14 04:35
Author: bandob

Glad to see some views are still possible from there. I was afraid new buildings had blocked the view.

B&OB

Date: 10/28/14 04:50

I was in a 15th floor ballroom for a wedding, using a 70-200m. That actually didn't get me to far in, particularly looking south, but since uploads to TO are only 1000px max height I cropped to zoom in more.

As for the view disappearing - it will be limited soon. There was a crane directly outside the window constructing a new building and the bride had a specific request that we try and avoid showing it in any footage (hard to do given that we were eye level with the crane operator!)

Date: 10/28/14 05:11
Author: ironmtn

All quite interesting. Thanks for posting them. The last two images of the Metra Electric are very special. Beautifully evocative images, especially for this guy who spent a lot of time commuting on those Highliners in a former life. Just terrific.

MC
Columbia, Missouri

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/14 05:12 by ironmtn.

Date: 10/28/14 13:00
Author: stash

Great photos. Exceptional views.

Date: 10/28/14 18:36
Author: kpcmcpkva

It would be an advantage if Train orders had a best train watching site by state and a site and/or list of rooms with a view

Date: 10/29/14 09:36
Author: atsf121

Number one is fantastic, look at all of the trains headed in.

Nathan

Date: 10/29/14 21:03
Author: 3rdswitch

Awesome grabs!
JB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0537 seconds